PDA

View Full Version : Lg 50 plasma fault

spurskev
27-10-2011, 07:40 AM
hi there my lg 50pk360 plasma has gone wrong it tries to come on screen lights up then goes off then keeps trying to come on doing the same thing over again, any ideas what it could be still under warranty only 10 months old maybe lg are crap.

xanadu
27-10-2011, 07:46 AM
If it's under warranty then get it fixed for free and don't worry about what's wrong with it. :)

Power supplies are the usual thing to go wrong in any brand of plasma or LCD TV.

spurskev
27-10-2011, 07:53 AM
was hoping i could get refund wy should power supply go so soon just makes me think its ataste of things to come fault after fault do you think lg are crap.

SPX
27-10-2011, 08:16 AM
common fault on samsung and lg.
low grade capacitors used.
we always replace with higher grade/temp types.

echelon
27-10-2011, 09:27 AM
was hoping i could get refund wy should power supply go so soon just makes me think its ataste of things to come fault after fault do you think lg are crap.

you are not entitled to a refund as you have had the tv far too long !!

I always find it amazing that people dont know the sale of goods act 1979 and how it applies to the consumer , given we have had it now for 32 years ! , its usually mentioned a lot in many consumer magazines like computeractive and there is a wealth of info on the net regarding it , never mind the later amendments in 1994 to strengthen it in some areas , plus the distance selling regulations that sometimes apply when first buying an item online

my first advice is check your rights online using the usual websites so that you know what it is you are entitled to , and then you wont be asking for something unreasonable like a refund !!

_http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained/

Requesting a repair or replacement

If a customer has accepted the goods and is requesting a repair or replacement because the goods are faulty, the onus on who is required to prove the problem depends on how long ago they purchased the item.

Under six months - the customer does not have to prove the item was faulty when they bought it from you. If you disagree it is up to you, the retailer, to prove the item did conform to contract (or that the fault did not exist) at the time of sale.

Over six months - you are entitled to ask the customer to prove the item was faulty when they bought it from you. If they are able to do this they are entitled to a repair or replacement.

_http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returning-damaged-or-faulty-goods/

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.ht ml

YOUR RIGHTS WHEN YOU BUY GOODS

The Sale of Goods Act 979, amended in 1994, say that when you buy goods from a trader they must fit the description, be of satisfactory quality - which includes lasting a reasonable length of time - and be fit for their purpose. If goods aren't of satisfactory quality you're entitled to compensation, which is normally the cost of repairs. The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods don't meet these requirements.

A manufacturer's one-year guarantee is in addition to these rights - many offer free repair or replacement without quibble. Extended warranties are an extension of this.

as you have had it over 6 months the onus can be upon you to prove it is faulty , but your first port of call is the retailer , as your contract is with them , they have the onus of sorting the matter out , so complain verbally , and in writing , and keep a copy , if necessary send the complaint recorded delivery and keep the proof of postage too , note:- some shops may have a 12 month no-quibble guarantee for this aspect

they have the task of either having it repaired OR to offer you a pro-rata deal whereby you may get a refurbished tv of similar or better spec , and they could even offer you a refund ( unlikely , but they could do)

the point here is you are being unreasonable in asking for a refund , and what you should be asking for is a suitable repair or replacement , with some sort of extended retailer warranty to go with this repair

in england and wales you have up to 6 years to prove inherent faults and have them repaired free of charge , but you may have to prove the inherent fault exists

my lads samsung 37 inch lcd tv went faulty after about 3 years due to an inherent and well known fault similar to this psu fault mentioned by SPX , it was picked up and repaired free of charge , but he bought it through DSG , now D*xons Retail plc so had the big company to deal with , who tasked a local repairer in manchester to pick it up and repair it and return it , and it didnt cost him a penny in the end and still works , he did have to pay the company for the initial inspection that proved the inherent fault existed , and DSG refunded this once it was apparent the fault existed

the point is know your rights , dont be unreasonable and dont expect to get refunds as a matter of course , no retailer makes money by giving refunds , especially as the prices drop on tv,s all the time , and specs improve too , so they would soon be out of business

the law states they can replace it with a tv of similar or better spec , if they cannot fix it , a refund would be their last resort , but very unlikely

there are some members with LG tv,s on here that think they are the business , others less so , myself included , but all manufacturers have good and bad models , and tend to fit lower grade components that can fail early

keith mawer
27-10-2011, 10:33 AM
you are just unlucky m8.. i have had my lg 47" lcd for over a year. and its the best thing i have ever bought...
i still have insurance on my lg and no ifs or butts , phone the telephone number and a guy will mend YOUR LG PLASMA
SIMPLES.

bob
27-10-2011, 11:37 AM
The LG 50PK360 plasma has a known fault, but must only be dealt with by a fully qualified engineer. In your case by your retailers service dept, or there appointed service agent, otherwise the Guarantee could be invalidated.
Have you informed them of your problems, and what was there response?
I would be a little surprised if they were not sympathetic, being there responsibility in this case.
I do share echelon view on LG, but that’s of no help to you. Reliability of LG is on par with other brands.
The advice given in posts two and five is worthy of note.

