PDA

View Full Version : Does Protek MK-1 support timeshifting?

mikeemmessen
13-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi all

I've read about Protek receivers with 'gifts' using the darkforce server, auto-updating software and channels. It all seems too good to be true, but I'd really like to find out. Unfortunately, Protek appears to have stopped producing its only receiver with twin capabilities: the MK-1. Still I am very curious about that machine, and about the developments in software and patches. I am especially curious if this machine is really as user friendly as I read, or do I have to do a lot of tweaking myself? Also I am curious if the Protek MK1 actually supports timeshifting? Last, I wonder how big a disadvantage it is for owners of the MK-1 that Protek has stopped producing this machine?

I really hope to receive answers from experienced Protek MK-1 users. On top, if you are convinced some other twin receiver outperforms the Protek MK-1, please let me know. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for your effort and time!

Kind regards, Mike

Aldo
13-01-2013, 10:54 PM
There is NO support for the Protek MK1 Receiver on this forum or the forum whose server it connected to, please use google to search for further info ref the Protek forum

mikeemmessen
13-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Sorry, I had no idea.

xanadu
15-01-2013, 09:10 AM
MK-1 is still widely available, and does support time shifting.

Depending on what channel you want to time shift you may find this function unreliable due to channels freezing.

mikeemmessen
15-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Xanadu for your reply!

Still I wonder if the Protek MK-1 is really as user friendly as other twin sat pvrs? Are software, patches and channel lists easy to install / update / edit? And how big a disadvantage it is for owners of the MK-1 that Protek has stopped producing this machine? On top, if you are convinced some other twin sat PVR outperforms the Protek MK-1, please let me know. I am really new to all this and I'm hoping to find myself the best machine possible. Thnx!

echelon
15-01-2013, 10:49 AM
buy any VU from the sponsors goldwafers, that is the best machine and best option, a duo or solo2 being your best options at the moment

there are too many boxes with iffy support where it dries up or doesnt perform as it should, or both so I decided never to buy another one of those and so I bought a vu duo and dont think I will ever regret doing so either

the satellite box graveyard is littered with boxes that promised a lot and delivered little (or were cheap and no support)

xanadu
16-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks Xanadu for your reply!

Still I wonder if the Protek MK-1 is really as user friendly as other twin sat pvrs? Are software, patches and channel lists easy to install / update / edit? And how big a disadvantage it is for owners of the MK-1 that Protek has stopped producing this machine? On top, if you are convinced some other twin sat PVR outperforms the Protek MK-1, please let me know. I am really new to all this and I'm hoping to find myself the best machine possible. Thnx!

Channel lists are similar to Dreambox as use the same editors.

Patches are automatic, and just involve a reboot when they are updated.

If you already have a C-Line or whatever CS you may decide to use then plenty of better receivers out there, and probably any genuine Dreambox or Vu receiver would be the pick of the bunch.

The Protek is for lazy people, or those people that not too worried about picture freezing often, so if you want a stable picture you need to look elsewhere.

None of the Protek boxes are stable, so the MK-1 is not the exception, and the latest Protek 9770 is known to have power supply problems.