PDA

View Full Version : VFD display gone on my 6900 super.

jamesjay
11-10-2012, 05:20 PM
As the post says my 6900 super HD is no longer displaying the time when off or the channel when on, although the circular blue light is working on the right hand side so I am presuming it is not a power failure but it is the display matrix/panel that as gone.

It is still fully working so I decided to have a look at the power supply unit because I did change the capacitors when the USB's stopped working although the USB’s are still working, but I can't see any more burnt or swelling components.

Because it is 5 or 6 years old I am not sure if it is worth sending back to Technomate for a repair...other bits could be past their sell buy date too...just wondering if anyone else as had a blown display and if so how much it cost to repair, I did ring Technomate but they couldn’t give me a price if it was a blown matrix/panel.

Any help, comments, or advice would as always be appreciated.

Kind regards
James.

holmroad
12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
As the post says my 6900 super HD is no longer displaying the time when off or the channel when on, although the circular blue light is working on the right hand side so I am presuming it is not a power failure but it is the display matrix/panel that as gone.

It is still fully working so I decided to have a look at the power supply unit because I did change the capacitors when the USB's stopped working although the USB’s are still working, but I can't see any more burnt or swelling components.

Because it is 5 or 6 years old I am not sure if it is worth sending back to Technomate for a repair...other bits could be past their sell buy date too...just wondering if anyone else as had a blown display and if so how much it cost to repair, I did ring Technomate but they couldn’t give me a price if it was a blown matrix/panel.

Kind regards
James.

If everything else is working fine mate, it depends just how much stall you put on seeing the time displayed!:number-one-043:

TK4|2|1
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Have you checked in the menu's, isn't there an option to turn it off? It's been a while since I owned 1 I could be wrong.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

beamobhoy
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Kind regards
James.

It's knackered - i'll take it off your hands for £50 delivered (£30 if it's silver!) :cool:

sat_rrstm
13-10-2012, 06:21 PM
It happened to me for a couple of days 2 years ago,but it came back by itself !!!
I can't remember if it did after a new patch installation or after a first daily boot
(I switched it OFF from the rear switch every night before going to bed).
Give it a week or so.

Aldo
13-10-2012, 08:08 PM
It's knackered - i'll take it off your hands for £50 delivered (£30 if it's silver!) :cool:

Please read the Rules:

Additional clarification...

1) no private adverts = this means no sales adverts of any kind , and also means no WANTED adverts of any kind , especially when referring to sat gear , sat videos , sat dvd`s , sat motors , sat receivers , dreamcast`s etc
no part exchanges allowed either !!!

jamesjay
14-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Please read the Rules:

Additional clarification...

1) no private adverts = this means no sales adverts of any kind , and also means no WANTED adverts of any kind , especially when referring to sat gear , sat videos , sat dvd`s , sat motors , sat receivers , dreamcast`s etc
no part exchanges allowed either !!!

I think Beamobhoy was cracking a joke...if he wasn't he was definitely having a laugh and should give up his daytime job and become a comedian.

Anyway thanks for the input all...I am happy using it without a working display I just thought that there might have been other owners like Sat_rrstm that had had the same or a similar problem, I may do a factory reset after storing my setting so thanks Sat_rrstm.

Kind regards
James

beamobhoy
14-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Well that's my one joke of the year gone for a burton. :o15:

jamesjay
14-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I did laugh at your joke M8 so thank you.

James

stroker
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
It seems the display uses 32V from the power supply. I'm not sure but I don't think 32V is used anywhere else and if so will only affect the display.

The 32V is produced by D12, C22 and C23 (both 47uF 50V) you should be able to measure it across R4 (3k3) at the front left corner of the power supply board (mine measures 35V). If 32V is missing D12 may be faulty. If C22 or C23 were short circuit it would this would tend to drag down all voltages which doesn't seem to be the case.

The 32V should also appear on the far left pin of the display connector on the main board. If 32V is present the display itself may well be faulty.

Also to the left of the display connector on the main board U47 regulator produces 6V (on middle pin) which also goes to the display, not sure which pin.

joany
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
It seems the display uses 32V from the power supply. I'm not sure but I don't think 32V is used anywhere else and if so will only affect the display.

The 32V is produced by D12, C22 and C23 (both 47uF 50V) you should be able to measure it across R4 (3k3) at the front left corner of the power supply board (mine measures 35V). If 32V is missing D12 may be faulty. If C22 or C23 were short circuit it would this would tend to drag down all voltages which doesn't seem to be the case.

The 32V should also appear on the far left pin of the display connector on the main board. If 32V is present the display itself may well be faulty.

Also to the left of the display connector on the main board U47 regulator produces 6V (on middle pin) which also goes to the display, not sure which pin.

WOW..... geek!

jamesjay
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes Geeky but very informative...I did check for burning or enlarged capacitors on the PSB but couldn't see anything usual, I think my display is blown because the round control knob on the right of the unit is still lighting up in blue...so I think the display as power...but will get my meter out.

Thanks Stroker good post M8.

stroker
06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks Joany it's a long time since anyone's called me a geek.

Jamesjay,
I'm pretty sure the main display and the blue light are quite separate.
The blue light is probably just an LED which runs on low voltage.
The VFD display needs a higher voltage. I did a quick check for a similar sized one on **** and that needed about 30V.
If you have got 32V the display is probably gone if you haven't I suspect D12 is faulty.
I would check it out personally but I know it can be a pain taking the thing apart and you can live without the display.

joany
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks Joany it's a long time since anyone's called me a geek.

No offence intended by the way.