PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panel Dish

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I think I know what the answer is gonna be after doing hours of research, but here goes anyway....(!!!!)

I 'm looking for a discreet satellite dish (i.e a Sqish, Selfsat) to go on the front of my house.. The issue is, as far as I'm aware, they are only capable of accommodating 1 LNB and I would like to receive Astra and HotBird....

I have read about painting dishes, installing in loft (with skylight/window fitted), etc etc..

Just checking with everyone that my only definite options are either a fixed dish with x 2 LNB's or a motorised dish?..

Cheers,

:)

echelon
23-12-2012, 08:29 PM
to get 2 satellites you need either two lnb,s on a suitable mount on one suitably sized dish , or a 6 degree monoblock lnb on the one suitable dish, or 2 dishes, or the motorised option, I cannot advise you on a flat panel dish, but the above is correct for any dish needing more than one satellite

donki
23-12-2012, 08:30 PM
It would help if you told us what exactly you are trying to achieve (what sat's you're after).

Dish on front of the house is limited to 1M max by most councils in the UK. Milton Keynes is or at least was an exception in that they don't allow such full stop not do they allow new builds to have garages. :)

echelon
23-12-2012, 08:32 PM
It would help if you told us what exactly you are trying to achieve (what sat's you're after).

he did say, astra and hotbird

satwyn
23-12-2012, 08:35 PM
2 sats on a flat panel dish not possible afaik you will need the type with a forward arm but a motorised flat dish would give you multisat options

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Cheers echelon. I thought that would be the answer.. Coincidently I was just checking out some pics of your set-up (4 lnb's on 1 dish). Mighty impressive!

I see a small motorised dish (around 43cm) is available on the market for about £135 which states it's capable of receiving Astra and HotBird..

What would your opinion on this be? I appreciate the bigger the better, but as I say, trying to keep it as discreet as poss...

donki
23-12-2012, 08:37 PM
he did say, astra and hotbird

No more beer for me tonight. :)

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Ha ha.. Cheers anyway Donki..

I appreciate everybody's help on here..

echelon
23-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Cheers echelon. I thought that would be the answer.. Coincidently I was just checking out some pics of your set-up (4 lnb's on 1 dish). Mighty impressive!

I see a small motorised dish (around 43cm) is available on the market for about £135 which states it's capable of receiving Astra and HotBird..

What would your opinion on this be? I appreciate the bigger the better, but as I say, trying to keep it as discreet as poss...

I could never get 2 sats on a sly zone 1 mini-dish which is 39cm , from a monoblock or from an lnb rack, but extending that 59cm zone 2 dish lnb arm allowed me to do so with both options, never seen a motorised 43cm dish, but I have seen the small 55 cm wave frontier toroidal dishes that allow for say 4 sats so should easily manage 2, incidentally, my lad now uses that dish for the 2 sats you asked about, and a sly mini dish for 28e

43cm dishes seem to be mainly the caravan/mobile freesat types and usually are fixed dishes not motorised

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah.. I think I may of misread about a 43cm motorised dish.. Been trawling the net researching so much recently.. Think my brains slowly melting!

I may have to 'bite the bullet' and go for a larger fixed dish.. Or a flat plate in my spare room window and move it manually as switch between satellites!!

satwyn
23-12-2012, 09:35 PM
sat dish behind glass not an ideal solution especially to try and receive signal from more than 1 sat position

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Cheers satwyn. I did read up a little bit about that..

I'll prob go for 60-80cm fixed dish with x 2 LNB's.. or a Sqish (fixed on Hotbird as only interested in football). Then keep basic package with current provider and switch between 2!

Bbigfoot
23-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi Lawxlb.

I modified a S@y zone 2 mesh 60cm
dish (can't notice its not a 43cm dish) from
the ground.
Can't see the motor ether.
It will pickup Astra 19e and Hotbird 13e.
It will pickup 30w Hispasat if its in view from
the front of you house, 28e 39e 4.8e 1w 5w
will all give you above 70% Signal Quality.

What you need (£65 Motor) (£25 60cm
mesh dish..the bracket it comes with is OK)
( two U Bolts, £3) Exhaust U Bolts from Gearbox
are the ones I Used.

BF.

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Cheers BF. Any preference as to what LNB? Did you use standard s@y one??

Bbigfoot
23-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi Lawxlb,

The S@y zone two 60cm mash dish was
supplied with a bog standard S@y LNB.

I would say too, it is spot on.
It pulls in 100% Sig Quality on most of
28e channels S@y and BBC HD
and ITV HD 1, 2, 3, 4.
Where my 80cm dish only pulls
in 80 to 95% Sig Quality and that
with a 0.2 LNB.

BF.

Detlef
23-12-2012, 11:03 PM
You can also run offset dishes on their back so they look like a patio table - a trick done here in FRD. Main problem is in winter when they tend to fill up with snow :(

Lawxlb
23-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Interesting.. Thanks again BF..

Lawxlb
24-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey again BF,

You reckon standard sized arm on 60cm sly dish is good enough to receive HotBird and Astra? Just taking into account what echelon mentioned above (re adjusting arm length).

I'm in London area btw.

