PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use satellite Broadband

satpaul
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Is it ok to use satellite Broadband a freind is having it installed today and want to know if a spiderbox will work on it he lives on a farm where you cant get broadband on the telephone line thats rural Lincolnshire for you

gbmitie
10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
there may be a problem with latency and i have not seen any posts yet where someone has actually used sat broadband.

gb-

echelon
10-11-2011, 11:35 AM
its a top drawer question that deserves a good answer , just so we all know , good luck with it

paulus
10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I cannot be definitive, but I would expect the delay (transit time up to satellite and back down) to be OK for browsing but a problem for CS? I would be surprised if the glitching would not increase to an unacceptable level. Just my expectation, anyone with first hand knowledge?

taffykid
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
not sure how would do this with a spiderbox . i cant even see mine on the network (it's a 7000).the only way i've seen this work is to use a pc card like the skystar .

fernandez
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Hard question to answer,but it *may* be OK if this is anything to go by
(assuming it's the same firm or one offering a smilar set-up)

_h**p://www.toowaybroadband.co.uk/features_and_benefits.php

echelon
10-11-2011, 04:54 PM
you would assume if its a real time feed it wouldnt matter how it was delivered , apart from latency

Detlef
10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Some encryption types could easily tolerate a typical up and down delay (single satellite around trip time of 0.3 seconds) . The odd / even control word swaps well ahead of its use and the decrypted word sits there waiting to be used.

I'll see if I can work out how often some of the popular ones swap from odd to even.

Sly (NDS) 7.5 seconds.
NED (Irdeto ) 10 seconds
RAI4 (Nagra/Seca) 10 seconds
Bulsat (Irdeto) 12.5 seconds

What is not known is the delay between generating the DCW and it use.

Back in the good old D2Mac days it was once a minute.

RABBY
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Spiderbox will work Fine , with Sat Broadband !!! Just been on the phone to FENDOCH He had sat broadband for a few years ?? He is going to Post Later tonight when he gets home , What you have to DO!!:respect-037: