PDA

View Full Version : Hotbird and Astra in one dish or two separate?

dch2gav
19-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Guys,

At the moment I pay sky £18 per month for basic package but being Greek I would love to watch Nova on Hotbird as well as sky on astra using a dreambox plus cs for the same price!!:respect-064:

Could I buy one dish with two lnbs for both Astra and Hotbird or its better to buy a second dish just for Hotbird seeing that I already have one installed from sky?

If I need a second dish for Hotbird would an 80cm from the well known auction site be ok?

Thanks in advance for your help ......

Aris

BM300
19-10-2011, 07:11 AM
You can use the existing dish to get both Astra and Hotbird, but this a compromise.
It is better to get a second dish for Hotbird but I would go for 90cm or 1m dish.
You can use a diseqc switch to watch channels from both dishes.
If you replace the LNBs with twin output on each dish, you can have 2 separate recivers.

echelon
19-10-2011, 08:21 AM
actually you are unlikely to be able to use the existing dish for anything other than sly , as its not pointed at astra but at astra 2 at 28.2e

you really need a bigger dish with multiple lnb,s on it , or a second dish pointed at hotbird , leaving the present sly dish pointed at 28.2e astra 2/eurobird 1

the larger dish can be used for more than hotbird , and with a diseqc switch easily slots into your setup , and multiple output lnb,s like twins or quads cater for more than 1 box by using more than 1 diseqc switch

Gr8Guy
19-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Easy & inexpensive option would be a 2 way DisSEqC switch (£3-4) and put in a second sky dish for hotbird (about £20 for the dish or £30 with all the fixings). There's no point spending out for a bigger dish when you don't need it. In London I have hotbird working fine 24/7 on a zone 2 dish (watching TVEi atm with 73% quality).

Ghostleader
20-10-2011, 10:12 AM
A 80cm will get all they birds fine mate, I get from 5W to 28E on a ISS 80cm perforated dish here in central Scotland 16 miles from Glasgow, see attached pic.

echelon
20-10-2011, 11:04 AM
A 80cm will get all they birds fine mate, I get from 5W to 28E on a ISS 80cm perforated dish here in central Scotland 16 miles from Glasgow, see attached pic.

very nice , looks like you have got 2 lnb racks on it , one a triple plastic one , and the other an adjustable bar version

what satellite have you got it centred on ? - hotbird ?

and what is 0.8w like for sig and quality ?

Ghostleader
20-10-2011, 11:30 AM
very nice , looks like you have got 2 lnb racks on it , one a triple plastic one , and the other an adjustable bar version

what satellite have you got it centred on ? - hotbird ?

and what is 0.8w like for sig and quality ?

Thanks mate, yes Hotbird is the focus sat & yes two LNB's Multibrackets one plastic from WOS London that I bought to use at first to use for the usual suspects (13E,19E,28E) the other side is the bracket I use for installs for customers mate a Metronic 28-30 degree two piece bracket. I get o.k. signal levels for the few strong transponders that are on 1W. In an ideal world (The wife divorces me!:respect-037:lol) I would buy the current dishes bigger brother (ISS90) so I could get more of the high powered eastern birds such as 39E, 42E.