PDA

View Full Version : vu+ Duo dead

teddy30
16-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi my vu+ is dead, I mean it will not do any thing. Its like there is no power there. Went to bed last night and all fine got up this morning and nothing, I've tryed different leads and nothing. Is there any thing i can do, or is it dead forever

sonic1
16-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Check the PSU

teddy30
16-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry to sound dumb but what's the psu

hda5
16-02-2012, 09:44 AM
PSU = Power Supply Unit.

Also check the fuse in the plug is OK.

teddy30
16-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I tryed at different power lead and nothing. Can you buy spares. if so do you know were

donki
16-02-2012, 12:52 PM
The place where you bought it from should be able to provide spares or tell you where to go for them and if it is still under warranty then they should be dealing with this for you.

Things you can try for now are:
Try your power lead in another appliance that uses that type of lead like an electric razor. If that works then you know the lead is OK as is the fuse in the plug. If not then try this but, ONLY IF OUT OF WARRANTY. Removed the power lead completely. Open the box and check the PSU which is the brown board at the back of the unit on the left, looking from the front. Stick your nose in and sniff around for any signs of a burned smell and look for signs of heat damage. If there is a fuse check that the silver line within it is unbroken. If broken you need a new fuse. If you have a multimeter you check continuity of the fuse.

Anything beyond this is going to require a technican.

Why not give Goldwafers a call first? I'm sure they will sort you out and save you a lot of hassle.

Otherwise spares can be obtain via the official VU+ website will also sell you a replacement. Google will find it for you. :)

BTW: If you do end up needing a new PSU then fitting it is not rocket Science and once you open the box you will see how easy it is to do. Once the new one is fitted ensure the fan kicks in to life because if it does not it will fail again and maybe what caused your problem in the first place.

Hope this has helped some.

Good luck. Been there myself. :)

teddy30
16-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Cheers I'm at work now but I will try as soon I get back

teddy30
16-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi i've been onto the place i got it from and he says there is a file that could sort the problem,!!!! Is he right or am i been pushed aside.

sonic1
16-02-2012, 09:25 PM
There is no file that can fix a power problem.
I assume you don't even have the red light at the front ?

teddy30
16-02-2012, 09:32 PM
no mate nothing at all. i got my vu+ in sep 2010 with a 24 month warrenty, so i think i'll have to send it back.

sonic1
16-02-2012, 09:34 PM
no mate nothing at all. i got my vu+ in sep 2010 with a 24 month warrenty, so i think i'll have to send it back.

If you have a 2 year warranty then send it back.

donki
17-02-2012, 10:55 AM
If you have a 2 year warranty then send it back.
Absolutely Right!

Some advice for the future would be to keep a cheapy STB as backup for such eventualities. As in my case, my 'Baby' (was getting on in years :) ) died and I am using an OpenBox to tide me over until I decide on my next 'baby'. That way you will not be without your favorite Telly proggies while you wait :) Just a tip.

^^COMPASS^^
17-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Absolutely Right!

Some advice for the future would be to keep a cheapy STB as backup for such eventualities. As in my case, my 'Baby' (was getting on in years :) ) died and I am using an OpenBox to tide me over until I decide on my next 'baby'. That way you will not be without your favorite Telly proggies while you wait :) Just a tip.

Got a call from my Brother in Law teddy30 as he didn't have a backup Receiver, asking whats the cheapest HD receiver to buy?

My reply was no need to buy one, i will loan you a Spiderbox 9900HD & i popped over yesterday morning and set it all up for him until his VU+ DUO has been repaired.

donki
17-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Got a call from my Brother in Law teddy30 as he didn't have a backup Receiver, asking whats the cheapest HD receiver to buy?

My reply was no need to buy one, i will loan you a Spiderbox 9900HD & i popped over yesterday morning and set it all up for him until his VU+ DUO has been repaired.

OUTSTANDING! It's so good to have friends! LOL

teddy30
17-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes its great to have my telly back, Just to up date, im waiting for a reply for were i got it from, to see were i'm going with it.

Thanks to compass for the loan, Cheers....