PDA

View Full Version : STC6000 HDPVR Stuttering Playback

wombatch
18-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I am not really sure what the position is on this as far as I can see the specifications for the box say that the the codec MPEG-4 part 10(H.264) is supported. I have some mkv files with this codec in them and although they play fine on my pc they develop a stutter as time progresses through the file when playing on the STC6000.
Whats the situation on this, do you think it should be supported, it seems to me it should work? Does anybody know if there is a method of feeding this stuff back to the providers of the box? Would anybody care or should I just try and convert the files to a format the STC6000 can cope with?

geoffh
19-02-2012, 08:01 PM
How are you accessing these files via your stb?there is a known problem if you doing it via the DNLA funcyion

wombatch
25-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Well they come over the lan from a NAS (soon to be the subject of another question) I think that bit is actually ok but thereafter I am really not sure how you figure out where it goes wrong. I have a samsung LExxA856 TV connected via the HDMI to the Icecrypt STC 6000.. (nothing too stunning there.. but just so you know). I suspect that the problem may actually be related to the definition of the picture being 1080p as opposed to 1080i. The reason I say this is that the recordings are 1080p and I know that if I set the icecrypt to 1080p mode then I get the same effect with television pictures. So it seems to me that probably either the STC 6000 cannot copy with 1080p or the TV can't or they were just not made to work together! Now the problem is how do I determine the real problem is it the STC 6000 or the TV, then whichever it is what do I do.. start looking for hacked/improved firmware for the one that gives the problem Isuppose.. Any ideas gratefully appreciated (my short term solution is recoding the videos on my PC to try to make 1080i).

wombatch
25-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Ah now, embarrassingly (I was sure I had already tried) I copied the file to the HDD on the STC6000 and it plays fine so I guess I need to beef up the network or find some other way of doing this I'll read the entry about DLNA maybe get some clues.

wombatch
25-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Even more embarrassingly and with a complete change of viewpoint (based on the posts in another forum entry here) I have found that this problem is a lot more subtle.. My STC6000 is connected via 100MB LAN to the NAS they are both connected to a Wireless router..
While I was looking at another forum entry here I found
I can play any sort of video on my (wireless connected pc) whether is is stored on the NAS or on the STC6000 given that fact I think the wired network between the NAS and the STC6000 should be easily fast enough for a video. So I am now back to being mystified again.
I already have the 2.10.11 firmware so it is not that. I just don't know now, clearly it is not a problem with any individual component because they all work if I use them together in a different way.
Any ideas would be great :)

geoffh
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Wombatch,
From what I understand its a work in progress issue with the Fw writers (a known issue) so its a case of a new Fw release. I get the same problem using the DNLA function plus a time out error. I dont use 1080p, I think the picture is better at 1080i. I bought a new router (because the old one died) and still no improvement (obviously) but I am getting a wifi speed of about 72 MB which should be fast enough

wombatch
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Well I have some good news (for me anyway) I bought a new gigabit switch (the nas, the stc6000 and the wireless hub/dhcp server all connect to this) my previous one was an old router that was only 100MB capable. Now I can play 1080p from the NAS without stutter. I am not convinced this was really a network speed issue since the stc6000 adapter is only 100MB but clearly there was something in the protocol with the old router that was causing the stuttering.
I didn't try any DLNA yet (i am not really a fan of upnp) but perhaps I will give it a try sometime.

ColdAsICE
09-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the information.
This will be so helpful to the next guy with the same issue.