spurskev
27-10-2011, 09:41 PM
yer i know what your saying but was a bit **** off for it to go wroug so soon they should not use doggey parts knowing theres going to be problems and build up a good name no wonder they always try and sell you cover thats the problem money to be made on us consumers may be theres a cosy set up between them.Any way i did check out my rights but thougt it was worth a go . set being pict up for repair some one said philips were crap but it took 3 years for that one to start playing up and i have 3rd telly in bedroom a philips lcd 9 years old was main set still going stroug, thanks for the replys.

spurskev
27-10-2011, 09:43 PM
hi bob wonder what is the known fault is it the one i have cheers.

xanadu
27-10-2011, 09:56 PM
The LG 50PK360 plasma has a known fault, but must only be dealt with by a fully qualified engineer..

What known fault?

That's like saying every TV with a power supply has a known fault waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

What's with the fully qualified? Anyone that can undo a few screws and swap a circuit board? :D

RABBY
27-10-2011, 10:01 PM
DO NOT BYE A [ plasma ] TV ?? So much can go Wrong ?? They are not that good Anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a LG 47 "[ Backlite 3D TV ] JUST SUPER[ Believe me ]:sifone:

xanadu
27-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a LG...... JUST SUPER[ Believe me ]:sifone:

I have 2 x LG TV's ...one Plasma...one LCD and never had any problems.

As for the 50PK360... this seems to be made for the Korean market as Google shows nothing on it for Europe or does the OP mean 50PK350 ?

RABBY
27-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I have 2 Also m8 [ one that i have said ] ~+ [42 "] LCD ???? That has a super picture as Well ?? Cannot Fault Anything ? BUT the PRICE [£700 ] Price diffence between Both ?? You get what you pay for [ LG ] Is one of the Best:respect-039:

Skanco
28-10-2011, 10:16 AM
@spurskev, the professional term, known fault, is a term applied to goods that have a failure rate of 10% to 20% in the first twelve months from date of purchase, involving the same components failure. I think in the case of the LG 50PK360 this involves a large SMD, and replacement involves a Re-work Station, and a board upgrade. This can be carried out in two ways, Board exchange, or component replacement by a well equipped workshop, and the board will need to be set up, not a job for the amateur .Board jockeying can be very expensive when carried out by well intentioned armatures, but that is up to them, “if the equipment is owned by them” There is more to Plasma, LCD, LED TV servicing than removing the back cover and looking for the odd Leakey Capacitor, and at this point I must add your TV may not belong in this category, because symptoms displayed by a TV can very often relate to a different causes. I also think that is why you were advised to seek professional help.
If you’re TV was purchased in the UK it is then subject to the 2Year rule and could be deemed not fit for purpose.
You do need to answer the question in post 7. Have you informed them of your problems, and what was there response?.

bob
29-10-2011, 12:06 AM
@Skanco , Quite right m8, I see you remember most of what you were taught. Good to see some professionals contribute, and if I may add the term not of merchantable quality to the two year rule reference.
Just hope spurskev, gets it sorted, and should be done free of charge

koshba
29-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi guys,i have had my 50" lg plasma for over 4 years now and recently its developed a fault,well it must be a fault because it never use to do it before,when playing a dvd/blu ray or watching a movies through sky or freeview i get a flicker on the top and bottom black bars,but doesnt do it all the time tho,what could it be?

RABBY
29-10-2011, 08:07 PM
opps !!!Forgot to say I have a Panasonic [ PLASMA 42 " ] It is the Egnition [ Like a spark plug in your car ] That is Fooked ?? Gives the gas a spark to get the Plasma to GO [ Cheap to replace ] Iff you do it yourself ?? But [ £500 ] For the Ripp of Engineers to Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Plasmas are a thing of the past [ That is why you get them so Cheap ] Stay AWAY:party:

Exactully same Problem that [ spurskev ] Is Having ?????????????/

Lee-D
29-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I have a 42" lg lcd freeview hd and recently it has started flashing black on and off on the hd channels, turns out the hd channels are flicking from 1080i to 1080p, lg told me its a common problem, they were supposed to send an engineer out friday but rang and cancelled saying he'd been sent home suspended, dont think i would touch another lg again:07:

kmc
30-10-2011, 12:14 AM
i've got an lg 47lf7700,and must admit it's been great,but today i have noticed a faint dark band on the screen,mainly noticeble when i was watching the footy.the thing is now i know it's there i'm looking for it all the time,it's quite irritatingfortunately i have a five year warranty.
cheers
km

bob
30-10-2011, 12:31 AM
@Lee-D
A firmware upgrade from ver3.15 to ver3.75 should sort your problem, this is depended on model.

freebe
31-10-2011, 08:42 PM
You People just put the **** into me i just bought 2 LG 42PT353 and now i think i might have done the wrong thing :o15:
Anybody else got one of these ?
But to say about the price 340€ thats about 1€ a Day i can buy a new one again next year.
And if i get 2 years out of it then im winning :D