PDA

View Full Version : technomate 6900 dead

soussss
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
hello
hi to you all
i was uploading a patch to my tech 6900 and it froze halfway. i waited for good 10mns but nothing. i know that i should not switch it off while doing that.
so i decided to switch it off and then back on and guess what it killed it. no light nothing is coming on .so i have opened it to see if there's any bulged caps they all look fine. the only thing is working in it is the blue circle sometimes it does come on sometimes it doesn't. is there a way of rescuing it or is it bin job.?
thanks

TK4|2|1
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
You could try using an rs232 null modem lead and he technomate downloader software and Try patching it that way.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

soussss
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
thanks mate can you point to me where about is this downloader??
i have tried the darkman one last night no result
thanks

echelon
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
thanks mate can you point to me where about is this downloader??
i have tried the darkman one last night no result
thanks

the technomate loader and firmware are on their official site

but the dm loader works just as well

but in this case I dont see how you can resurrect it as it needs jtagging or the eeprom bios chip reprogramming on a suitable machine

so my opinion is that its dead and a bin job

unless somebody else knows different ?

stroker
07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
To see if you can access the loader menu power on the receiver while holding down the menu key on the front panel.

Hopefully you will see "LOADER MENU" on the display and then a menu will come up on the TV screen.

If this happens you should be able to use the loader over a serial cable.

soussss
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
thanks for your help stroker i did try that but no + results.
i have just made a null modem cable at work i will try tonight.
thanks

stroker
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
As regards the cable you only need 3 connections, pins 2,3 and 5.

Although it's a 9 pin connector there are only 3 connections to the mainboard internally.

If it doesn't work try swapping tx/rx, pins 2/3 on one end of the cable.

soussss
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
thanks guys
i will try it tonight and let you know.
i actually made two null modem cables one with 3 pins/ and the othe with 8 pins.
i did not get to the bottom of it last night it was a bit late and (the missues chouting stop it . stop fiddling about~) you know the score lads.
by the way what is the best patch to boot it with.....
thanks again

stroker
07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if you have loaded the wrong patch.
There are a few different models, some are "Super" models.
It is likely that loading a Super patch to a non super model or vice versa may kill it.

I have a 6900 HD Combo Super.
I think the combo part refers to it having a Terrestrial Freeview tuner as well as the satellite tuner.
As far as the patch is concerned I think the important bit is if it's super or not.
Most people seem to recommend 726p for the super I'm not sure about the no-super.
I have been running various versions up to 750p, 748p is probably safer but I'm on 2.16p at the moment can't remember why!
I suggest 726p would be a good starting point although at the moment if you load any patch it would be a step forward.
I have never loaded a patch over rs232 so I can only wish you good luck with it.

soussss
07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
hi
just to let you know i am still trying to revive this beast but in vain . all i get is the blue circle i have measured the voltage from the rs 232 between pin 2 and 3 from pc and it's ok 10.70 dc v. by the way this the super version 6900 combo super.
still scratching my head here.
hi manic what do you mean by forced download?
thanks

stroker
08-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I found this on another website it may be worth a try.

joany
08-12-2012, 05:09 AM
hi
just to let you know i am still trying to revive this beast but in vain . all i get is the blue circle i have measured the voltage from the rs 232 between pin 2 and 3 from pc and it's ok 10.70 dc v. by the way this the super version 6900 combo super.
still scratching my head here.
hi manic what do you mean by forced download?
thanks

earlier this year somebody had the same problem as you and it was fixed using manics instructions:
Originally Posted by Manic01
Do a forced download
1) Download latest patch for your model
2) unzip/unrar patch
3) Open Darkman loader 187
4) locate the file you have just downloaded
5) click connect
6) switch your reciever off at the back
7) switch it back on again
8) loading will start automaticaly

This may have to be done a few times till it actually loads but it will definately load and then all will be ok again.

