PDA

View Full Version : Sim card unlocker chip

PLANTPOT
06-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi guys,
has anyone used one of these sim unlockers for mobile phones?
Never heard of them before today,it seems they are supposed to allow a locked to network phone to be used on any network although it does not physically unlock it.
It is a circuit board that sits beneath a sim card to enable it to connect to any network,as long as the chip is in place.
But do they work?
PP

izzy
06-12-2011, 10:57 PM
i have one.i've used for nokia n95 2 years ago. works well. paid 20 for it

PLANTPOT
06-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks Izzy,
they are much cheaper now so will give it a go.
I have already had 2 cables delivered and it seems nobody can count as I needed a cable with a full pin set and not the standard 6 pins.
This chip will be an easier option.
Thanks for prompt reply.
PP

PLANTPOT
24-12-2011, 04:31 PM
The chip arrived this morning,was held up in customs as most things are.
I fitted it into my faithful Nokia 6630,yes it's a brick by todays standard but I like it,and it is still a very useful phone.
Within seconds it had found and locked onto the French Lycamobile network.
I only paid £1-49 with free postage from a little Chinaman,so this could be a very cheap way for you to unlock your phone.
As it doesn't physically unlock it,your warranty is also unaffected.
PP

manhatten
28-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi PLANTPOT I have just ordered one of those Sim card unlocker chip, Just a question did you have to pay extra to Customs,
Thank You

PLANTPOT
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi Manhatten,
sorry for late reply.
If you are in the UK I doubt if you will have any problems with customs,they are more particular over here and pretty much everything is screened.
I didn't have to pay any customs charges,just the £1-49 for the item,only ordered 1 as I only needed one and was a little dubious if they worked or not.
They work fine and so simple to install.
PP

manhatten
06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply,Reading on the net it seems you are only charged if it is above £15, Waiting for mine could be 30 days,

Thanks

sparky_dog
07-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Yes, item value under £15 and you are fine. Over £15, and you are charged VAT on the item value plus P&P, plus a handling charge... if it is picked up. Only a small number of items seem to get caught by Royal Mail, so it's a bit of a lottery for items over £15.

Stuff from the far east normally takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.

History Hunter
02-05-2014, 11:03 PM
buy them in the uk from rebelsimcard.... I had one for my nokia98gb and it worked fine.

They are based in Rochdale lancashire

holmroad
19-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know if they work with the Samsung Galaxy range too, pls?