PDA

View Full Version : Network Automouter?

wombatch
25-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi, I wonder if anybody has experimented with some way of creating a network share automounter for the linux inside the STC6000 (or similar).
Let me explain, I have an Icecrypt STC6000, connected to a NAS where it can put and get movies and other stuff if required. At the moment the disk is mounted using a traditional SMB/CIFS/Windows Share (pick the term that means the most to you). The problem I have is that I would also like my NAS Disks to spin down when they are no longer accessed, for this they need to be totally quiet.
Here starts the problem, the STC 6000 polls the mount point every so often to make sure it is still alive (I didn't check to much on this bit yet). So in order to make the STC 6000 quiet and get the NAS disks to spin down I have to either unplug it or turn it off on the little switch at the back.
Now in the past there used to be ways of implementing an "automounter" such that linux only mounted the shared disks when it actually needed to use them, I want to find a way to do this with the STC 6000 or, find a different access mechanism that will go quite and allow my disks to sleep.
Anybody any ideas?