PDA

View Full Version : phillps lcd tv problem

spurskev
31-08-2011, 07:13 AM
hi there can anyone tell me what this fault might be when i turn it on i get a black vertical shadow going across the screen coming and going until it warms up then it settles down cheers.

SPX
31-08-2011, 07:33 AM
hi
possible caps in the power supply.
as they warm up they return to their correct values.
if you have a screw driver, have a look at the psu, caps normally leaking or starting to bulge !

spurskev
31-08-2011, 07:55 AM
thanks for that do you think it an exspensive repair .

passete
31-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Capacitors are not expensive, if you do it your self !
But if you put in a repair shop, it might be quite expensive.

sonic1
31-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Have a read of this thread

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?145632-Phiips-32PFL7962D-05-Dead&highlight=phillips

I have some capacitors left over if it helps and they are easy to replace.

It does not help but if you do some research you will see Phillips no longer make TV's and for a very good reason. They are crap.

keith mawer
31-08-2011, 05:52 PM
would any one really take the back of there set of and start looking around!!!!!!!
Not having knowledge could make matters worst.. ( well thats my opinion)

passete
31-08-2011, 06:16 PM
it can be worst, since the TV is dead !
Well, if you are realy a noob, beware with electricity :D

echelon
31-08-2011, 06:19 PM
would any one really take the back of there set of and start looking around!!!!!!!

I would , and have done , and fixed videos , upgraded dvd recorders , fixed technomates with blown capacitors , built a dj lightbox display with controller , adapted my dreambox into a different housing with ventilation and fans , dismantled-repaired-reassembled many pc,s and laptops , wired cat5 in all over the house , basically all sorts over the years

if parts are cheap and you can do it yourself , you save a fortune in labour costs

but if you pay somebody else to do the job ( the way our modern society seems to be ) - you pay a lot for that privilege !!

obviously you turn off at the mains and take precautions like earthing yourself and are careful around capacitors , discharging them with a short circuit , or leaving switched off at the mains for 24 hours before removing the back of the appliance

lets face it , if you dont do the above , you pay a lot in labour costs for somebody else to do it

hence the thread in the tm6000 section by holmroad

strange thing is , I was under the impression this was a hobbyists site for technical innovation , home skills and general electronics and computer stuff , with some D.I.Y. thrown in , not an anorak trainspotters forum for them that think its hard to switch a kettle on :D clearly I am mistaken !

sonic1
31-08-2011, 08:34 PM

It's a very valid point Keith, when I was a kid my dad could not even change a plug and still can't.
As I have worked in the motor industry all my life and I understand car electronics very well the extra voltage does not worry me, the principles are all the same.

Much like echelon I have networked my house, fitted my bathroom inc plumbing, moved and added sockets.
These days though you need to be careful as it needs to be signed off by a qualified person.

keith mawer
01-09-2011, 01:06 AM
SPURSKEV,, didnt mention how old his set was,,,,,
if not that old ,, most folk would have the tellie insured for breakdowns ...
my lg covered parts for the 1st year,, i then extended it for another year ( that ends next month) and i have decided to extend it another year....
some shops of course even do a 5 year parts guarantee...

spurskev
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
hi there thanks for info from all, the set is about 3 years old its my footie telle not the main set i am quite handy with repairs i am a plumber /handyman so if had a bit of advice i should be able to change capacitors many thanks kev.