PDA

View Full Version : recovery tool issues ?

RABBY
19-11-2011, 05:34 PM
bob

Is this 9900 recovery tool Working m8 ?? Got a [ F 100 ] On my spiderbox 9900HD ?? Says it is connected at [115200 ] Nothing Happens

echelon
19-11-2011, 05:44 PM
bob

Is this 9900 recovery tool Working m8 ?? Got a [ F 100 ] On my spiderbox 9900HD ?? Says it is connected at [115200 ] Nothing Happens

any problems are always with members pc or laptops or adapters or null modem cables etc

ideally use an XP pc with com port and null modem cable , nothing else

mister-t
19-11-2011, 06:14 PM
it does take a while to connect,but when i used it i had to do it a couple of times before it started to work,what i did find was switching spider box off on rear,run recovery tool then switch back on with
rear switch on spider seemed to kick it in

mister-t

Anrakh
19-11-2011, 07:04 PM
it does take a while to connect,but when i used it i had to do it a couple of times before it started to work,what i did find was switching spider box off on rear,run recovery tool then switch back on with

mister-t

That's not an original observation, I'm afraid.
That is the only procedure for using it. If you don't power off the spiderbox it can't work.

echelon
19-11-2011, 07:17 PM
definitely has to be done from a switch on , to kick it into accepting the serial load , as it was on other boxes I have had in the past

EDIT

NB:- I split this thread from the tools thread posted by BOB and made this a separate thread of its own

the original thread has been closed to stop anyone else posting in it and breaking the rules

the details of that original thread have been posted below by aldo

Aldo
19-11-2011, 10:03 PM

mister-t

If you read the instructions included with the recovery tool you would have seen this:

Recovery tool HD9900

1. Switch off STB - ( For me that means Remove Power )
2. Run download.exe on PC
3. Select COM port and Press connect button
4. Press "Choose file" and select the attached HD9900_rs232.bin
5. Switch on STB
6. you will see the progress status on PC
7. STB will auto-reboot after finishing the downloading.

set baud rate at 115200 on your com port in device manager

Added my opinion

snakie
20-11-2011, 03:13 AM
No need to set the baud rate from device manager,all serial loaders are adjusting the baud when they open the port.
What can happen though is sometimes the grounding of receiver and pc is not good and you may have to reboot the pc to have the serial port working again.

Aldo
20-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi M8

I think that the info ref the baud was made as additional info as there were some people who did ask what the baud rate should be set at, and the question was also raised on this forum not so long ago, the older and more experienced users do not need to be reminded.

echelon
20-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I always set the com port baud rate to 115200 from 9600 , and I have always found it makes things faster when flashing boxes

drive a ferrari behind a milk float and you travel at 5mph , not 200mph
drive on an open derestricted road where the limit is set to 200mph , you drive at any speed you like , from 5mph to 200mph

RABBY
21-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Well I am Beat ?? Got Another[ Usb to Serial ] Today ?? Running on my lappy [ XP ] Says it is Connected ?? But Nothing Happens!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strange :smash:

Aldo
21-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Well I am Beat ?? Got Another[ Usb to Serial ] Today ?? Running on my lappy [ XP ] Says it is Connected ?? But Nothing Happens!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strange :smash:

Hi M8

Have you followed all of the instructions in post#6. It does sometimes times take more than one attempt to get the recovery tool to work.

RABBY
21-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Aldo

Yes m8 ? Was Trying Yesterday as well ?? Think I Will get a New Null modem cable tomorrow [ Might be That ] It is a old one ? Used it in the [ Dreambox , humax ] Days!!!!Fooking ****ed OFF ?LOL

gbmitie
21-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Rabby, f100 does not necessarily mean a problem, did you switch off box at back, then undo lnb and make sure it is wired correctly, reoconnect lnb, power on at back then switch on with remote. If you did all that and still got f100 then its a fault.

Its nigh on impossible to use the usb serial, the easiest is a desktop with serial port and win xp. you also need special drivers with the usb to have any chance. can you access a desktop pc? another option is to get a docking station for laptop with a serial port.

some have got usb to work but after numerous attempts.

i can dig out link for drivers if you want to try that route.

gb-

RABBY
21-11-2011, 08:28 PM
gbmitie
Hello m8 ? Had the [Usb @ serial] Working in the Old days ? I No they are a Pain in the Arse? LOL

But there is not many computers or Lapps going about these days with Serial ports

P.S Got the Latest Drivers ? Taa

Will try reconnecting to LNB

RABBY
21-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Just A Question ?? Does Anyone no WHY ?? They Done away with[ RS232 ] Serial Ports on Computers!!!

