PDA

View Full Version : Openbox s9 HD

cromwell
15-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I just got one £50, yes £50, what a box m8s, if you need a 2nd box get one, the HD is fantastic, and set it up in five mins, I am only using this on a sly dish, look at the fight last night not one blip ? :respect-055:

cromwell
15-07-2012, 11:03 AM
OPENBOX S11 HD PVR receiver General Specifications:

1) 300 MHz MIPS Processor - Linux Operating System
2) Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1;
3) Fully compliant MPEG-2 MP@HL & MP@ML;
4) Fully compliant MPEG-1 Layer I & II & III, Dolby Digital Audio(AC3);
5) S*** & M*** receivable from C/Ku band satellites;
6) multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2/1.3(USALS) supported)
7) NIT search supported;
8) Support MHEG-5;
9) Support HDMI 1.3;
10) Support PVR(store in USB disk);
11) Multimedia files playback(by USB);
12) Support Electronic Program Guide(EPG) for 7 days;
13) Teletext and subtitle out through OSD;
14) Support multi-lingual DVB subtitle and teletext;
15) Automatic and manual channel scan options;
16) automatic service scan
17) channel-change time < 1 second
18) OSD in many languages and skin-support
19) Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland, Holland, Turkish, Czech, selectable;
20) LED Display
21) Multiple display mode: 1080i/720p/570p/576i/480p;
22) MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
23) Videotext Decoder
24) Analog audio output: stereo(L+R);
25) SCART AND AV OUT PUT
26) Screen format:auto, 4:3, and 16:9;
27) Upgrade software through USB2.0 port;
28) Powerful program management function, parent lock;
29) CA 1x slot
30) 10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface
31) directly bouquet-lists

DVB-S2
Input Frequency:950~2150MHz
Loop Out Frequency:950~2150MHz
Input Level:-65~-25dBm
Input Impedance:75¦¸
LNB Power: Auto/14v/18v/OFF, Imax = 500mA

Video Decoder
Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible, H.246
Video Formats 4:3 / 16:9
Letterbox for 4:3 TV-Device

Audio Decoder
Audio Compression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3
Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo
Frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz

Video Parameter
Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB on 75 Ohm
Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard

TV-Scart
Output: SCART, AV OUTPUT 3.5MM TO RCA

Serial Interface RS 232
Type RS232 bidirectional
Bit rate 115,2 kBit/s max.
Plug Connector SUB-D-9
Function: Update of Firmware

Ethernet
10/100 MBit compatible interface

USB
1 x USB 2.0 Host , for upgrading of firmware and for recording using the PVR function

LNB power and polarisation per tuner
LNB Current 500mA max.; short-circuit-protected
LNB Voltage vertical < 14V no load, > 11,5V at 400mA
LNB Voltage horizontal < 20V no load, > 17,3V at 400mA

Count of active satellite position
DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2 SAT POSITION / SAT OPTION
DiSEqC - Rotor Control

Physical specification
Ambient Temperature +15 °C...+35 °C
Humidity < 80%
Size (W x D x H): 300 mm x 220 mm x 56 mm
Weight: 1,8 kg without HDD

Power
AC input range:100-240VAC 50/60Hz with Three pin UK plug
Power Consumption (Standby): Max. 10W (<1 W)

cromwell
15-07-2012, 11:05 AM
The openbox will hold 9 cccam lines and unlimited newcamd lines !!

hechicero
15-07-2012, 11:29 AM
yes very good for the money, i think the openbox F3 is even better. better tuner and channel editing.

echelon
15-07-2012, 11:44 AM
I heard the newer ones werent as good , like the s10 , s11 and s12 , and that there are many clones about

most people mention the original S9 is a good box however

cromwell
15-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I heard the newer ones werent as good , like the s10 , s11 and s12 , and that there are many clones about

You have to have a good look at one m8, its brill for £50, I got it for the back room, but now swapped my spider with it.

clacky
16-07-2012, 12:43 AM
They are good for the money. I was really pleased with mine and used it for about a year. But one down side is no hd recording and the other was not knowing whats on when looking at the channel list.
cheers

manic01
16-07-2012, 08:03 AM
You can use usb hdd for rec ok.

Dark Cloud
16-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I have two 32Gb usb's for my S11. While one is in the box, "SHE" is watching the other in laptop !.

cromwell
16-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Difference between Openbox S9, S10, S11, S12?

The Differences are minimal,

openbox s9 +hdmi +scart +cam
openbox s10 +hdmi
openbox s11 +hdmi +scart
openbox s12 +hdmi

donki
16-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Sorry in advance dear fellow forumites but I am going to rock the boat a bit.

I bought an S10 when my DM800HD finally died. First thing I did was ensure it was not a clone (who on earth would clone such a cheap box?). I used it for about 3 weeks before buying a real STB from the board sponsor (UNO). Now it sits in my cupboard gathering dust as a backup.

The HD on it is fair at best. Very grainy. Channel editing is a nightmare. Channel display is limited to 8 characters (which f*cking genius thought that might be a good idea?). This means that is is impossible to tell the difference between many channels with similar names. A pain in the ass especially when trying to differentiate between the SD & HD versions of the same channel. You are also limited to how many channels can be stored which is OK if you just want to use a single satellite. For most enthusiasts that is just not going to work. A work around is to scan each satellite you desire and delete the dross before scanning the next. This works as long as you are extremely stingy and not expecting to include all the usual suspects in your listings.

Sealion status is limited to on or off. You cannot see any card, share or server details.

Even though you can time shift, record and playback recordings, other media playback does not work as advertised at all. Timer record via EPG does not work at all. Recordings done using one image will not play on another image.

You cannot play media over the network either nor use a NAS to record to.

I did not find a USB stick that would work with mine and as I am not Rocker fella could not pursue buying various different ones until I got one to work. Worked OK with a 1TB hdd attached via a USB dock.

It is very prone to overheat.

At £50-60, it's cheap but for those of us used to using premier STB's it will just never be anywhere near good enough which is probably one of the reasons Goldwafers don't sell it.

On the plus side, (yes there is one LOL) yes it is cheap and so ideal as a second box or backup. It's easy to set up and easy to use.

I am sure there is loads that I have thankfully forgotten.

PS: 7 sea lions are max on it BTW :)

cromwell
16-07-2012, 12:48 PM
The HD on it is fair at best. Very grainy

must be your setup m8, I have a Samsung plasma, carnt see no difference, between it and my spiderbox, all my m8s that have seen it went out and ordered one ?

Now it sits in my cupboard gathering dust

If you dont want it m8, A poor pensioner, me, will have it off you ? lol,

donki
16-07-2012, 03:27 PM
must be your setup m8, I have a Samsung plasma, carnt see no difference, between it and my spiderbox, all my m8s that have seen it went out and ordered one ?

I have a Sammy 7 Series LED. Perhaps its not as forgiving as your plasma? :)

My set up? Having had a DM800HD before the difference in HD rendering stood out a mile even to a blind man like me. That is actually one of the main reasons I bought a more upmarket STB. I could have lived with the awful interface and lack of timer record until I got close to slashing my wrists. :001_005:

Am almost a pensioner myself. My, how time flies when one watches too much Sat TV. I really would help you out but as already mentioned in my previous post I intend to keep it as a backup in case my current UeberSTB decides to take a dive. A week without nearly killed me last year. :o16:

cromwell
16-07-2012, 05:48 PM

I was only joking m8 ? lol

clacky
16-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I have edited my post above to Hd recording as I could never get the box to record in Hd mode a message would come up saying the drive was to slow.
It recorded okay in sd mode and the timer worked for recording. The other thing in its favor for me was the picture quality being good in sd mode.
cheers

kadnor
03-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Echelon,
Would solicit your personal experience about making the S 9 a much performing box than when recieved from supplier.
Have learnt the LINUX system is embedded and cannot do all the things than we can do on a Dm 800 HD linux.
Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
RGDS

echelon
03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Echelon,
Would solicit your personal experience about making the S 9 a much performing box than when recieved from supplier.
Have learnt the LINUX system is embedded and cannot do all the things than we can do on a Dm 800 HD linux.
Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
RGDS

never had one, never owned one , never seen one ,never used one , so no idea m8

they are not linux boxes , they are bespoke boxes like the tm5402 or spider 9900 or eagle 800 or blade 7000 or tm1500 , meaning they use custom built firmware and patches

the dreamboxes , vu and clarketech boxes are linus boxes afaik

I do not elaborate on anything I know nothing about, I replied with what I had read about them on various forums, and am not the person to ask anything about the openbox at all

cromwell was the opening poster and new owner , not me

illuminati
03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
had one of these boxes ,also an eaglebox hd mini,,,,,not worth a sh*t..........
double your money and go for a dm800 clone,,,,,,,theres a differance of day and night setup is a breeze,,,,and as for channel editing,it blows the openbox out of the water.....if you have a motor installed the spiderbox with g**t is a good option.
ps.... if your finances are good at the moment purchase a vu+duo,,,,,,,,you wont be dissapointed.

cromwell
03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Got a second openbox, love them, got rid of my spider.

manic01
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Openbox is great,but can't compare to Spiderbox quality.

cromwell
03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Spiderbox quality ?????? two of my m8 have got rid of there spiders for the openbox m8, so its not just me ???

donki
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I recently bought a new Skybox F3 (basically an Openbox with a few minor differences) for a friend and set it up for him. Have to say nothing much has changed from when I was the proud owner of an S10 (now replaced by an AZBox Me, (will I ever learn!!)). :)

It does the job, it's simple, my mate is happy but it still don't timer record nor timeshift reliably BUT the channel listings are improved and you can actually see the differences between channel names of similar name now. So who knows by the time they release the F10 I might be back in the market for one coz they are cheap AND yes they do, do the job adequately for most needs.

Just us tinkerers who might find them a tad boring :)

Did someone mention spiderboxes...................... .......best not get me started there. :dupe::willy_nilly:

barrysat
03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
hi cromell

i have a openbox hd9pvr, good box pictures beautful £37 on **** and genune chip you can change software to skybox change back to openbox

slimjim206
08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
i had a spider box was good but then no good after gift went i all so have a openbox s10 had it over a year and their is a lot of dust on it now as i dont know how to set it up could not find much help with how to set up and get it working all most sent me mad so put it out of sight would be nice if their was a zip file that 1 could put on 2 a usb stick that set it up would be nice to see it work but i dont think my life will last that long have a good day all

sunderland1955
22-03-2013, 02:23 PM
i got openbox 18 months ago just 1 prob the re loop side has gone down but still a cracking little box
dave

cromwell
22-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I have two m8, love them and all my m8s who have seen it have one now.