PDA

View Full Version : usb to null modem lead

beany1
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
just wondering if a usb to rs232 cable could be used to flash firmware etc to technomate box ie tm5402.newer pc's dont have null modem connectors.would defo come in handy while using technomatemaker1.5 softcam key updater which has the option to transfer keys directly to box via null modem.

echelon
09-01-2013, 12:01 AM
you may find the odd one will work if using xp, vista , win7 professional or win7 ultimate , with the correct drivers of course

my experience of trying a combination of the usb adapter and a null modem cable together is that they dont work for flashing boxes or routers

the ideal solution is a desktop or laptop with built in 9 pin com port running xp (I have a hp laptop and desktop that work fine for this)

with a laptop you should really be using a port replicator or use a cardbus card with com ports on them

its a case of using the correct tools for the job, even if it means using an old xp pc from a car boot

beany1
09-01-2013, 12:11 AM
yes.just googled and found people had probs in win7,especially 64bit.and what do i have........... 64bit win7.was thinking softcam keys with the technomatemaker 1.5 utility.haven't used the prog yet,but it can send directly using null modem after finding latest keys.but will also transfer to good old usb stick i think.

echelon
09-01-2013, 12:18 AM
it was the standard method of loading keys into the tm1500 and 1000 models several years ago and shows little has changed on that side, although usb loading or ethernet on linux boxes has taken over, but the old methods are still good when you have the correct tools

ie:- win xp 32 bit (preferably xp pro) , a pc or laptop with a fifo 9 pin com port built in, and a null modem cable, (and no usb adapters in sight)

thats why I keep an old hp/compaq laptop running xp pro that has a 9 pin com port on it :D

beany1
09-01-2013, 12:23 AM
its really funny.i have my grandaughters laptop here.xp.had to format it and reinstall.but she will be here tomorrow to collect it.and i dont have null modem cable.could have tried the utiliy.

beany1
09-01-2013, 12:25 AM
love car boots.will look for one now

echelon
09-01-2013, 12:25 AM
so you are saying that this xp laptop has a 9 pin com port on it ?

whats the make and model number ?

mine is a hp nc6120

ps:- try gumtree too, sometimes ppl give them away (pc`s, not laptops)

beany1
09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
dell latitude d420.just checked. arghhhh no null modem.never mind.will bear what you have said in mind.thank you.

echelon
09-01-2013, 12:34 AM
no probs m8

you wont find many with that crucial 9 pin serial com port on them

satpaul
09-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Why not use a USB Flash Drive its much easier?

beany1
12-01-2013, 03:30 AM
hello satpaul.i beleive i have recently purchased my tm5402 from you via ***y.very pleased with the machine.you did a great job setting it up for me.i beleive you put a motorised channel list on the usb stick that came with the machine.i am shortly going motorised.will i need to delete the fixed dish channel list before loading motorised list.or does new list overwrite the old.very new to this.so any help would be brilliant

echelon
12-01-2013, 09:28 AM
backup the fixed list to a fat32 usb stick first, then load the motorised list from the stick and this will overwrite the fixed list currently on the box

then put in your longitude and latitude for usals pertaining to your actual location

if in doubt a factory reset will clear any list out of the box meaning a new list is installed from afresh from your usb stick

as for laptops, I just had a toshiba tecra M5 laptop running xp in for repair, and that has the requisite 9 pin serial com port on the right hand side near its rear hinge, so thats another laptop to look out for in order to use a null modem cable

beany1
12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
thanks again echelon.you are a mine of information.really appreciate the advice you have given me here.a'm a tad worried about the factory reset thing,as sat paul has patched the box for me and i beleive this will be lost.P.S tecra m5 on the carboot shopping list.

echelon
12-01-2013, 02:08 PM
factory resetting a box does not destroy the patched firmware or return it back to factory firmware

a factory reset on a box clears the channel list and maybe any video or audio or networking settings etc you have setup

the patched firmware will still be there on your box, but you then need to set up any other details like enabling the patch using a pin code , adding biss keys or softcams , setting up the network once more and making sure your video and audio settings are back as they are now (your current customisations)

so you are just as well to be cautious, and to write down all your settings, and find out any pin codes that enable the patch once more

beany1
12-01-2013, 02:52 PM
thank you so much.

beany1
12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
been outside trying to fit the "T" of a "T&K" bracket to steady top of my scaffold pole.bloody cold here in oxford.so bobbing in and out to gather info you are giving me and to warm up.

manic01
12-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Good luck mate, lots of helpful info on here.

beany1
12-01-2013, 03:35 PM
cheers .slight miscalculation on distance from wall to concreted pole.have had to elongate holes of bracket further to accomodate.

wilfreado
16-03-2013, 06:42 PM
my usb on my tm6800 have stopped working too...how do i patch with serial cable?

digicon
16-03-2013, 06:48 PM
I see this problem rear its head quite often now about the RS232 serial port and the mention of an old PC/Laptop i cannot answer for the Laptop side of things but as far as Tower PC's everyone i have built over the years including 2 days ago all motherboards have a Comport still on the actual board itself, Granted long gone now they have removed it from the what people call the back to make way for more USB slots and the advent of DVI and HDMI connectors. But if you look at a tower built PC it will have the Com port there and an adaptor can be had from a certain ******* site for around £4 delivered works perfectly well on my Asus board and Win7 32 bit.

Regards

wacker
21-03-2014, 11:02 AM
ye youre right
my cable works great only on windows 7
it installed itself without need for disk

holmroad
21-03-2014, 11:18 AM
ye youre right
my cable works great only on windows 7
it installed itself without need for disk

Did you notice the LAST post here was in 2014 wacker - with this, your FIRST post on Pimps?
Good news for you however too!!! lol!!