PDA

View Full Version : 5402 motor

acercam
08-04-2012, 06:51 AM
I've just bought a 5402 hd box and was wondering if i was to set it up with a tm2600 motor, would i have to patch the box 1st or could i do it later ? The question being would the stored satellite positions be effected ? Any help would be much appreciated.
regards acercam.

echelon
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I've just bought a 5402 hd box and was wondering if i was to set it up with a tm2600 motor, would i have to patch the box 1st or could i do it later ? The question being would the stored satellite positions be effected ? Any help would be much appreciated.
regards acercam.

a new motor does not have any stored positions apart from maybe factory defaults

if using diseqc v1.2 you must find and store the satellites yourself

if using usals you just input your lat and long into your receiver and the motor goes to the correct position

having tested the tm motor and a dark motor, I would go for the dark motor myself and I did indeed do so and for £45 for the superior version it does exactly what I want and has metal gears too. the only caveat is that the F sockets on it are hard to get to when attaching the cables if it is in situ

as for patching the box , its not necessary as a box has standard firmware that contains usals and diseqc anyway, same as the patch does

when you patch a box , you will lose your usals settings and so must check or add them again after patching, but diseqc positions are stored in the motor once you have found and stored them

hope that helps

simon 2003
08-04-2012, 09:13 AM
think alot of these motors with metal gears are very similar i went with the TM2600 and it hasnt missed a beat since i bought it probably over 12months ago so of course id recommend that but its all down to personel preference really get you kit all in place then patch then set up

echelon
08-04-2012, 09:24 AM
think alot of these motors with metal gears are very similar i went with the TM2600 and it hasnt missed a beat since i bought it probably over 12months ago so of course id recommend that but its all down to personel preference really get you kit all in place then patch then set up

I would agree that in this case of using the tm5402 its probably ok to buy the tm motor

but if you connect a spiderbox to it and use it with usals its a well known fact that it stops and starts (it stutters) and is slower than the dark motor
the dark motor does not stutter when moving between satellites like the tm does if using usals to control it

if you are using diseqc v1.2 this stuttering does not happen from spiderboxes , only with usals
I did not mention this due to the fact the OP talked about using a tm5402 with the tm motor and that may work perfectly well as a combination

my old motor was a motek and I got this stuttering using usals on my spiderboxes, which has disappeared ever since I changed from it to the dark motor superior

so its horses for courses and you never can tell if at some point what will happen if you change boxes like I did, but having fitted a stab, a motek , a tm2600 and a dark motor I know which I prefer (no they werent all mine , LOL)

simon 2003
08-04-2012, 09:41 AM
i wasnt aware of that thanks ech,

acercam
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the response guys explained nicely what i needed to know
regards acercam