PDA

View Full Version : Cant record on my dreambox 800se....help needed please

clive01
20-09-2011, 11:17 AM
hi.
i`m using a dreambox 800 se with nemesis 2.3 SVN (093) i`m trying to record on the hard drive of the dreambox.

the hard drive is installed, and is seen by the dreambox.(and seen when i insert it on a p.c)

I go to set up press ok,then system press ok
select hard disk press ok
select initialization and press ok
and select the highlighted hard drive and then press red "initialize"
the dreambox then says do i want to initialize the hard disk, i select yes and press ok
the dreambox then tried to initialize the hard drive, but i then get a error message which says........
unable to initialize harddrisk.
Error :creating partition failed
So when i try to recordi get a message No HDD found or HDD not initalized.

I`m i doing anything wrong, anyone using this same image and SVN number on a dreambox 800se manged to get a harddrive working?

thanks

passete
20-09-2011, 11:47 AM
No problem here !
Is this an internal or external hdd ?
If external try first to make a quick format with your win Pc, then connect to dm, make an hard reboot and re try to initialize again.

clive01
20-09-2011, 11:57 AM
hi, its an external hdd connected by usb.

I have already done a format in windows, deleted the stuff on the drive no problem.

thanks for the reply

passete
20-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Is the HDD self powered (external power suply) or powered by only the usb port ?

And when you connect for the first time on the dm, you did make an hard reboot ?

clive01
20-09-2011, 12:25 PM
hi, the usb hard drive has its own psu.

yes ive tried a hard reset 3 or 4 times on the dreambox, still the same error.

Do i need to install anything to allow me to record on the hard drive.
The hard drive itself is a 40 gig maxtor, and shows this size in the select HDD menu of the dreambox
thanks

this is the harddrive showing in windows....
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/unled1xly.jpg/

crabber
20-09-2011, 12:39 PM
This is just a guess, as mine has internal HDD. should you be trying to format and use as USB ? I wonder if HDD in the menu expects it to be internal.

passete
20-09-2011, 12:53 PM
hi, the usb hard drive has its own psu.

yes ive tried a hard reset 3 or 4 times on the dreambox, still the same error.

Do i need to install anything to allow me to record on the hard drive.
The hard drive itself is a 40 gig maxtor, and shows this size in the select HDD menu of the dreambox
thanks

Humm, external powered usb hdd's, sometimes gives problems !
Use EASEUS to format the hdd on ext3 with your Win pc, and then retry again !

clive01
20-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Humm, external powered usb hdd's, sometimes gives problems !
Use EASEUS to format the hdd on ext3 with your Win pc, and then retry again !

ive no idea how to do that to be honest.
ive install EASEUS but i cant even see one hard drive, it just shows files
im now trying a normal (not quick format on windows)

clive01
20-09-2011, 01:52 PM
ok an update, did a full format, still no different.
when i go to the blue panel manage devices hard disk information i see lots of different sub menu.
i click current information and i see
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD (identify) failed invalid exchange
/dev/sda: done
press ok to close window.
i guess this is not normal

passete
20-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Try like on the photos :

clive01
20-09-2011, 02:06 PM
hi thanks, ive done that now, said completed tried it on the dreambox, still the same message.

been reading hon this forum, should i be doing anything like this as talked about in the post
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?149126-dreambox-initializing-HDD-dream-elite&highlight=unable+to+initialize+ha rd+disk

sonic
20-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Have you tried a different image.
I've had trouble before with hdd's but when I moved to the NewNigma 2 image, it initialised the disk no problem and has worked trouble free.

clive01
20-09-2011, 04:38 PM
hi.
no havent tried different image im using nemesis 2.3 SVN (093), which i like to be honest.

brain
20-09-2011, 05:33 PM
If you have tried the above,my pennyworth would be to try a different image. I too like nem but have had some problems including sound and failing to boot up on usb. Just worth a try with Oozoon or the like and see what happens? Good luck - Brain

apriliarsvr
20-09-2011, 09:16 PM
hiya... i had trouble doing this so what i did was initialized the hdd on icvs image then reflashed nemisis and all has been fine since..!!

