PDA

View Full Version : 9000HD USB failing after 6 months - any ideas?

slapper4
18-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi,
my spiderbox 9000HD is refusing to record or bring up the recorded files list, this is a new problem.

(The HDD is fine, ive plugged in to my pc to test and even played files using trp player perfectly)
up till now ive been recording a few times a day, for 6 months, using samsung S2 500gb personal drive (usb powered only)

now the 9000HD wont read data off the hdd OR my USB stick that it had been fine with

when i go to the USB menu, i get blamk black list, and one option RED = config
that pops up AUtodetct, USB1,USB2 options
if i select Auto, it cant find it,
if i select either the other 2 options, theres a little whizz noise from the HDD and then back to blank

(it wont detect anything so cant format etc etc)

if its both USB ports failed, then i dont think the menu could make the HDD respond as it does

any ideas please ??

slapper4
18-03-2012, 11:06 PM
solved this, power off on the rear switch wait 2 minutes, power on, all fine now

guess it got its knickers in a twist again, just remembered it solved the prob i had months ago when half my channels went scrambled.

standyby/on using remote control/front button several times in the previous hour did no good.

i will leave this up here as may be of use to others having same prob in future

echelon
18-03-2012, 11:53 PM
mine are always switched off on a mains timer every night , that way they get a clean boot daily AND save power overnight when not in use

Wossname
19-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I power mine down every night too using the rocker switch on the back.
Even so I've found the same problem with USB option in the menu simply not seeing either USB 1 (HDD - USB Powered) or USB 2 (stick) during normal use. Just blank where the file list should be.
Last time I just rebooted from menu and the problem cleared.

slapper4
19-03-2012, 11:34 AM
one of the main reasons i bought this stb was its 2w standby not 25w like the tm6900 i had(that was same power on or standby!!)

to save 9000hd power, i set a timer to go standby after bedtime(and also i program another timer to tune to a non-adult channel to save embarrasment), then it only uses 2watts ~(£1 per year on standby) just in case i forget to standby it at night.
This is a better idea because you will wear out that switch (threw out my brothers TV years ago same cause and part NLA) apart from the bother, and electronics dont like thermal shock, like light bulbs they shorten life. Thermal shock would be less from standby and ive only had a cold boot twice in 6 months(several hundred warm boots)
also, if you power off, your terrestial signal wont get passed thru, you would have to use an antenna y-joint like me, although someone said if you disable power saving mode it makes it possible to do that even in standby. I havent tried that as my y-joint is fitted now

Wossname
19-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Thats interesting stuff but I switch mine off because I found it uncomfortably warm even after a full night on stand by and after an hour or two zapping about before bedtime its so hot that I lie awake in bed imagining it bursting into flame :)

johnhenry
19-03-2012, 05:14 PM
As echelon has stated many times in the past and i have also followed the advise if switched off saves wasting energy plus a clean start which will iron out any cliches the receiver has picked up and Wossname is correct it also cools down receiver.

williamtell
19-03-2012, 08:57 PM
mine are always switched off on a mains timer every night , that way they get a clean boot daily AND save power overnight when not in use

and you also dont crash servers with multipal ecm,s:respect-048: