PDA

View Full Version : Recording HD?

timbo
26-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone,
At the moment I can only record HD programmes in SD with an old Hard drive recorder connected to my Spiderbox via a scart. Is there a way to hook up a HD recorder to the box?
Many thanks,
T.

echelon
26-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi everyone,
At the moment I can only record HD programmes in SD with an old Hard drive recorder connected to my Spiderbox via a scart. Is there a way to hook up a HD recorder to the box?
Many thanks,
T.

no m8

your box can only output SD over scart, and cannot output a recording signal over hdmi or component due to the limitations of those connections

not only that, a HD recorder cannot record from external sources in HD quality, again its limited by HDMI issues to stop this from being achieved

so HD recorders can only record in SD from external sources, usually by composite or scart (or rf)

for you to record in HD on your spiderbox you have to use the USB option

for this reason alone, its the reason that many owners buy a dreambox or vu or similar boxes that can record to sata hdd like a sly plus HD box does, preferably an internal one but eSATA will also work

so the sale of dreamboxes and vu or similar boxes also depends if owners wish to fit internal sata hdd drives for these very purposes, and many do want to do this, and then transfer over lan to a pc or laptop for editing and placing onto disc etc (or the net)

timbo
26-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Thankyou Echelon, for your detailed reply. Most of the time SD will do, I didn't know about recording on usb that's excellent, will hunt out the manual and investigate.
Cheers,
T.

timbo
04-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Thankyou Echelon, for your detailed reply. Most of the time SD will do, I didn't know about recording on usb that's excellent, will hunt out the manual and investigate.
Cheers,
T.

Have bought a 32GB usb. And it records okay for small 15 mins or so programmes, but for larger recordings, when finished, I press play and it just kills the box, and I have to re-boot, then it does it again. The usb is a Kingstone a make which has always been reliable in the past. Is it the stick or am I doing something wrong?
Many thanks,
T.

echelon
04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
did you format the stick to fat32 on your pc or in the spiderbox first ?

did you set the recording size too ?

tutorials are in the guides and faq section

the manuals are in that section too

timbo
04-12-2012, 12:07 PM
did you format the stick to fat32 on your pc or in the spiderbox first ?

did you set the recording size too ?

tutorials are in the guides and faq section

the manuals are in that section too

Hi,

I formatted the stick inside the Spider

At first I set the timer for 15 mins on an SD channel it worked fine

Then I just pressed record on an HD channel, and when I saved, there was nothing there

Tried it a couple of times after, and it seemed to record and save okay. But when I pressed play everything went black, and nothing worked until a re-boot.

I formatted the stick, a couple of times after it started to go wrong, with the same results.

The stick is inserted into a small USB extension.

Cheers

T.

Aldo
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Which spiderbox receiver do you have, some receivers have 2 USB Ports, 1 Front & 1 Rear these have to be configured to use which ever port it is that you are using, even for your small USB extension.

timbo
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Which spiderbox receiver do you have, some receivers have 2 USB Ports, 1 Front & 1 Rear these have to be configured to use which ever port it is that you are using, even for your small USB extension.

Hi Aldo, Thankyou for your reply. I have 9000HD there are 2 ports at the back I will put the stick directly in the second one and see if that makes any difference.
T.

echelon
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
you didnt mention if you had set up the recording mode/time (the default file size)

timbo
04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
you didnt mention if you had set up the recording mode/time (the default file size)

Ah, I don't know what that is, will have another read of the manual.
Cheers,
T.

echelon
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
the point about fat32 is it wont allow file sizes that are greater then 4 gig, so you have to set the files to 4 gig or less

HD recording takes up more space than SD recording, so its even more important considering you wish to record in HD

it is mentioned in the faq section here , as I said earlier in post #5 , so not reading our FAQ section is hampering your knowledge and abilities

Aldo
04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Ah, I don't know what that is, will have another read of the manual.
Cheers,
T.

The manual only gives you a basic insight, the FAQ's that echelon mentioned will give you more detail info, and other members experience of dealing with your situation.

timbo
04-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I have been looking through FAQ for my problem the nearest I can find is

"Here you can set the recording file size (selectable between 256,512,1024,2048,and 4096MB) and turn off/on the Timeshift facilty. (It is better to leave this on)."

And now I cant get to the box, until later to investigate.

Thanks for your patience chaps, always something new to learn.

T.

timbo
05-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi, when I go to PVR to set record size, I can see the timeshift option, but the record size option only allows me to set time up to 24hrs but not the MB size. Bit confused.
Thanks,
T.

timbo
06-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh well, have followed all the FAQs appertaining my Spider box: PVR. Set up and installation. Brutus's stickie on Timer record on PVR etc, and still cant find how to set the recording file size. Tonight I set the PVR recording size to four hours, then set the timer to record one and a half hours in HD. It recorded 45 minutes
Bit frustrating
Cheers
T.

timbo
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Its a dud, going back tomorrow. Bought a hard drive, hope to have better luck with that.
Cheers everone,
T.

flickerrr
10-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Let us know how you get on timbo - sometimes reading the faq arent as good as ones experience

Aldo
10-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Let us know how you get on timbo - sometimes reading the faq arent as good as ones experience

I always though that the FAQ replies were members experiencies of any given situation at the time of posting, however maybe you know better. ?

timbo
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi,
I didn't know what to do, then I read another thread about fake USB sticks, so I downloaded a testing tool, and bingo, bugs, bugs, bugs. Relief really, I thought I was an idiot and not following instructions properly. Wouldn't be the first time.
Cheers,
T.

flickerrr
11-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Good to know timbo glad u got sorted seems to be a new experience so i agree with aldo should be put into faq

timbo
12-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Bought a used Weston Digital hard drive £30.00 on *******, formatted it. Fantastic bit of kit.
Thanks all,
T.

timbo
11-11-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been using the Western Digital external drive to record from my Spider Box successfully for some time, but now sometimes it is freezing halfway through the recording. So instead of buying another one straight away, I tried using a 16G USB stick, and the same thing happens. Tried re-formatting, and it works for a few times, but then starts freezing again. So it may be be the box, Would appreciate any advice.
Many thanks,
Tim.

Bbigfoot
11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi All,

@timbo,

The way I record HD from my VU+ Uno
is, Connect (PC Upstairs Router Downstairs)
to Uno from PC with Openweif (Wi Fi)
through 300 Mbps 802.11n router using
VLC Media Player.
Click Record on VLC, Recording is sent
into MY Do***ents when you click
record button again (That stops recording).
Load a DVD+RW disk into PC, drag and
drop VLC recording into your
DVD RW DVR drive to record to DVD.
Take 5 to 6 minutes to Burn 90 min Flim to DVD.
No other Burn Ware needed, that
on my Windows 8.1 Pro. ( 8.1 Crap).

Thing I need to fix with the
Wi fi Connection is a stable HD picture
with no brake ups.
SD recording are Spot on.

BF.

timbo
11-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi Bbigfoot,
Thanks for your reply, that is a different system to what I use, but its interesting to hear of others experiences.
Tim.

timbo
21-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Looks like its sorted, last week I connected the external drive to the other port, haven't had any freezing since.
Merry Christmas all,
Tim

Aldo
21-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Pleased to see that you have got it all sorted.

timbo
26-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks Aldo, but it did it again last night with the footie I was downloading at the time, so it might have been that. Been recording today with no problems.
Tim.