Frickin hell just thought i bricked the box but follow instructions a hey presto! cheers whooooa

(quoted from another forum) google this "bricked-6900-combo"

echelon
08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
a "forced download" is the method described to forcibly download new firmware into a box using the rs232 port

that forced download was the instructions manic01 gave, which forces a download by starting it on a pc with the box switched off, and then switching the box on and waiting for the download to start, if it boots up (or fails to start at all), you repeat and repeat and repeat until it does "kick in"

I recently did the same on an old sv combo to "force download" the spider software into it, must have taken 10 or 20 "goes" to force download the spider bin file into the box (from "I WAS BORED ONE DAY") but eventually the download started and I completed the task

so by forcing a download, you are using the "forced download" method which can take several goes or more to achieve. it may not work in this case but there is nothing to lose and all you are hoping is to kickstart the download process even if it takes 20 "goes"

a null modem cable, any loader and the correct bin file will suffice

hope that explains it

joany
08-12-2012, 01:44 PM
a "forced download" is the method described to forcibly download new firmware into a box using the rs232 port

that forced download was the instructions manic01 gave, which forces a download by starting it on a pc with the box switched off, and then switching the box on and waiting for the download to start, if it boots up (or fails to start at all), you repeat and repeat and repeat until it does "kick in"

I recently did the same on an old sv combo to "force download" the spider software into it, must have taken 10 or 20 "goes" to force download the spider bin file into the box (from "I WAS BORED ONE DAY") but eventually the download started and I completed the task

so by forcing a download, you are using the "forced download" method which can take several goes or more to achieve. it may not work in this case but there is nothing to lose and all you are hoping is to kickstart the download process even if it takes 20 "goes"

a null modem cable, any loader and the correct bin file will suffice

hope that explains it

I wonder if it is a timing issue that causes the need for several attempts. When uploading files in the normal way the stb actually fetches the correct file when it is ready to install it. With the forced download the pc initiates the file download and the user then has to restart the stb at exactly the right time (ie not too early and not too late). Just a logical line of thought.

echelon
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I wonder if it is a timing issue that causes the need for several attempts. When uploading files in the normal way the stb actually fetches the correct file when it is ready to install it. With the forced download the pc initiates the file download and the user then has to restart the stb at exactly the right time (ie not too early and not too late). Just a logical line of thought.

that is my thoughts too, especially as its the same effect on numerous boxes, not just this one he owns

soussss
08-12-2012, 02:22 PM
hi lads
still at it
just guted about the footie this weekend.
i want to buy something similar that can handle both newcamd and cccam what do recomend.
thanks for help

soussss
08-12-2012, 03:04 PM
hi does anybody know somewhere where it can get fixed? i give upppppp
just ordered the same one today black one .
thanks for your help guys

joany
08-12-2012, 03:30 PM
hi does anybody know somewhere where it can get fixed? i give upppppp
just ordered the same one today black one .
thanks for your help guys

I looked on the internet and a couple of people have recovered their boxes from your position using the instruction given by Manic. I suggest you just keep trying the same method but try to change the time slightly before switching your box on after hitting the upload button. Also just double check that your homemade null modem cable is correct.

keep at it .

alboke
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
had a similer problem to you no blue circle lit
i used goback 688 stb
just would not load latest patch
that one seems to clear it out erases old patch and loads back up
worth a try

stroker
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I have checked out my serial cable.
Pin2 is connected to pin3 the other end and
Pin3 is connected to pin2 the other end.

With the cable connected to the tm6900 only
I can measue a voltage of 0.28v between pin5 and pin2 on the other end of the cable.
There is no voltage between pin 5 and pin3
If you see this voltage on pin3 instead you have pins 2&3 swapped.

I don't know why the voltage is so low but I know this works as I have
used it to transfer channel settings in both directions.

You could try contacting customer support on technomate.com

soussss
08-12-2012, 09:40 PM
checked the cable pin2 to pin3/ pin3 to pin2 and 5 to 5
the goback 688 is that a firmware ?
the only thing i may need set probably the port setting i know it's port one . maybe something else need to be altered.
i have done this goback flashing before ages ago but the box was stuck in standby. as soon as i clicked connect it kicked it ass straight away. but now is not having it at all.
thanks guys

alboke
08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
688 is a early firmware
seems to restore back to original
overwriting and erazing later firmware and patches
attached a copy with the loader that works ok in win7 /xp

soussss
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
thanks mate
i have trying for the last two hours still no joy. any one the new one is on the way next week. probably then it will get jalous and it will boot itself.
thanks

soussss
11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
hi guys
i have just got tech 6900 combo super+ delivered this morning.
quick question is this super + version the same as the previous one super . what is the difference between the two and will it have the same firmware as the super ( 6900)

thanks

stroker
11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I think I have the same model.
At top left of front panel it says -

"TM-6900 HD COMBO Super
USB PVR Ready"

I am currently using 751p(Dec 6 2012) firmware which is the newest.
I suggest you try that version, but others I have used are 748p and 726p.

I notice a lot of people suggest disconnecting the LNB when flashing
or at least switching on a FTA channel. I have never worried about this
but maybe you want to extra careful at the moment.

stroker
11-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Firmware is different for Super and non-Super.
Also for 6800 and 6900.

I think the combo refers to it having a Freeview/Terrestrial tuner but I am not sure.

holmroad
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Mine is the TM6900HD Super Combo, which I think preceded the Super+ model, swiftly followed by the TM6902HD - and I am on patch 751P - which so far seems to be coming up with the goods!!:respect-037:

Grahamc
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Why indeed, especially as it is "obsolete" according to Technomates own site. I thought I had bu**ered mine yesterday, but thanks to this forum it seems to be ok now, I downloaded 751p and went to the Technomate website for the latest original firmware (thats when I saw the 6900hd series were put as being obsolete) anyway, I reset the box then began uploading the original firmware, it locked up after writing 69% - what do you do, I had to switch it off and the box other than displaying Technomate on the front (no blue circle) did nothing. That is when I panicked a bit and looked on the old reliable Satdudes (still prefer that title) for help. I downloaded Sat4fun's forced loader first and uploaded that into the TM then put the 751p back in but the box kept freezing up every few seconds, so I downloaded 750p - put the forced upload in again then 750p but got the same again - box kept freezing (tried them both 2 or 3 times) I then downloaded Darkman's loader + 688 (thanks albloke), uploaded them and went back to 726p and everything seems fine watched the Newcastle match last night (and kept flicking through the channels to make sure of no freeze)
Each time I tried (both forced loaders) they fired up first go every time so I cannot understand why ppl are having to have 20 goes at getting it to upload, it would have happened first time for me if it had not been for the freezing (still do not know why this happened.

Best regards and thanks to all members who contributed to this post (and all others)

soussss
12-12-2012, 11:36 AM
i have ordered the old one because i am used to it and familiar with it and it was a bargain. and i can't be asked having another one different serie then i have to learn about it . different firmware and settings ....i dont have much time for that. anyway..
i phoned technomate yesterday and guytold me to look into some caps on the power supply which i have ordered today. i 'll let you know of the outcome ...
that the only step i haven't done . they are not bulged or leaked and even the reading of the dc voltage from the loom terminal seems fine. he still insist to change them.
thanks guys

stroker
13-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I totally see your point - better the devil you know.
You don't have to have the newest or best STB and getting your head around a new one is always a pain.

I was looking at the power supply caps a while ago and even changed a few for the hell of it.
I changed C14,C12,C41 and C28.

Which caps did the Technomate guy suggest you change?

Here is a list of some of the caps and the supply lines they are connected to

C14 ......... 3300uF 10V ...... 1.7V
C12,41 ... 1500uF 10V ........ 5V
C28 ........ 2200uF 16V ........ 7V/8V
C22,23 ... 47uF 50V ............ 32V for VFD Display?
C15 ....... 2200uF 10V ......... 1.7V
C29 ....... 1000uF 10V ......... 8V

soussss
21-12-2012, 01:50 PM
technomate guy suggested c14,c41,c28,c22 . but i went a bit further i nearly swapped all the caps. strangely enough the reading of caps when i removed them they were all fine. even though the receiver still the same no change. i spoke to the guy if he can supply the motherboard and he quoted me 130 quids.
anyway i am giving it a rest now ... i ll go back to later on.....and i ll let you know of the outcome.
thanks for your suggestions guys