Cheers,

echelon
24-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey again BF,

You reckon standard sized arm on 60cm sly dish is good enough to receive HotBird and Astra? Just taking into account what echelon mentioned above (re adjusting arm length).

I'm in London area btw.

Cheers,

I said it didnt work on a zone 1 39cm dish , not a zone 2

if you look at the zone 2 thread it shows 4 (or 5) lnb,s for 28e through to say 5e or 42e , not just 13e and 19e

the monoblock didnt work as its designed for an 80cm dish so I had to use a different home made lnb extension arm on the 60cm zone 2 to make it work

a 60cm zone 2 may work for just 13e and 19e if using an lnb extender arm or an lnb rack, as you are only after 2 sats and not 4 or 5

always worth working out what context statements are made in when considering these things, and we were discussing getting 4 sats on a zone 2, and then somebody went one better with a 5th lnb using an electric drill adapter ;)

Bbigfoot
24-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Lawxlb,

If you go for the motor all you
need to do is enlarge (Drill)
the dishs 4 bracket holes to
enable the U bolt through.

Screw 60cm dish bracket to wall,
bolt (U bolts) motor to dish,
Bolt Dish and motor to wall Bracket.
connect coax to Motor (IN).
Connect coax (Buy a pree formed
1m F con to F con cable) to motor (Out).
Connect Motor Out to (LNB).
Align dish to 1w with compass,
Turn STB on, chose a 1w channel,
go into Menu, Go to your Signal Quality page.
Tweak dish till you pickup a Signal.
New motor are very quiet when your using
it with a mesh dish, 5 seconds to move from
13e Hotbird to 28e Eurobird.

BF.

Lawxlb
24-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Cheers buddy. You've answered my next question as well, re time it takes to adjust whilst flicking between satellites. Think I'll go for that type of set up. To reach 30W would be nice too.. Would I increase chances by going for a slightly larger Triax dish and/or a more powerful LNB?

Many thanks,

echelon
24-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Cheers buddy. You've answered my next question as well, re time it takes to adjust whilst flicking between satellites. Think I'll go for that type of set up. To reach 30W would be nice too.. Would I increase chances by going for a slightly larger Triax dish and/or a more powerful LNB?

Many thanks,

if you want 30w its in an entirely different direction so you wont get 13e + 19e + 30w from one dish as thats a spread of 49 degrees and needs a motor or two separate dishes

best lnb to buy is the inverto ultrablack which is on my dark motor and triax td110 dish, but for each of those 3 satellites a standard lnb is fine here in the uk, although the inverto is better than fine, as for dishes there is no substitute for size - as size matters ;)

Lawxlb
24-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Cheers echelon.. I was always told 'size doesn't matter?!! (lol :redface:)

Bbigfoot
24-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Lawxib,

With a Tryax 88cm dish you
will pick up all sat from 42e
to 30w, except (7w).
42e..39e..28e.(S@y .23.5e.Dutch
.19e Germ..13e Italy..9e Russia.
.7e..4.8e Holland..1w & 0.8w Scanda.
.5w France..12.5w up
to 30w Spain & Potugal.

Don't know your STB, but to pickup
and open all the film and sports channel
on all these Sats you need a good
channel list, and their is none better
than (Catseyes) channel list (Its tops).
You then need a CCcam to open Sats
With the help of a server.

I have over 1000 film channels and
more than 500 Sports channels to
chose from. (Never mist a match in 15 years).

BF.

Lawxlb
25-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Cheers BF. You da man! And merry xmas btw!

I'll check out the catseyes channel list.. Sounds good..

EDITED BY ADMIN TO REMOVE CS COMMENTS

I haven't got a stb yet. Not too sure what to go for at the mo.. I have an old redundant eurovox from the good old nagra days, but that's about it!

Bbigfoot
27-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi Lawxlb, Merry Xmas to You btwi.

The best supported box's are VU+,
(Clarke tech..X Trend).
The most popular was and maybe still
is the Dreambox,

You will need to bone up on FTP uploading.
I have a VU Uno (12 months old), you
use an app like (Dreamset 235 x 32) connect
to your STB (In my case, wirelessly) through
WiFi router downstairs, load catseye channel
list into Dreamset, connect to STB by
inputing your boxes IP Address (198.168.x.xx).
Once connected, click Wright.
That sends the List in seconds to you box.
reboot STB (Off ON) to activate new list.

The CCcam will be in the image you choose
to load into the STB, imiges like
(Openvix, Blackhole).
It sounds complicated, but once done its
a cinch.

BF.

Lawxlb
27-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks BF. More helpful info. I was thinking of buying a vu+ solo2 and running blackhole, as vix seems to have few issues at present.

EDITED BY ADMIN TO REMOVE CS COMMENTS

Xmas day and boxing day eve... I need to get a life!! lol

echelon
27-12-2012, 10:12 AM
cs and cs payment chat is banned here m8, as are server discussions, so please do not ask again

you wont find reviews on forums as its a banned subject due to the illegal nature of the said subject

I would recommend you buy a VU box from goldwafers (the forum sponsor)

VuCC0.6 by lee is the tool of choice to load channel lists, or ftp stuff over, unless you use flash fxp to ftp like I do

thread closed