Beats ME :boxing_smiley:

echelon
21-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Just A Question ?? Does Anyone no WHY ?? They Done away with[ RS232 ] Serial Ports on Computers!!!

Beats ME :boxing_smiley:

errr, to save money , make items cheaper and not have olde worlde ports they dont think are relevant

which has got feck all to do with spiderboxes , or any other boxes

not having the correct tools for the job is no excuse

yerars ago we had spanners that were whitworth , af and bsp , now its all effin metric , get over it

if you want to use tools to do a certain job , use the correct tools that have been around for 20 years

there are literally millions of pc,s and desktops in the uk that will do the task , but YOU have chosen to have a modern lappy , not running xp and not having a serial port

well tough , new isnt always best , and the old tried and tested ways always win out , like you were told about cellphones

so the fact that your lappy isnt up to scratch doesnt make it a spiderbox issue as the same could be said if you had a tm1500 , a samsung 9500 viaci or a dreambox 500 or humax , you chose to have said modern lappy ffs

if you havent got the correct tools , sort the fooker out , a cheap £5 pc off a car boot will do the job ffs

its not a spiderbox issue , pure and simple

as an old skool professional you should know the correct tools are paramount to getting a job done , so quit whinegeing ;)

RABBY
21-11-2011, 10:08 PM
echelon

Iff you Read my post m8 ? My Lappy still has [ XP ] On it [ For just these problems ] But as you No ?? I Have 2 :respect-055:

Anyway at the work there is a commputer [ Grave yard ] Will have a look there!!!!!!

I AM NOT BEAT YET ?? Believe ME

P.S Been on the Wine you old FOX:respect-054:

bob
21-11-2011, 10:11 PM
When you encounter this type of problem I would suggest you use a Desktop or Tower pc running XP, Windows 7, is not the right tool for this job, unless its Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate, that has a standard com port . Or fit a Serial I/O Card. The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550, and connect using a null modem cable.
Then load up the tools and files, and Reflash your box.

The RS232 standard was needed because a simple cable (1 to 1) was to be used between the two
units and that means the pinouts on the units had to be reversed. The result is a computer
port and a modem port that could be connected together by a straight-though cable. In
some cases, the connector gender was also reversed to designate the configuration type.
As technology advanced, modems are rarely found and many of the signals are no longer
used but the legacy of the port differences remains to this day.

Echelon, explanation is as good as any LOL

Looks like you're sorted now M8, but this may be of some use to another member.

echelon
21-11-2011, 10:13 PM
echelon

Iff you Read my post m8 ? My Lappy still has [ XP ] On it [ For just these problems ] But as you No ?? I Have 2 :respect-055:

Anyway at the work there is a commputer [ Grave yard ] Will have a look there!!!!!!

I AM NOT BEAT YET ?? Believe ME

P.S Been on the Wine you old FOX:respect-054:

its still a lappy lacking a com port ( fook usb to serial adapters )

unlike 2 of my hp and dell lappys that DO have a serial com port

neither of which has anything remotely to do with spiderboxes , but a lack of the correct tools on the part of the spiderbox owner ( you, not me )

a man of your calibre and standing from the old school where humax rules along with xp , null modem cables and fifo com ports should not be letting a simple 20 year old task be beyond you ;)

I can assure you that I , ech , have the correct tools for the job

RABBY
21-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Bob

Running[ Win7 Ultimate] On my Tower PC ?? intresting reading some things can be Done with using Newer Equipment [ The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550 ] Look into this !!!!!!!

OR

Using old tools ??Like OLD [ech ]:woohoo-022:

Back in Times

echelon
21-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Bob

Running[ Win7 Ultimate] On my Tower PC ?? intresting reading some things can be Done with using Newer Equipment [ The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550 ] Look into this !!!!!!!

OR

Back in Times

it is worth noting here , you are the one complaining , not me

stfu and get on with it m8

this is small potatos to an admin , or an admin in waiting ;)

RABBY
21-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Was Looking into all this when [ech ] Was slagging me off ??

Have a look here [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port ]

echelon
21-11-2011, 10:40 PM
so as somebody who regularly states on here he knows everything about everything , and knows whats going on 24/7

get on with it and quit typing and quit yakking , seeing as you have done it all before on your humax , its the same again m8 . so just do it , dont just talk about it ;)

dishdad
21-11-2011, 10:45 PM
.................a man of your calibre and standing from the old school where humax rules along with xp , null modem cables and fifo com ports should not be letting a simple 20 year old task be beyond you ;)

I can assure you that I , ech , have the correct tools for the job

Nice to read this threads content. Not a Spider but had to reflash the old Dreambox 7000 today after a longish time out of use, probably corrupted boot somehow, but as this thread touches a similar event, I had to use the null modem (only about the third time in about 7 years) but again a life saver. Used software prog DreamEdit with Windows 7 running on a tower.

