PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Blackhole

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi all, installed the latest BH image but now want to try the latest VIX. Cant for the life of me get the rid of BH.
Have done factory reset and reprogrammed with VIX but zilch.
I expect that this is because the BH is installed in the flash but thats about all I know :confused:
Very grateful if someone could give me a dummy run through on what to do.

Thanks

T

sonic1
09-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Explain how you programmed VIX, never heard of anyone who could not change the image after reflashing.

Follow this guide.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?159958-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Solo2

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Sonic, thats the procedure I followed to install BH in the first place.
Had VIX installed before that and reflashed with the BH

Now, I have done a factory reset and tried reflashing with the lates VIX build. The update takes place but the BH screen is still showing after reboot. The GUI fails to start and the system reboots.
Have now reflasehed with the BH image again and all working ok.
But, how to get over to VIX, I dont know ????

sonic1
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Try a different USB stick and format it again.

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks Sonic, will try that.
T

echelon
09-01-2013, 02:55 PM
make sure the stick is formatted in fat32

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Echelon, Hi Sonic, another silly Q. I have a usb jetflash attached to the rear port. I was going to try this to reflash the box. However, when I remove the stick the box refuses to reboot. The Silly question: is it possible have I somehow managed to install the image on the USB stick ?

sonic1
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
You may have put a backup on it ?

For information, when ever you want to flash a new image always remove USB stick and USB devices from all the other slots.

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi Sonic, thanks, will have another shot at it tomorrow.
T

donki
09-01-2013, 04:42 PM
For best results I always find it best to initialise my USB devices from within the currently booted image.

PS: The only real way to "get rid of Blackhole" would be to assasinate whole development team. :)

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi Donki, I'm hoping to avoid such drastic measures :)
Have followed Sonics advice and removed the USB from the back port.
Did a factory reset but BH is still there and working fine too.
Rebooted and now stuck with a BH start up screen again. The box is stuck in starting mode and rebooting every couple of minutes.
???
T

CokeAddict
09-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Rebooted and now stuck with a BH start up screen again. The box is stuck in starting mode and rebooting every couple of minutes.
???
T

You must have had a backup on the usb stick in the rear, which is why after reflashing you still had bh image installed.

You need to remove the rear usb stick, then put your vix image onto the other usb stick and put it into the front to flash the box again.

Once the box has been reflashed it will work as it should.

A factory reset, just removes all settings from the box, it doesn't reflash it to original software though.

moonbug
09-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Do you have a HDD fitted? .......If so disconect it before trying to reflash.

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 05:53 PM
You must have had a backup on the usb stick in the rear, which is why after reflashing you still had bh image installed.

You need to remove the rear usb stick, then put your vix image onto the other usb stick and put it into the front to flash the box again.

Once the box has been reflashed it will work as it should.

A factory reset, just removes all settings from the box, it doesn't reflash it to original software though.

Hi Cokeaddict, removed the rear usb and did the factory reset.
Reflashed with the latest Vix build. Everything runs as expected programming , flashing, erasing update etc etc and then it reboots with the BH logo and goes into a loop.
Have reflashed with the last BH image, everything is back there my settings and all plugins.
The BH image is well named; Donki's advice is looking all the more plausible as I go on :frown:

sonic1
09-01-2013, 05:54 PM
???
T
Factory reset only resets the current image Black Hole it does not flash anything different.
As advised unplug HDD if you have one.
Did you format and try and different USB stick ?
Have you created a backup somewhere since you owned the box ?

sonic1
09-01-2013, 05:55 PM
For you info the BH image is based on the original release by Vu+ BH add the features skins and plugins.

moonbug
09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Theres a back up of blackhole on the HDD disconect it and you should be ok.

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Thanks Moonbug, am trying to avoid screw drivers for the moment. But if all else fails will have to try it.

sonic1
09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
FTP to the HDD and delete the backup

CokeAddict
09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks Moonbug, am trying to avoid screw drivers for the moment. But if all else fails will have to try it.

ftp into /media/hdd and remove any backup files from there

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Factory reset only resets the current image Black Hole it does not flash anything different.
As advised unplug HDD if you have one.
Did you format and try and different USB stick ?
Have you created a backup somewhere since you owned the box ?

Hi Sonic, Hi Moonbug, havent a 3rd USB handy and since I formatted the rear USB through BH I cant acess it anymore on my pc.
I am using the same stick I used to flash the VIX image which I put on the box to begin with. And, its the same one I used to reflash to BH.
Surely the factory reset should wipe my settings and plugins but then maybe not.

I have both Full back up and personal backup on the hd.

Never had this problem before or anything similar on the Duo. Always followed the same procedure reset and reflash with no problem.
Am perhaps a bit of a ninny but even I couldnt have contrived this. The damn BH is sitting there hav'in a laugh !

