PDA

View Full Version : protek or spider

blinkerd
17-07-2012, 09:27 PM
hi i have a tm5402hd i wish to upgrade or have as a second box a hd reciver with cccam thats easy to use i am not very tech minded. i have a 1.1meter dish. i am looking at protek 9760 mk-1 or spiderbox 99000 hd. any advice will be helpfull.

joshjess
17-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Steer clear of the MK-1 as its no longer made, the 9760 is more stable and has some very good packages, so this would be my choice

BOOGIBEAR
17-07-2012, 10:27 PM
lovered my spider 9000hd,,easy menu well suported with gift on and softcam,, gift lasts around 12mths,,running proteck 9760 at moment uploads itself from it's own site,,

tr8.
17-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a spiderbox 9000, its a good box with easy Cccam to recieve
You do not say what you plan to do with the Cccam.
If its not to recieve only you may be looking at the wrong box, the spiderbox can only recieve Cccam, newcamd is used as server
If its to recieve only the spiderbox will come also with a good 12mth package.
cannot comment on Protect but understand very much the same, then given the great support for the spider here would say that wins.
There are other HD box's but hard to beat the value and quality of the 9000hd

^^COMPASS^^
17-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Thought the question was

Looking for a second box a hd reciver with cccam thats easy to use

Answer...

AFAIK CCcam wasn't implemented in Protek 9710 & 9760 Receivers, [feel free to correct me if I'm wrong]

Spiderbox 7000HD, 9000HD & 9900HD Can Run CCcam as client only allowing 10 lines to be entered Either by Remote control entry or by Usb adding a Server.CFG file
[Newcamd can be used as server]

So if it is a choice between only these 2 Brands and CCcam is important in your choice, the decision is straight forward Decide which Spiderbox Model suits your needs best.

williamtell
17-07-2012, 11:14 PM
no cccam on a friends protek, update is simple tho with remote.

echelon
17-07-2012, 11:23 PM
so are we saying a protek cannot use a C line due to having no embedded cccam in its patches ?

what about newcamd ? does it have that ?

or does it have neither option ? or any other emu option at all ?

we may as well clarify this aspect in relation to a protek

^^COMPASS^^
18-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Protek 9710 & 9760 Receivers

1. CCcam No
2. Newcamd Yes
3. EMU No

Aldo
18-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Just found this info on the Protek forum:

This was a reply from an Admin on the Protek foum, ref Protek Mk 1, in a similar post to the OP's

depends on what you want from it.

as a linux box it offers only basics.
public cs is sometimes prone to freezes, a bit shaky, mostly ok but definitely worse than any 97xx.
3rd party cccam and newcamd is second to none.
pvr functions are basic at best.
rcu interface is lousy - it has a tendency to repeat the previous command - simply drives you up the tree.
card reader under oscam is standard.

A question......

The Newcamd works only with FW: 3.00.10 in the 9700 HD ???
With the latest versions 3.00.19 as well ???

reply from an Admin:

all versions since it was first installed.

xanadu
18-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Protek MK-1 runs OSCAM, but I have never tested this.

tigertimtim
18-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Having owned both spiderbox and protek,

the protek wins hands down , far more user friendly ,epg on protek works umpteen times more smoothly, channals open much quicker on the protek with reliability ,the sever support is in a different class to the spiderbox as well !

the downside for op is no cccam but enough to watch by far with all areas of interest covered by the 20 odd bouquets that open on the protek:]

Aldo
18-07-2012, 06:14 PM
@tigertimtim

It would have helped if you had stated which version of the Protek receiver it is that you have, as the info in post #9, was posted by troya (Admin) on the protek forum.

corporates
18-07-2012, 06:17 PM
got to say the spider is good, if using a decent cccam supplier. Ethernet is a bit hit and miss.

Never had a protek so cant say, all i know is the spider is easy to use, but i do know the protek version of ethernet has been reported as better than spider from what i have read elsewhere if that's all you are after

Regards
Corporates.

tigertimtim
18-07-2012, 06:50 PM
@tigertimtim

It would have helped if you had stated which version of the Protek receiver it is that you have, as the info in post #9, was posted by troya (Admin) on the protek forum.

protek 9760 hd

Friendly-Face
18-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I would vouch for the Spiderbox
I was lucky to buy mine as early as they where avalible and still going strong here.
Protec well i had one some time back but not anymore so cannot say anything about it now expect that Spider does better work for me

markanddeb
18-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Iv got a spiderbox hd I was a complete newb never touched anything other than a sly+ box it was hard at first but running rings round it in a matter of a fortnight now using cccam and getting sly for £15 for three months no glitch no freeze and only 1.6 meg and all because of brilliant sites like this i dont even use my gift i dont have to,so I can't thank these posters enough on this site so whatever you choose these guys will pull you through iv no doubt!

blinkerd
20-07-2012, 05:36 AM
thak you all for your help have decided to go with spiderbox 9900hd.