PDA

View Full Version : new satnav help

simon 2003
24-01-2012, 11:34 PM
hi ive decided i need a satnav for work took a wrong turn the other day and ended up on the m6 toll cost me a fiver,lol so was wondering what the opinions are here,ive used a basic tom tom before and found it quite easy so im edging towards this,ive seen the tom tom XXL classic at halfords for 99 quid ,not to fussed about loads of maps UK would be fine just want reliable up to date maps, speed cameras ect any thoughts ?cheapest places to buy ect

Russell1
25-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Check out here

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/
Don't forget that the very latest units cannot used copied maps.

rickt
25-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I've seen lots of second hand ones for sale in various places , have you considered this as opposed to a new one .As said dont go for newer ones ,one which at least has an SD card slot , this is so you can load new maps etc on to it .Navigo's , Binatone's , F&H's are fine for this .

simon 2003
25-01-2012, 08:17 PM
sorry for my ignorance but whats the benefit of an sd reader ?i need to have a read up do they not have internal memory?as said just decent uk maps will be fine maybe stick a funny voice on to entertain the the lad

Russell1
25-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Some units have only got a small internal memory, so might not have enough space for updated or other maps. Will probably be ok if you only ever want the UK & RoI map though :)

echelon
26-01-2012, 12:16 AM
my lad uses a tom tom one , but I use the f+h and navigos and usually run tom tom , or igo or primo

Robbo
26-01-2012, 03:17 AM
This is better than the tom-tom imo as it has bluetooth handsfree built in (very handy) - it is currently priced at £99

Garmin Nuvi 1410 Sat Nav UK & ROI

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_1 0151_productId_788071_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Specs are -

Battery Life (hours): Up to 4 hours
Bluetooth Handsfree: Yes
Built in MP3 Player: No
Car Mount: Yes
Carry Case included: No
Expansion Capability: Micro SD card
Fuel Efficient Routing: Yes
Full Postcode Search: Yes
Home Charger: No
In-car Charger: Yes
iPod/Mp3 Connectivity: No
Lane Guidance: Yes
Live Services: No
Mapping: UK & ROI
Point Of Interest Installed: Yes
Remote Control Included: No
Safety Camera Location Data: Yes
Screen Size: 5" Extra Widescreen
Text To Speech: Yes
Traffic Re-routing: No
Voice Control: No

I currently use a garmin and the bluetooth handsfree is good as it avoids the need for extra handsfree kit :)

rickt
26-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I know someone who paid nearly £150 for a TomTom XL a few years ago and can do nothing with now .It only had 1GB internal memory and NO SD card slot, so he cannot load any Europe maps and TT wanted to charge an extra £55 for a new UK map .Waste of money .
My Navigo 3.5" was only £29.99 from WH Smith with an SD card slot and can acommodate any SD card ,any Satnav program [I'm running TT on it ] ,can play music ,show pictures ,read pdf's , has a great battery life and has NEVER let me down . Great buy .