PDA

View Full Version : New Android Gingerbread/ICS downloads

holmroad
04-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi, I've had a message on my Huawei Ascend 300 that a download is available to upgrade to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) - which is supposed to enable the use of SkyGo etc at long last!
However it does state that Gingerbread needs downloading first, followed by ICS!
How do I actually get this download(s) to start please, as I Google to it (on the phone), but then all I get are the instructions and not the actual downloads?:frown:

holmroad
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Just an addition to my first post:-

I found in 'About Phone' menu that I can do available updates there, there are several, so hopefully the new ICS update is one of those!
If this is successful I will report back here!
Thank you for your time.:respect-050::respect-050:

traveller
05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
We are on JB on our Samsung Galaxy SIIIs. ICS is a lot slicker that GB so you will notice the difference.

manhatten
05-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Holmroad Dont put ICS on your Huawei Ascend 300 there is big problems with that download, If you look on the vodafone forum you will see.

holmroad
05-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Hi Holmroad Dont put ICS on your Huawei Ascend 300 there is big problems with that download, If you look on the vodafone forum you will see.

Already done it mate - one big benefit is that it seems to be conserving power much better than previous software - but what are the pitfalls?
I know I still havent managed to get SkyGo to work, contrary to my expectations!:D

manhatten
06-11-2012, 12:18 AM
This is the info that I am reading

Huawei G300 update fails Google's Compatibility Test Suite

Nov 04 2012 12:00 PM | hecatae in Android

You probably already know that there is a requirement for devices to pass a number of tests (known as the CTS) in order to quality for access to the Play Store. If you run Google's CTS test against the current B936 OTA UK Vodafone Ice Cream Sandwich release, it fails!

The failures are as follows:
•‘AppSecurity’ CTS Test Failures (1)

•‘Java’ CTS Test Failures (11)

•‘Android’ Test Plan - Test Failures (71)
Yes, 83 failures in total, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Full details of the failures are on the Vodafone eForum here.

But the above issues are not the only ones, there are also further faults with Vodafone's Android 4.0 update for the G300 includeing:
•Dictionary broken.

•Caller ID broken - it doesn't display in time.

•No hardware accelerated UI despite do***ented written promises.

•Reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card.

•Sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management.

•Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC or powered off.

•The security flaw that allows the sim card to be destroyed when visiting a malicious url has not been patched in this build.
Here's hoping that Vodafone release a new update soon, I would not like my device to be locked out of the Play Store or be so vulnerable to sim card attacks (not to mention the bugs!).

traveller
06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
This is the info that I am reading

Huawei G300 update fails Google's Compatibility Test Suite

Nov 04 2012 12:00 PM | hecatae in Android

You probably already know that there is a requirement for devices to pass a number of tests (known as the CTS) in order to quality for access to the Play Store. If you run Google's CTS test against the current B936 OTA UK Vodafone Ice Cream Sandwich release, it fails!

The failures are as follows:
•‘AppSecurity’ CTS Test Failures (1)

•‘Java’ CTS Test Failures (11)

•‘Android’ Test Plan - Test Failures (71)
Yes, 83 failures in total, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Full details of the failures are on the Vodafone eForum here.

But the above issues are not the only ones, there are also further faults with Vodafone's Android 4.0 update for the G300 includeing:
•Dictionary broken.

•Caller ID broken - it doesn't display in time.

•No hardware accelerated UI despite do***ented written promises.

•Reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card.

•Sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management.

•Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC or powered off.

•The security flaw that allows the sim card to be destroyed when visiting a malicious url has not been patched in this build.
Here's hoping that Vodafone release a new update soon, I would not like my device to be locked out of the Play Store or be so vulnerable to sim card attacks (not to mention the bugs!).

I dosen't look like they did any testing before release.

holmroad
06-11-2012, 11:16 PM
So its all eleven fingers crossed time then eh guys!!:respect-059: