PDA

View Full Version : USB WI-FI Dongle

pixey
01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a USB wi-fi dongle in a VU+ Uno and if it is, how do you load the drivers?

I have a Tenda wireless router that I bought from the sponsor, but find that most of the time it won't work so I have been using a LAN cable.

pixey

voyager1972
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
get a vonets wifi bridge,,, works great....
dosent need drivers

Detlef
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
get a vonets wifi bridge,,, works great....
dosent need drivers

Yup, I'd agree with that. I've been using one for about a year and never had to look at it again. You simply run a PC utility to set the LAN parameters in the Vonet and then it behaves like a cable.

BTW have you set up the router so it is the DHCP master ? And the Vu so it gets its IP address only from the router ?

Another way is to declare the Vu to the router by its MAC address and give it an address above the DHCP range - that way it will always have the same address on your LAN (useful for when you FTP to the Vu).

joany
01-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I had a vonets wifi bridge and it didnt perform very well for me. I now have a netgear wge111 wireless game adaptor which works great (£10 used item off *******)

******** = flea bay

pixey
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Yup, I'd agree with that. I've been using one for about a year and never had to look at it again. You simply run a PC utility to set the LAN parameters in the Vonet and then it behaves like a cable.

BTW have you set up the router so it is the DHCP master ? And the Vu so it gets its IP address only from the router ?

Another way is to declare the Vu to the router by its MAC address and give it an address above the DHCP range - that way it will always have the same address on your LAN (useful for when you FTP to the Vu).

Detlef, can you please explain how I can do what you have said and force the VU to use the Tenda because it works sometimes but is VERY unreliable?

pixey

Detlef
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm off out now but will give a better explanation tomorrow - unless someone else does it first.

pixey
01-12-2012, 08:28 PM
That's great, thanks.

pixey

fred fickle
01-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Yep usb dongle works great especially if you don't have landline.
Vonex is very tempramental so I ditched it.

sonic1
01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a USB wi-fi dongle in a VU+ Uno and if it is, how do you load the drivers?

I have a Tenda wireless router that I bought from the sponsor, but find that most of the time it won't work so I have been using a LAN cable.

pixey

You can buy an official Vu wireless dongle. No drivers needed. 300mps I use one on my Uno

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

pixey
02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Sonic1, where. Did you get the official VU one from?

sonic1
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Came with the Ultimo

Bbigfoot
02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

@sonic1, Hi, Do you need a duel band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
to pickup a HD channel on your 300mps Wifi dongle plugged into
the Ultimo.

I have a 300mps Wifi PCI Card in desktop, but my highest connection to
Thompson router is only 65mps.
That's because its only a 2.4GHz router.

When I am viewing any satellite channel through the (VCL) player
on my Desktop monitor I am limited to SD channels.
all HD channels freeze and stutter, and that's with the File caching
and Live caching and Network caching Up from (300ms) to (5000ms).

BF.

sonic1
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
@Bbigfoot
I do have a duel band router, Draytek 2820

pixey
20-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I have bought the official VU+ 300N wireless LAN USB adaptor, dissabled the wired LAN connection, input the key (WEP) for my homehub, but when I run the network test, I don't get an IP address and the name server is "unconfirmed".
I am using DHCP.

Doe's anyone know what the problem is?

pixey

pixey
24-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Does anyone use the VU+ 300N wireless LAN USB adaptor?

pixey