PDA

View Full Version : Problems with bh 1.7.5 crashing

casper2
17-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Am i doing something wrong or is there something that i am missing?
I have now loaded BH 1.7.5 twice on my Ultimo. Everything goes well no problems with install. Then install cams my motorised sat settings and Catseye 13 July motorised settings. So far all is normal. Select any SD channel it displays perfectly. Seect some HD channels they display perfectly. There are however quite a few HD channels, for example BBC ONE HD which when selected immediately crash the box.
This occured after the first build so i thought i had done something wrong. The last build was completely clean even re initialised the hard drive and did the minimum to get up and running but still behaves the same way.

Have others found this problem? Is there something i am doing or not doing? Am i miss-understanding something about this new version?

I did the upgrade to get everything ready for the Olympics but at this rate its going to be 2016 Olympics.

At the moment i'm about to go back to an earlier version which was working perfectly with all channels unles some of you experts have knowledge of what is happening and can suggest a fix, either to the box or my head.

Many thanks in advance.

CokeAddict
17-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I have only heard of 1 other person having a problem with there box crashing, and it was with catseye settings and also with black hole, I think it was something to do with the way the channel names are locked iirc.

Anyway try upgrading to blackhole 1.7.6 and see if that works any better for you.

sonic1
17-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Carry out a manual rescan and it will fix the problem, I have had the same problem and I know catseye has worked hard to find the fault but every so often it pops up again.

charlie
17-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I had same problem, did the same as Sonic1 it solved the problem by a rescan.

casper2
18-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Many thanks for all your replies. I didn't realise that BH v1.7.6 was available. I installed it and all is now going well.
There are still various things which crash the box. Some of the downloadable addons and plugins are not compatible and cause the box to crash. It's impossible to identify the good from the bad before install and you usually end up having to do a re-install. I have created a full backup of my working system build so that when i install something that causes the box to crash on boot up then i can get back to normal in one step.
Is anyone aware of a list of tested addons and plugins for BH 1.7.x to try and remove some of the soc it and see approach.

I'm trying to find plugins witch will control streaming of music or video from a NAS but so far my efforts usually end up in a crashed box and a re-install.
Has anyone managed to do this?

VU+ ULTIMO, 1.2M 36v Motorised Visiosat, VBox III, Invacom C120 Quad LNB, Visiosat Feedhorn
Blackhole v1.7.1

sonic1
18-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Can you tell me which plugins cause a crash and provide crash logs ?

I have no problems with media player with movies and music on my NAS

casper2
18-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Hi sonic1. Itried this before my last rebuild and unfortunately did a harddrive initialise as a precaution. If memory serves right i had installed a number of plugings, two of which were Media Player Delux and Mediaplayer Extended, there were a few others done at the same time so any one could have been the cause. After downloading and installing this batch of plugins my box did a hard reset and from that point on it crashed every time before a channel was displayed and i could not get into the menu to do any uninstalls. I had to do a clean rebuild of 1.7.6 to get back and working. When i get time i will add the plugins one at a time until i find which one caused me the problem.

I'm now keeping a full backup to make life easier after an un-recoverable state so will get back to you when i have more info.

Just out of curosity, what plugins or configuration do you use for NAS streaming? If it works for you it should work for me.
My NAS will stream quite happily to my HTPC but would like the Ultimo to run as a mediacenter. Did you have any additional setup to do on the NAS to work with the Ultimo?
I'll say thanks in advance to everyone.

VU+ ULTIMO, 1.2M 36v Motorised Visiosat, VBox III, Invacom C120 Quad LNB, Visiosat Feedhorn
Blackhole v1.7.6 also HTPC with Skystar HD2.

DCG
18-07-2012, 11:44 PM
can you not try installing in chaos and if yer box crashes atleast you can sort it out with out reinstalling

casper2
27-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi have been away for a short break so a slightly delayed answer. Many thanks DCG that is good suggestion. I have forgotten that 1.7.6 is multi so i should set it up and use it as it was meant to be used.

i know i read somewhere that the setup process involves partitioning the USB memory stick. Could anyone point me to a sticky or info on exactly how to do the multi install. I assume that it can't be added from an already existing install, if it can please let me know.

DCG
27-07-2012, 10:22 AM
press blue button then blue button again then select usb format wizard
once done set the usb to universe and thats it
then once done press red button to jump universe and away you go

casper2
28-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks DCG thats excellent. Simple and straight forward when you know how. Your help is much appreciated.

Now for the crossepg auto update problem i have raised in another thread.

casper2
28-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi DCG i'm still in trouble. I had done the partitioning when i made the last post but ran into a problem later.

I created 3 partitions on a !6GB USB stick without problem. I thought everything was simple from there on in. However at the end of partition formatting it requests "box will be restarted to generate new device UID" on restart the box simply hangs with the VU+ symbol on the box display screen. No further change occurs even after long wait.

If i reboot the box without the USB stick inserted then re-insert it and look in devices management then the 3 USB partitions plus the HDD are visible. I have tried going into Devices manager and going through the mountpoints. The partitions are visble and universe, usb, cf etc can be chosen for each of them. I have tried various of these ie setting all to universe or one to each universe, usb, cf & hdd. (Canthey all be selected as universe or should they all be different?) When completed the box again requests a restart and again locks up exactly as before.
As far as i can see i have followed the instructions but must be missing something. Any ideas? Is 1.7.6 in any way different in this area to 1.7.5 as i am using 1.7.6?

I would really like to use this feature so that plugins, extensions and other settings can be tested before transfer to the master boot copy.

casper2
28-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Just a short addition to my last. I have been looking around some other VU forums and this question about re-boot lockup is being asked by others, but as yet none of the questions i've seen have had an answer or fix suggested.

DCG
28-07-2012, 11:34 PM
i set my hdd to media and my usb to universe no partiotion
i no its a lot of messing but you could try re flashing with the l8tst image
then sort out the hdd and format the usb and install univers on that only
in black hole universe just put the settinge you need
then in each of the 1 st of the 3 others add yer extra sats
hope that helps