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Hi Cokeaddict, Hi Sonic, will try this
Thanks
T

Haver just checked and the only two files here are the settings backup.tar.gz
And funnily enough the Vix build 553
Nothing else.
Will remove both and see how things go from there.

sonic1
09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
If you have a USB that is seen by your PC format it as instructed maybe 3 or times the delete the backups.
Really it is not that hard to flash these box's

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Hi Sonic, I would normally agree with you but have had a Duo for two years and never had a problem.
Have now deleted all backups including personal backups too.
Have now reset and will try with a clean stick tomorrow.
Thanks
T

echelon
09-01-2013, 06:53 PM
factory reset does the same on a dreambox and a vu duo, it clears the settings (channel lists and cams and plugins etc)
it doesnt change the image to anythig else, and not back to how it arrived either
if I factory reset my spiderbox it clears keys and channel lists, not the flash image, and not even any cccam or newcamd or network info either
a factory reset on my icecrypt clears out the channel list etc, but leaves the flash image intact

start afresh using a fat32 stick with the vix image on it, front usb slot, and no hdd or usb sticks anywhere else, which is what the tutorial says

Thirsty
09-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi Echelon, and thanks, this is the way it worked for me too. I installed the VIX image when I got hold of the box last week. When I decided to try BH I reset and channel lists and cams and plugins etc were wiped.
But, with the BH istalled I can reset till the cows come home; I must have reset 10 times by now and they are still there.
To begin with I forgot to remove the rear usb, but at least since this afternoon I have been following the correct procedure, with no luck.
Have deleted the backups from the HD, reset and since I dont have a clean stick tonight , have just reflashed with BH. All settings, plugins,cams, swap files; the whole shebang are still there.
At least I'm saving money on my next haircut; i'll have no hair left to cut when this is finished :07:
Thanks
thirsty

Thirsty
10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
New day, new usb stick but same old story. Formatted new usb with FAT32 3 times, reflashed with latest Viv build but still stuck with BH log and still booting.
After a few minutes reflash with original BH latest build and everything back including settings plugins etc.

Will follow Donki's advice and disconnect the HD and see what happens then.
Will post the results at the weekend.
Thanks again to everyone for your help, great community.
Thirsty

sonic1
10-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Somehow your box is just flashing a backup and not your new image, that is the only possibility.

If it still happens after you disconnect your HDD then I am out of ideas.

As I am sure you can guess I have flashed my box's 100's of times and not just BH images and I have never had this problem.

CokeAddict
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
New day, new usb stick but same old story. Formatted new usb with FAT32 3 times, reflashed with latest Viv build but still stuck with BH log and still booting.
After a few minutes reflash with original BH latest build and everything back including settings plugins etc.

Will follow Donki's advice and disconnect the HD and see what happens then.
Will post the results at the weekend.
Thanks again to everyone for your help, great community.
Thirsty

Sorry but...

If you have deleted all backups from the hdd, and you have no other usb sticks connected to the box when you flash it.

Then it is impossible for it to have BH logo, when you have flashed a ViX image.

You either have a usb stick connected still, or there is another backup on the hdd you haven't removed.

To save removing the hdd, just initialise it, this will format it and remove all trace of any files.

Thirsty
10-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi All, problem solved. Visited "another place" and Mito provided the following solution.

If you have a folder named "vuplus" in any device connected to your Solo2, delete it before installing the new image.

Had the following file on my HD under media/hdd/vuplus/solo2 I renamed the file and then simply reflashed with VIX and everything ok.

Thanks to everyone again for their help.

thirsty

echelon
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
so the other alternative would have been to do as everybody had suggested and disconnect the hdd which would have ensured that no usb or sata devices would have been connected except for the usb stick being used to flash it

but a reasonable solution is clearly to rename that folder on the hdd before flashing with the stick, and is a lot easier than taking the lid off and disconnecting the sata cable prior to flashing, and then replacing the sata hdd cable and lid afterwards

so a good idea by mito

sonic1
10-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi All, problem solved. Visited "another place" and Mito provided the following solution.

If you have a folder named "vuplus" in any device connected to your Solo2, delete it before installing the new image.

Had the following file on my HD under media/hdd/vuplus/solo2 I renamed the file and then simply reflashed with VIX and everything ok.

Thanks to everyone again for their help.

thirsty
That's the name of the backup we told you to remove :D

You would have had the same with the Duo

Just glad you are sorted though.

echelon
10-01-2013, 05:40 PM
That's the name of the backup we told you to remove :D

You would have had the same with the Duo

Just glad you are sorted though.

lol , post #20 by cokeaddict said it all

the one thing I have learned from this is that I could get the exact same problem on my duo if I change flash images, for the same reasons

he also repeated himself here too

Sorry but...

If you have deleted all backups from the hdd, and you have no other usb sticks connected to the box when you flash it.

Then it is impossible for it to have BH logo, when you have flashed a ViX image.

You either have a usb stick connected still, or there is another backup on the hdd you haven't removed.

To save removing the hdd, just initialise it, this will format it and remove all trace of any files.

sonic1
10-01-2013, 05:42 PM
One question, the files in that folder were they for the solo2 or for your old Duo ?
If they were for the Duo you are lucky not to have a brick on your hands.

CokeAddict
10-01-2013, 05:46 PM
At least it's sorted now :)

Thirsty
10-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi All, had followed the advice as I understood it, and removed files from the folder titled "Backup" . I didnt realise that the "vuplus" file was the specific file meant in the advice given.
The Vuoplus subfile solo2 file contained the following files:
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.bin

Make haste slowly

Thanks again
Thirsty

ManikM
10-01-2013, 09:33 PM

that cant be right? what a hassle

ManikM
10-01-2013, 09:37 PM

edit: i carried on reading and clearly that isnt the case

echelon
10-01-2013, 09:38 PM

read post #29

moonbug
10-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Could have had it all done 24 hours earlier ............not such a great hassle in the grand scheme of things ;)