clive01
20-09-2011, 09:23 PM
hi, i think it would be an idea to try another image, but i have it all set up now, and its working well, so i will leave it alone.
looks like it might be an image problem rather than me, which is nice.

apriliarsvr
20-09-2011, 09:38 PM
its no sweat to put the icvs image on just to format the hdd.. then put the nemisis image back on.. will only take 15 mins tops..!! :0)

clive01
20-09-2011, 11:29 PM
what about if i use my old dreambox 7020, would that do, i don't really want to wipe the dreambox, all the sat positions etc, takes ages to set back up.

brain
20-09-2011, 11:43 PM
You dont have to - save all your present settings on DCC or Dreamboxedit and when you reflash just go through and then reload them all - simple! Once HDD is working then you save settings on the HDD. Good luck - Brain

clive01
21-09-2011, 07:51 AM
hi can you give me a step by step details, ive never done that before, i have my own channel list, but its the sat positions etc, that take the time.

thx

apriliarsvr
21-09-2011, 09:33 AM
i use dreamset.... all you do is read from the box to dreamset then all ur channel lists are saved.. so when you reflash you put your lists back in.. that step takes about 3 seconds..!!

then al you need to do is activete the sats your using in tuner config and job done..!!

brain
21-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Yup - sounds good. I do the same with dreamedit - receive files from DB, then reflash. open DEdit again and send files to DB. When you receive them just check lamedb and satellites.xml are present. Job done. Good Luck - Brain

clive01
21-09-2011, 01:35 PM
hi can u tell me how i save this using dreamedit, also am i just saving the channel list or the whole image?

thanks

passete
21-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Channels change almost everyday (frenquency, new transponders, new channels, etc) !
Flashing a new image, from A to Z, takes about 6/7 minutes maximum !
You just need to enter your sat config on the Wiz zard, choose NO for the scan and default sat, and make your own settings in 30 seconds here :
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?151176-How-to-make-your-own-settings-(channel-list)-On-E2-and-E1

clive01
21-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Channels change almost everyday (frenquency, new transponders, new channels, etc) !
Flashing a new image, from A to Z, takes about 6/7 minutes maximum !
You just need to enter your sat config on the Wiz zard, choose NO for the scan and default sat, and make your own settings in 30 seconds here :
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?151176-How-to-make-your-own-settings-(channel-list)-On-E2-and-E1

hi, i already make my own channel lists, that's not a problem, the reason i don't really want to reflash the box is because it takes me ages to install the positions in the dreambox.
I already have by channel list stored,and flashing the box is not a big job either, its just the sat positions itself, can these be stored somehow.

passete
21-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm also using a motor, and the Flash from A to Z takes 5/6 minutes !
Maybe you use a diferent setup ?

PS: never had to store any sat positions until Now, with my setup !

clive01
21-09-2011, 02:55 PM
i have a motor set up, and after a wipe of the image, i have to store very sat on the dreambox, this takes me over a hour.

passete
21-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Something like this, or diferent ?
And maybe using a V-box ?

clive01
21-09-2011, 03:31 PM
hi, i use a v box, with a channel master 1.2 dish.
Settings are stored in the v box and the dreambox.
With e1 images all settings where saved on a file called config, i could wipe my box, install the image, and over write the config file, all sorted, but i cant get this to work on e2 images

clive01
22-09-2011, 03:04 PM
hi, ok im thinking about changing to newnigma2 image on my 800se.

will i get any problems in doing this, i know how to flash an image via the web, but wondered if there is anything else i need to do.
i have the nemesis image (093) which is fully up to date

i wondered about this second stage thing
thanks

brain
22-09-2011, 03:43 PM
All the latest images will be up to date so no probs. A good idea when choosing the image is what you want to do with it and how well up your are on the techniques - some are more user friendly, especially for those of us still learning, than others. Also, as passete has said before, when you do load in another image do a software update so that all is up to spec before other things.Good Luck - Brain

Detlef
22-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I have heard of Linux boxes not being happy with HDDs that have already been used or formatted by Windows.

