PDA

View Full Version : twin lnb dish with dm8000

ramz
22-02-2012, 11:26 PM
hi, everyone,
I've got a dish with a twin lnb on my dish ( i only have one cable connected to the twin lnb) and i brought a dreambox dm8000, the dm8000 has twin turner ( I WANTED to watch and record different channels at the same time or watch different channels at same time via split screen) , could i keep that one cable and put a splitter on it and have it going into each turner on the dream box or would i have to run another cable to the second lnb connection on the dish. ( i don't know which way my dish is pointing but i can get astra 28.2E/astra 19.2E/eurobird 25.5E)

would it be worth putting a motor on my dish, i wanted to have a few more options ( it the same size a sky dish)

(sorry for bothering everyone with the novice questions but new to all this no doubt i'll properly stuck again and will need advice. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME )

echelon
23-02-2012, 12:10 AM
hi, everyone,
I've got a dish with a twin lnb on my dish ( i only have one cable connected to the twin lnb) and i brought a dreambox dm8000, the dm8000 has twin turner ( I WANTED to watch and record different channels at the same time or watch different channels at same time via split screen) , could i keep that one cable and put a splitter on it and have it going into each turner on the dream box or would i have to run another cable to the second lnb connection on the dish. ( i don't know which way my dish is pointing but i can get astra 28.2E/astra 19.2E/eurobird 25.5E)

would it be worth putting a motor on my dish, i wanted to have a few more options ( it the same size a sky dish)

(sorry for bothering everyone with the novice questions but new to all this no doubt i'll properly stuck again and will need advice. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME )

ok , this is what you need to do

1) establish where the dish is pointing by checking a channel or channels

lets say bbc1 and itv1 work , its pointing at 28e in that case

2) establish what this "twin lnb" actually is , ie:- is it a twin lnb which means both feeds give you 28e ? and only give you 28e

a typical sly dish may have a single or quad lnb, with the dish pointing at 28e ,so you either get 1 or 4 feeds from 28e, and only from 28e

3) now to do as you ask with a twin tuner box you need 2 feeds from that twin or quad lnb, thats 2 coaxial cables and no splitters

a typical sly plus box would have this using a "shotgun cable" ( twin coax cable ) using 2 feeds from a quad lnb

4) no you cannot easily motorise a sly dish, so if its a sly dish I wouldnt recommend it, just leave a sly dish sat on 28e like it should be

for a motorised dish , buy a suitable dish like say triax, of between 80cm and 110cm and fit a single or dual or quad lnb as required (usually single lnb )

lastly , you wont get 3 satellites from 1 dish UNLESS you have an lnb rack and have 3 different lnb,s on it
details and pictures of those setups are in the dish and lnb forums here

so I do not believe you when you state you get 28.2e , 25.5e and 19.2e at all, as its not possible without 3 lnb,s and a rack

you are probably getting just 28.2e and 28.5e , OR you dont have a twin lnb but actually have a monoblock lnb, and even then its only 6 degrees separation not 9 degrees

ramz
23-02-2012, 12:24 AM
ok , this is what you need to do

1) establish where the dish is pointing by checking a channel or channels

lets say bbc1 and itv1 work , its pointing at 28e in that case

2) establish what this "twin lnb" actually is , ie:- is it a twin lnb which means both feeds give you 28e ? and only give you 28e

a typical sly dish may have a single or quad lnb, with the dish pointing at 28e ,so you either get 1 or 4 feeds from 28e, and only from 28e

3) now to do as you ask with a twin tuner box you need 2 feeds from that twin or quad lnb, thats 2 coaxial cables and no splitters

a typical sly plus box would have this using a "shotgun cable" ( twin coax cable ) using 2 feeds from a quad lnb

4) no you cannot easily motorise a sly dish, so if its a sly dish I wouldnt recommend it, just leave a sly dish sat on 28e like it should be

for a motorised dish , buy a suitable dish like say triax, of between 80cm and 110cm and fit a single or dual or quad lnb as required (usually single lnb )

lastly , you wont get 3 satellites from 1 dish UNLESS you have an lnb rack and have 3 different lnb,s on it
details and pictures of those setups are in the dish and lnb forums here

so I do not believe you when you state you get 28.2e , 25.5e and 19.2e at all, as its not possible without 3 lnb,s and a rack

you are probably getting just 28.2e and 28.5e , OR you dont have a twin lnb but actually have a monoblock lnb, and even then its only 6 degrees separation not 9 degrees

thanks for your advice,

the dish i have is not a sly dish, but it's about the same size as sly dish , i think it may be a bit bigger,
and i don;t get all 3 satellites at the same time what meant was that i get these satellites one at a time

brain
23-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Hi ramz
Ech is right about the sly dish - it is too small to worry about. It is possible to set up several lnbs [around 4] and with a suitable disequ switch - not cheap - switch between them BUT you will need a cable for each and the tuners to match. as the 8000 stands - if it has two tuners you can manage with one cable but when recording only other channels on the same V or H will be watchable. Sat viewing is not all progress - to obtain the variety then the house does have to be invaded with cables and the STB with tuners!! Setting up a motorised dish will not solve this but it will give you vast variety of channels etc. LOL - Cheers - Brain

echelon
23-02-2012, 12:39 AM
thanks for your advice,

the dish i have is not a sly dish, but it's about the same size as sly dish , i think it may be a bit bigger,
and i don;t get all 3 satellites at the same time what meant was that i get these satellites one at a time

well a zone 1 sly dish is 39cm , so not big enough

a zone 2 sly dish is 59cm and not easy to motorise as it doesnt have suitable bracketry, and its not really big enough either

so ideally you buy a suitable dish that allows a motor to be fitted easily, like triax or similar , and buy a darkmotor or tm2600 motor for it

any sly type dish should be pointed at 28.2e and left there (fixed) with a quad lnb on it