PDA

View Full Version : Please help - internal flash drive full!

globalist
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi,

everything was working fine but now suddenly I'm not able to edit, delete or add timers. So it turns out my /dev/root mountpoint (internal flash drive) is 99% full:

root@dm500hd:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 60.0M 59.4M 640.0K 99% /
udev 2.0M 316.0K 1.7M 15% /dev
/dev/mtdblock2 3.8M 2.6M 1.2M 69% /boot
tmpfs 70.9M 36.0K 70.8M 0% /var
tmpfs 70.9M 164.0K 70.7M 0% /tmp
/dev/sda1 149.0G 12.3G 136.7G 8% /media/dmdisk

If I try to add, delete or edit a timer the box (or just Enigma2) reboots and my crashlog says:

IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device: '/etc/enigma2/timers.xml'

Can anyone please advise what I should delete from where in order to free up some space? And why did it suddenly fill up if I haven't installed anything lately?

Many thanks!

sonic1
06-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Stop any cams, picons or epg writing to flash.
Next get an external USB powered HDD and attach via esata and mount it as a USB.
Now add epg, picons and cam tmp files to your HDD, this will give you around 50% more flash space for a better performing box.

globalist
06-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I already have an external HDD attached. How exactly do I add epg, picons and cam tmp files to it?

Also, I've deinstalled about 20 unused skins and now my /dev/root is 79% full and I can finally work with timers again. Do I still need to worry about space with only 21% left?

oldfart
06-12-2011, 11:57 PM
mount as a hard disk - the menu will allow that.
and set up a swap file to hdd
picons take up 30Mb and epg is 10Mb

as far as I remember, just move the picon folder to the hdd - it is automatically loaded.

globalist
07-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I mean I already have the HDD mounted and I've set up a swap file on it as well. But how exactly do I transfer picons and epg to it?

oldfart
07-12-2011, 12:12 AM
.. but .. the hdd will spin every time you change channel as it loads a new picon

globalist
07-12-2011, 12:16 AM
So that's not really a good solution to free up space. I guess I'll have to live with the 21% free then?

jimrare
07-12-2011, 12:31 AM
21% is enough if you intend to use a small amount of skins and plugins, it is not enough though if you want to install plenty of skins and plugins. There is an option to choose where to save your epg file. From your first post i can see a hard disk mounted at /media/dmdisk so this is where your should point. Otherwise you can create a symbolic link, if the first option doesn't work then post back.

Also the swap file is irrelevant and has nothing to do with giving you extra space. There seem to be plenty of posts recommending setting up a swap and this is wrong. It is always a good idea knowing what you are doing, before actually doing it.

globalist
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
21% is enough if you intend to use a small amount of skins and plugins, it is not enough though if you want to install plenty of skins and plugins. There is an option to choose where to save your epg file. From your first post i can see a hard disk mounted at /media/dmdisk so this is where your should point. Otherwise you can create a symbolic link, if the first option doesn't work then post back.

Also the swap file is irrelevant and has nothing to do with giving you extra space. There seem to be plenty of posts recommending setting up a swap and this is wrong. It is always a good idea knowing what you are doing, before actually doing it.

OK, so if I ever run out of space again I can save another 10MB by setting up the epg file on my external HDD. Good!

About the swap file, I already figured out it is irrelevant for this space issue but thanks for reassuring me.

While I'm here I may as well ask another question: I have an original DM500HD and an experimental Enigma2 image on it, originating from 2010:

Enigma Version: 2010-07-21-experimental
Image Version: Experimental 2010-07-21

Can you recommend the best current image for my device? I mean everything is working fine more or less but I guess I just feel adventurous again, lol! Thanks!

oldfart
07-12-2011, 12:52 AM
have a look at OoZooN.de
I put a usb conversion on my 500HD - but it involves de-soldering & voids any warranty

globalist
07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
have a look at OoZooN.de
I put a usb conversion on my 500HD - but it involves de-soldering & voids any warranty

I'll look into that image, thanks. I don't need to do a usb conversion as I'm running my disk in a eSATa enclosure.

Detlef
07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Most DBs don't need the picons file - it is just a pretty, pretty.

Try saving it to your PC and then delete the one on your 500HD.

jimrare
07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
OK, so if I ever run out of space again I can save another 10MB by setting up the epg file on my external HDD. Good!You wont run out of space unless you download more plugins,skins, etc. The epg file more or less has the same size, unless more providers are included.

While I'm here I may as well ask another question: I have an original DM500HD and an experimental Enigma2 image on it, originating from 2010:

Enigma Version: 2010-07-21-experimental
Image Version: Experimental 2010-07-21

Can you recommend the best current image for my device? I mean everything is working fine more or less but I guess I just feel adventurous again, lol! Thanks!All images are based on the same drivers provided by dream multimedia and this is what really matters. More or less all images offer the same, and even if one image is lacking a feature, i can assure you 100% that it is always possible to make it run on ANY image. However you will need the knowledge and some effort. Check out this site
http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/1.6/dm500hd/images/ and look at the changelogs of major releases. For example here is the changelog of the latest 3.2.1 release
http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/1.6/dm500hd/images/release-dm500hd-3.2.1.nfo If you think there is something adventurous in the releases then try some other image.

globalist
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I mean "adventurous" as in I had the "green light of death" issue when I last attempted to flash my DM500HD back in 2010. :)

Edit: OK I see some useful fixes in the changelog here:

_http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/1.6/dm500hd/images/release-dm500hd-3.2.1.nfo

So if I flash this new image, will my settings (satellites, cccam, box settings) remain the same or will I have to restore them from backup?

jimrare
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
The time you will need to spend to restore from a backup is almost the same as installing it from scratch. Remeber that some plugins or skins might be incompatible with newer versions. I haven't changed my image long time now, mine is more than a year and a half old, and i cannot recall when i did a restart.

I just counted 7 releases in the first link i posted, so you will find even more usefull fixes. Some newer images don't offer downloading cams or plugins from the menu, you might have to follow some extra steps if you were used to installing stuff from your remote.

oldfart
07-12-2011, 07:52 PM
most likely, you will have to update the front stage boot loader before updating to the newest images.
dreamboxupdate.com
as Jimrare said -all images do the same job, its just how they get there.