Try d/l'ing one of those standalone bootable Linux CDs and use it to format the HDD in ext2 format - yes, I know ext3 exists but a DB should now be able to prepare the HDD.

clive01
22-09-2011, 04:43 PM
this newnigma2 image posted here is quite old, is it still the latest version?

Also as i said i got all the updates on the nemesis image, but i think there was a bootloader update, as this newnigma2 image is older than the nemesis wont that cause me a problem.

Thanks for the replies here, im not a newbie on dreamboxes, but moving from a 7020 to a 800se has proved to be harder than i thought it would be.

passete
22-09-2011, 05:21 PM
this newnigma2 image posted here is quite old, is it still the latest version?

Also as i said i got all the updates on the nemesis image, but i think there was a bootloader update, as this newnigma2 image is older than the nemesis wont that cause me a problem.

Thanks for the replies here, im not a newbie on dreamboxes, but moving from a 7020 to a 800se has proved to be harder than i thought it would be.

if you looking for latest newnigma, here for 800se :

http://www.newnigma2.to/wbb2/jgs_db.php?action=download&download_id=140&sid=

clive01
22-09-2011, 09:55 PM
ok now installing newnigma 2.

ill add the lists etc,a dn see what happens when i try the harddrive

clive01
22-09-2011, 10:08 PM
hi, ok image on, how do i install mgcamd? i canty see no cams to download, need i need to add a file into dcc?
ok found the menu, installed

thx

passete
22-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Press Blue and you should have everything you need !

clive01
22-09-2011, 10:29 PM
cam wise yes all installed and dish moving.

Ive tried hard drive, still get the same error message, unable to initialize harddisk.
Error creating partition failed

When using newnigma 2 image on the blue panel i select system tools then device manager, i then see the hard drive i press ok and i get this message........... there is no partition on sdan/do you want to create them?
i then have 3 options........

1) will go back, which takes me back to the device screen.

2)create linux partition, when i select this, the cogs on the loading screen appears, then the boxes displays a green error screen and reboots.

3) create windows compatible partition fat32 which Ive not tried.

any ideas

thanks

clive01
23-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I have heard of Linux boxes not being happy with HDDs that have already been used or formatted by Windows.

Try d/l'ing one of those standalone bootable Linux CDs and use it to format the HDD in ext2 format - yes, I know ext3 exists but a DB should now be able to prepare the HDD.

hi, where do i get one from?

anyone here use a dreambox 800se with a usb hard drive, if so what image are you using if it formatted the hard drive without a problem, ive tried newnigma 2 and Nemesis image

thanks

saintomer1866
23-09-2011, 08:58 PM
have a look here

http://www.livecdlist.com/

St.O

passete
23-09-2011, 09:12 PM
The problem is that, some usb hdd (with dedicated power suply), give problems !
I don't have any problem using an usb powered hdd on any E2 dreambox.

clive01
23-09-2011, 10:09 PM
The problem is that, some usb hdd (with dedicated power suply), give problems !
I don't have any problem using an usb powered hdd on any E2 dreambox.

which model number and make of hdd are you using with your dreambox please.

Detlef
23-09-2011, 11:28 PM

The latest I've got is the DVD version of Knopix ( _http://www.knoppix.net/ ) - works great on my Desktop but eventually crashes my very old lappy. :)

There is also a CD version.

clive01
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
hi,just an update, decided too try again on this, what ever i tried wouldn't work, it wouldn't make the needed file systems. on the old harddrive.

Brought a new hard drive today, and bingo, worked first time, and is working great.
Put the old hard drive back in, no luck, so its hard drive related some how, so, im sorted as long as i use the new hard drive.

thanks

passete
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
And this New HDD, is also Powered with it's own power suply ?
Or just a usb powered one ?

clive01
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
And this New HDD, is also Powered with it's own power suply ?
Or just a usb powered one ?

hi it has its own psu and works fine, tried doing records, all working well.

thanks