The explanatory post by Aldo is almost a mirror image for the Dreambox process.

I could not believe that I remembered the process after all that time but in those days the DB was one bast*ard of a learning curve as many here will agree, so.....as said and or hinted above, the right tools needed.

Anyway, am sure Rabby will sort it............good job he remained with the forum and still seems fair game to receive a few more bullets from us all. :respect-055:

Best wishes to all.

RABBY
21-11-2011, 10:49 PM
ech ??? I am Stressed m8 ? All will Happen Tommorrow ?? Rapped everthing up about a hour AGO?? LOL!!Not to Bothered? But I Will get it sorted

Will have to GO shortly ?? Engineering company to sort of Run [ FORMAN ] You no what i meen ?? LOL

echelon
21-11-2011, 10:51 PM
ech ??? I am Stressed m8 ? All will Happen Tommorrow ?? Rapped everthing up about a hour AGO?? LOL!!Not to Bothered? But I Will get it sorted

Will have to GO shortly ?? Engineering company to sort of Run [ FORMAN ] You no what i meen ?? LOL

yes I do m8 , just make sure you have the right tools for THAT job , even if the tools and knowledge are 20 years old , dont act like a newbie that cant open his lunchbox or is told to go for a long stand or a left handed hammer .LOL.

RABBY
21-11-2011, 11:00 PM
ech

Comming up [ 32 ] Years m8 ?? Fooking getting OLD ?? The MIND Is is not what it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I Will get through this!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER GIVE UP[ Untill it is sorted ]:eek:

RABBY
22-11-2011, 08:40 PM
echelon

My mate from Glasgow ?? Is Comming with a old Lappy on Thursday ? He is the same as you Keeps all the OLD Fooking Thinks [ Does not Bin Anything ] He bought it just for the same purpose ?? He is into all the gadges ?? He has also Tried all the [ USB @ SERIAL ] With no Luck ?? Will have to wait [HE IS NOT GETTING IT BACK ]But he does?? SHAME??He got it on [ Ebey ]Anyway Tried at work ? There was 10 old computers [ But they were not OLD ]Enoegh

So Really Just to Let you No [ I am on IT ] So you can Sleep at Night!!:woohoo-022:

echelon
22-11-2011, 08:57 PM
your m8 is correct , sometimes the old uns are the best uns

I have an old dell laptop and old hp laptop that both run xp and both have serial com ports and both can flash boxes and routers

I assume you remember that flashing a netgear router thread I had going where old lappys with com ports were needed ?

that was done due to having an old lappy with com port , and the simple mistake I was making was not swapping official firmware to hacked firmware at the crucial point

those same lappys can flash a tm1500 , samsung 9500 viaci , tm9100 , clarketech 1500 , dreamboxes , icecrypts , as well as load channel lists and softcams , they can flash netgear and sagem routers too

I also have a few hp/compaq XP desktops that also have com ports that will do the jobstoo

sometimes all this new gadgetry fails at crucial moments , whereas tried and tested methods always win out

and dont make the mistake of thinking I dont have anything modern with win7 , I have a 3gig ram sony vaio 17 inch laptop with 2 hdd fitted and running an official copy of win7 pro 32 bit , unlike many of you on here who are running hacked versions or win7 premium or basic , all my win7 products are original :)
I even have an original win7 ultimate ready to go on if needs be , and my spare asus lappy is also running win7 premium family edition ( original )

if those old computers were XP and had pci slots you could have fitted a pci card with com ports on it for doing this too , just take the blinkers off and never assume new is always best

RABBY
22-11-2011, 09:12 PM
echelon

[ were XP and had pci slots you could have fitted a pci card with com ports on it for doing this too ]

Tried that years Ago Also [ Nightmare ] All is Comming Back ?? Think wee have been Here Before Years Ago ?? Good Learning Curve for Neebees [ YOU NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS ]For a [ F100 ] Never ever had it on [Spiderbox 9000] It Happened when I used [9900hd @9000hd ] Loop ? Got the [F100 ] Just watch what you chaps are Doing ?Still Wondering about the [F100 ]

RABBY
22-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Back to my Question [ Why no RS 232 ] Connection on Computers ?? Think I Made my Mind up with this One !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [ Dreambox ,spiderbox , Humax ect ect ] Put [ RS 232 ] Connectors on there Boxes ??So iff anything goes **** UP ?? You HAVE TO SEND IT BACK TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which I Think is Crap ?? Why No [ USB ] Fixes!!!!!!!!!!!

Rest My Case:respect-048:

Anrakh
22-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Rabby, is your box actually STUCK on F100 or does the box continue booting? Some users have tried to get rid of the F100 message appearing even though its part of the normal boot process and nothing to be concerned about.

