PDA

View Full Version : Load fault

todray1
14-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Hope some one can help me Whilst watching the semi final my screen froze. I tried to reset but my unit would not work with the remote control and would not go into standby or switch off at the front. I then turned off the power using the wall socket switch, Left this for 10 minutes then switched back on the power, it loaded up the version and went into run followed by ck hdd.then it just locks up. Will anyone point me in the right direction. My unit is a Icecrypt stc6000 HD PVR.:banghead::banghead:

Thanks for all help received
Todray1

geoffh
15-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi, need more info, like what Fw and boot loader are you using and what plugins have you installed

todray1
16-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi, need more info, like what Fw and boot loader are you using and what plugins have you installed

Hi Geoffh
Loader: v6.00 H/W 2.09.87. macs, spcs, nascam, coconut, WebZeal V1.90s, Mclient.

I opened up the box disconnected the cables to the hard disc (Sata WD 1.0TB 2.5 HDD) put it all back together the box now runs but does not show the hard disc. I think it points to a dead HDD.

Welcome all coments.

Regards Todray1

geoffh
16-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Hmm!
I think I would have done the following first before messing with the HDD.
1) touch the box and listen, you should be able to feel and hear the HDD running, if ok I would then;
2) do a factory reset
3) Clear all the plugins from the Var folder either using filzilla via a PC or load a well known plugin like Mcas but select a format file option first before loading the plugin (this clears the plugins and gets rid of any latent memory.
4) nascam and spcs are the same so if you have both loaded there could be a conflict.
5) When using nascam or spcs make sure Mcas is off, this too can cause a conflict and freeze the box.
6) loading the plugins direct from the German website can also cause problems with the box (don't know why).
7) The box will only have limited function with the HDD removed you could try using a usb memory stick and selecting that option in the storage menue to see if you can get back to full functionality.
8) If all above fail it could be a case of having to run some sort of recovery software but this is something I have never done so can't advise.
If its not the HDD a good clean up of the system as described above should do the trick.

todray1
17-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks once again geoffh. I have to think about this as I am that ofey with using a PC or how to get the Mcas plugin. But as I will not be able to work on
it until the week-end. This will give me time to build up my courage and do some investigation. I emailed Western Digital about the hard disc and they state that it is not suitable for STB, which I find hard to believe for 1.0TB HDD also because of this it does not come under 3 year warranty.

Thanks again and I will let you know what if any progress I make.

Todray1 (Ray)

ColdAsICE
17-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Geoff,
Just posted the latest pre-release firmware for the STC6000 with the auto 7day EPG.
Let me know what you think!

buck401
17-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Any sign of this upgrade for the s4000 and s3500?

geoffh
17-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi ColdAsIce,
Hoping to try the Fw this week sometime so will advise. Just got back from Hols so lots to do, allotments, dogs, grandchildren, decorating + some DIY. Whatever happened to my retirement

geoffh
17-04-2012, 10:15 PM
This is the procedure for doing a flash clean to get rid of any latent memory problems from previous Fw. I have never used it myself simply because there has been no need but it may help you. You will find the software in the tools and editors section

The cleaner you requested for the STC6000.
You will require the PC serial software called "Porter express" found in the tools and editors section to load it.
A Null modem lead and a PC with a serial RS232C port are also required.
Back up your setting and timers using the "save system data" option.
Power off the Icecrypt using the rear power switch.
Connect the Null modem lead and start Porter Express on the PC.
Select the correct port on the PC (normally 1) the lead is connected to and load the the flash firmware into porter, select download.
Now power up the Icecrypt if all is well you should see the transfer between PC and Icecrypt, indicated by "download" on the Icecrypt front display with a percentage next to it.
It takes ages(>10 minutes) to transfer so please be patient and wait till it flashes completed on the front display.
The reciever will require a reboot, so switch the rear power switch off and on again.
Now carry out a factory reset and then upgrade it to the latest firmware in the normal USB memory stick method.
Finally restore your previous settings and timers.
Hopefully the flash will have cleared any latent firmware memory errors.

todray1
18-04-2012, 03:10 PM
[[/B][/B]geoffh,
Thanks for your time and trouble. I will try the latest procedure you recommended some time; later this week and let you know how I get on. A question for this idiot (Thats me) I take it that the Null modem lead is a blank lead ?
:respect-055:
Thanks again. Todray1 (RAY)

ColdAsICE
19-04-2012, 10:38 AM
(today1A) Null modem lead is a RS232 serial lead with the transmit and receive reversed within it. Its a fairly standard lead used for serial recovery. It can be bought in ******'s or on the *******.

(buck401) The 7day EPG firmware at present is still in testing. I hope to have it for all models but don't ask when as I don't know.

rake
19-04-2012, 10:43 PM
At least we now know its coming. I have not yet been able to load a full epg without the box crashing and losing all data despite exporting to USB drive.

Seriously vexing problem.

buck401
20-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I see there is a pre-release for the stc6000. I would be very happy to test a pre-release for the s3500 (yes, I know it`s cheeky to ask!)

ColdAsICE
23-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I see there is a pre-release for the stc6000. I would be very happy to test a pre-release for the s3500 (yes, I know it`s cheeky to ask!)

You won't know unless you ask and on this occasion if you ask you might get.
This is the pre-release firmware for the S3500.
It downloads the EPG but not automatically like the STC6000 as that uses the second tuner to do so in the background.
The receiver has to be placed into standby to fully populate the 7 day Astra 2 EPG.
Let me know what you think.

todray1
26-04-2012, 02:06 PM
:respect-061:I would like to thank all that came to my help with my fault. I suspected that the HDD had died. I contacted TURBOSAT about this and they suggested that I send my unit back to them. They found THAT THE HDD had died & gone to heaven, they replaced the HDD and sent it back with all current updates installed for which I am very grateful. All done within 4 days now that is what I call a service. :respect-040: So a big thank you to TURBOSAT and a big thank to all on the forum for your help and advice. Todray1:respect-001::respect-055:

todray1
29-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi ali, now that my ICECRYPT is back and in great working order AGAIN . I think this thread is ready to be closed. Thanks to all who contributed with their help. Todray1