PDA

View Full Version : STC6000 HD PVR firmware update questions

wombatch
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi, I just tried to update my STC 6000 HDPVR using the latest patches 1.99.99 and 2.09.35. Somehow the process got stuck the 1.99.99 bridge code appears to have installed (although I made the mistake of leaving the room while it did it so I didn't see any error possible messages). Now when I try to install the 2.09.35 firmware it simply tells me that an extra 22MB of space is needed and the box reboots.
The only plugin/addon I have is the webseal one I suppose I could try removing that but can anybody explain to me how this patching process works so I can look on the system and see where the space is missing from. Alternatively, if you know of a solution it would be great to hear about it.
Thanks for any help.

geoffh
09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi, I too would like to update with the latest firmware but I was waiting for guidence.
The last time Icecrypt updated the boot loader (1.054) for the stc 6000 it had to be done via a serial connection hence I am not sure how this 1.99.99 bridge update should be done as it appears not to be a full update. This could be why you are experiencing diffculties.
Like you I need guidence, ColdAsIce will help once he gets is head around the issue.
Geoff

ColdAsICE
11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Before I explain the upgrade procedure for the STC6000 I have to mention that I do not recommend it at present as I've found the new firmware a little buggy.
All new firmware will be using the new loader in the future so it will have to be done eventually. I just don't recommend it yet, as its a one way upgrade, it cannot be reversed at present and it also closes the door on the present Engima 2 Images.
I would wait until it has been refined and the E2 stuff catches up.
I have warned you but if you want to take the plunge don't forget to use the system data store to back up your settings and timers.

The upgrade procedure to upgrade to the new loader is as follows:

1. Use the bridge firmware v1.99.99 to start the upgrade procedure. This firmware is the final version in the V1 series so it will allow the next firmware to upgrade the loader as well. It is loaded in the normal USB memory stick fashion(firmware on the root directory of the Memory stick, place stick into receiver, popup windows appears, press red button to download).
2. Once the receiver has completed and rebooted, factory reset it.
3. Now load the V2.09.35 firmware, using the same procedure as in 1. Once this has loaded and the receiver reboots you should see it now has V6.00 loader.
Restore your settings and you should be good to go.

Memory space errors are normally caused by either not enough space on the USB memory stick or not carrying out the factory reset between upgrades.

p.s. if you are on v1.99.99 you can revert to v1.09.35, but once you have loader v6.00 you are stuck on v2 firmware.

geoffh
11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks ColdAsICE,
I will waite untill things settle down and proven to be reliable. Can you recomend a good Flash cleaner for the stc 6000 (with instruction)
Cheers

ColdAsICE
12-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Geoffh,
The cleaner you requested for the STC6000.
You will require the PC serial software called "Porter express" found in the tools and editors section to load it.
A Null modem lead and a PC with a serial RS232C port are also required.
Back up your setting and timers using the "save system data" option.
Power off the Icecrypt using the rear power switch.
Connect the Null modem lead and start Porter Express on the PC.
Select the correct port on the PC (normally 1) the lead is connected to and load the the flash firmware into porter, select download.
Now power up the Icecrypt if all is well you should see the transfer between PC and Icecrypt, indicated by "download" on the Icecrypt front display with a percentage next to it.
It takes ages(>10 minutes) to transfer so please be patient and wait till it flashes completed on the front display.
The reciever will require a reboot, so switch the rear power switch off and on again.
Now carry out a factory reset and then upgrade it to the latest firmware in the normal USB memory stick method.
Finally restore your previous settings and timers.
Hopefully the flash will have cleared any latent firmware memory errors.

wombatch
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Well having started this off (and being new to all this) I am not sure where I am now. Personally I am not so interested in the E2 stuff, maybe I am missing the point but there seem to be enough extras with the standard firmware for me. However I am interested in increasing the stability of the 6000 getting rid of the hangs and stuff like that, so I guess I wait too. The problem I have is that I don't know why I need this flash cleaner, to get rid of the 1.99.99 update, or for something else? Maybe I can leave the 1.99.99 update there?
As to the lack of memory errors, I did wonder about this, if I log onto the box then a df -m shows the stick as
/dev/sdb1 249 245 4 98% /STORAGE/USB1
Even though there is about 200MB free on it, perhaps there is some sort of USB driver issue? I may not know for a long time after the advice here!
I'd appreciate any comments on any or all of this.
Thanks.

geoffh
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
wombatch,
As I understand things the Flash cleaner is to clean up the flash memory that handles all the plugins and service data and not where the firmware is stored. Sometimes when you do a factory reset some bits of the original data are left behind which can interfere with with the proper funtion of the machine. So in effect running the cleaner enables you start afresh.
The 1.99.99 update to the boot loader is an update that prepares the bootloader for the next level of operating software (v2). Its the v2 level of software thats a bit flakey and not recomended to install just yet. However if you have already installed the v2 software there is no way back to the v1 (current) software and you have to live with the problems until a fix is found. So the 1.99.99 will handle the v1 and v2 but if you upgrade to v2 its a one way trip.
Hope this helps, its a cracking box but like a lot of new products in this game it takes a while to got it top notch and stable.
Like you I have a lot to learn and I chose this box because of its superb PQ and versatility, the downsides are, the support is not as extensive as some of its compititors but I am sure that will change as more boxes get into the market place.
ColsAsICE.
Great help on the Flash cleaner thx

ColdAsICE
13-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi Guys

The flash cleaner is for cleaning the Flash area used by the Firmware, not the Var used by the plugin's that's another cleaner.
The Flasher cleaner is normally used if your receiver doesn't start or has other unpredictable operating issues which can be caused by latent memory of previous firmwares etc.
V1.99.99 bridge firmware is basically v1.09.35 with the firmware number increased to allow the next stage firmware and boot loader upgrade. you can stick with it until the next stage becomes a little less buggy or take the jump and move on.
If you decide to move on then free up space on the memory stick or use a larger one.