RABBY
22-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Anrakh

STUCK on [F100 ] m8

RABBY
22-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Forgot to say ? Hooked everthing up again [Loop ] 9000HD Works @9900HD Getting[F100 ]Switch off the [9900HD ]Then 9000HD [No signal ] So As I Can see the [9900HD ] Still sorts of Works but ? Will Not Boot up[Hope this helps ]!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldo
22-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Bob

Running[ Win7 Ultimate] On my Tower PC ?? intresting reading some things can be Done with using Newer Equipment [ The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550 ] Look into th

Back in Times

Hi M8

Does your tower have a com port, if so run the recovery on that, I am almost sure that I ran the recovery on my tower with windows 7 Ultimate, and it did work

RABBY
22-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Aldo

Defo NO [ RS 232 ]com port on my PC ?? New computers do not have this??? You have to go back to the dark ages of computers

RABBY
22-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Back to my reply[RS232 ]It is not Rocket science?? They gave this up FOR [USB ] Why Do they not use [USB ]For Flashing your Box ]??????????????

Waiting For a Reply ??

NO ONE WILL ANSWER THIS QUESTION ?? Just because [ I AM RIGHT ]:respect-056:

echelon
22-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Back to my reply[RS232 ]It is not Rocket science?? They gave this up FOR [USB ] Why Do they not use [USB ]For Flashing your Box ]??????????????

Waiting For a Reply ??

NO ONE WILL ANSWER THIS QUESTION ?? Just because [ I AM RIGHT ]:respect-056:

a usb adapter has to change the coding from usb signals into the older com port fifo signals , and the timing has to be correct , and the OS has to support the old dos command system

apart from the usb to serial adapter timing issues , microshaft removed the xp dos compatibility in most win7 versions so that it didnt rely on it like xp and vista did , and its only built in with pro and ult win7 , hence aldos reply

so you will find that a serial mouse will work on a usb 2 serial adapter in win7 , but due to conversion and timing and conversion issues it generally wont flash a box or router , probably because the flashing tools are built on the old command setup and the timing is also crucial

I have personally tested usb 2 serial adapters on win7 lappys using a serial mouse , no problem , and tried null modem cables and flashing or talking to various boxes and routers like I mentioned above , all failed in win7 pro , but I did manage to talk to my tm1500 and a netgear dg834 router in vista home premium on the same lappy , thereby it can be an OS issue as much as the adapter issue , never mind the actual windows drivers to do the job

the fact is that serial ports are the most reliable method of flashing boxes , there are tens of millions of xp pc,s and laptops that can do the job all over the world ( just not in rabbys small world ) , and so almost anyone , even in 3rd world countries with all our old cast offs , can flash a box

also , the 9000 can also suffer from being stuck on F100 boot , its just that you havent had it yet on your 9000 , doesnt mean others havent though

as an engineer you should be aware of the following :-

" a bad workman always blames his tools" :D

Aldo
22-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Aldo

Defo NO [ RS 232 ]com port on my PC ?? New computers do not have this??? You have to go back to the dark ages of computers

Well all I can say is that my tower must be old as it does have an RS232 com port, and the recovery tool did work for me. I was not aware of all the info posted by echelon in post#38 at that time. :respect-048:

RABBY
22-11-2011, 11:40 PM
ECH

You have lost it m8??

YOU ARE POSTING STUFF I NO[ Read the Thread ][BYE

Mickha
22-11-2011, 11:48 PM
You can get a PCI com port adapter that usually works but I made sure at least one of my PC's has a dedicated com port.

mister-t
22-11-2011, 11:49 PM
stiil got my old tower,use it everyday,,would never buy a new one,maybe because i'm to tight lol,but the f100 happens on 9000's also,happened to me,but my trusty old tower running xp home
and comport on the rear sorted it out,cant even remember where i got null modem cable from,but remember using it on good old sammy,anyway hope you get sorted soon

mister-t

RABBY
22-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Mickha

Read Post [ 30 ] Thanks

I NO WHAT I AM DOING??? [It will be sorted shortly ]

Aldo
22-11-2011, 11:58 PM
@mister-t

The old tower is a good standby in case of any mishaps on the spiderbox. :respect-048:

echelon
23-11-2011, 12:50 AM
ECH

You have lost it m8??

YOU ARE POSTING STUFF I NO[ Read the Thread ][BYE

and you are talking kak m8

this is the spiderbox section , not the pc section

Mickha

Read Post [ 30 ] Thanks

I NO WHAT I AM DOING??? [It will be sorted shortly ]

you dont know jack ..................

and you were given the answer in post 2 , despite posting in the wrong section