PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo2 newbie question

ginjaninja
21-01-2013, 10:50 PM
hi guys i am a total newbie when it comes to the world of twin tuners, i have had a dreambox dm800 for the past few years so i am pretty up to speed when it comes to enigma 2/ linux systems.

problem i am having so far is

1. box has 2 inputs and no loop thru, which i believe i can get around, problem is i only have one lnb one dish coming from the motor.

2. i had tried to fudge my way through it, so whilst i had something recording earlier i pressed the channel + button to select another channel and all appeared to be available, which was good, however when i tried to select another channel there were limited channels available and the more i done it the less channels are available. what i want to know is, can i exit this so i can get all the channels available, i am currently still recording something so i know one tuner is busy.

3 also another small one i entered in PIP mode and could not find a way out of it without rebooting the box.

any suggestion would be much appreciated.

the ninja

Burnham
22-01-2013, 02:46 PM
If you only have one LNB feed you can't use the twin tuner facility in full (you can record multiple channels on a single transponder, but this gives very limited flexibility). You need to get a twin LNB to get the full functionalty from your new receiver.

When you are recording it ties up your single LNB input - that is why most of the other channels are greyed out and can not be selected.

satfoot
22-01-2013, 03:30 PM
@ginjajinja

To get out of PIP, first long press Blue Button and then press Blue Button again.

Until you get a Twin LNB, with Vu+ Solo2, you should be able to get PIP and Recordings from different Transponders even with 1 LNB as long as the Transponders have the same Polarization (H or V):-

The cable from the LNB goes to Tuner B

Configuration of Tuner A as loopthrough to Tuner B

Configuration of Tuner B

Configuration Mode = Simple
Mode = Positioner
Enter Co-Ordinates

As already mentioned a Twin LNB is always much better.

donki
22-01-2013, 03:30 PM
You can record one channel whilst watching another on a single Tuner ONLY if the two channels are on the same transponder. When you start the recording you will see which channels are available in he channel list. Most will be greyed out. Those that are not are the only ones you can still watch while recording.

You can get a second USB tuner module eg: "Sky Ultimate_USB DVB S2" for the DM800 or fork out for a new STB.

We are all different but to date I have never had any use for a second tuner whatsoever. Most programs are on so often that they can be recorded another time. I usually only record when I'm asleep anyway. :)

If I'm really desperate I just download what I want coz the ripping and xvidding is all done for me.

Even PiP is unattractive as you are still confined to a single satellite unless you start getting into complicated configurations.

ginjaninja
22-01-2013, 06:07 PM
thanks for all your replies guys, will be looking to purchase a cheap sky dish and set as a fixed dish on one input and one will be my motorized dish, will it make a difference which one goes to which input.

also all the dishes you get from flea bay are quad lnb's are these still ok if i am only using one output.

thanks for your replies much appreciated.

the ninja

echelon
22-01-2013, 06:12 PM
thanks for all your replies guys, will be looking to purchase a cheap sky dish and set as a fixed dish on one input and one will be my motorized dish, will it make a difference which one goes to which input.

also all the dishes you get from flea bay are quad lnb's are these still ok if i am only using one output.

thanks for your replies much appreciated.

the ninja

use a 4 way diseqc switch and have the motor on 1 and the sly dish on 3, leaving 2 and 4 spare (a bit like my spider except I have 30w on 4 too)

as for lnb,s, I would stick a quad on the sly dish as they are only £6 or so for a standard sly quad, and nearly as much for a single, and you can add more feeds too (I use an octo on mine, lol)

for a motorised dish I would use an inverto ultra black lnb, and mine is a twin output inverto ultra black, feeding 2 different diseqc switches for 2 different boxes

the basic rule is, you cannot have enough feeds, so buy lnb`s with that in mind

ginjaninja
22-01-2013, 07:12 PM
cheers Echelon, i think i will go for a quad feed on a fixed dish, got a bloke in to fit my motorized dish up on the chimney stack as i could not get 30w where i originally fitted it, and i do not like the thought of getting up there on a ladder.

cheers for the advice
the ninja

flickerrr
22-01-2013, 08:52 PM
use a 4 way diseqc switch and have the motor on 1 and the sly dish on 3, leaving 2 and 4 spare (a bit like my spider except I have 30w on 4 too)

as for lnb,s, I would stick a quad on the sly dish as they are only £6 or so for a standard sly quad, and nearly as much for a single, and you can add more feeds too (I use an octo on mine, lol)

for a motorised dish I would use an inverto ultra black lnb, and mine is a twin output inverto ultra black, feeding 2 different diseqc switches for 2 different boxes

the basic rule is, you cannot have enough feeds, so buy lnb`s with that in mind

I have 4 way diseqc motor into input 1 (1 and fixed 28e on 4) I also have 2nd fixed 28e going into input 2. Does this mean i can record one while watching another channel ok or is there a better way to setup

cheers

echelon
22-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I have 4 way diseqc motor into input 1 (1 and fixed 28e on 4) I also have 2nd fixed 28e going into input 2. Does this mean i can record one while watching another channel ok or is there a better way to setup

cheers

no , not possible on a switch, as you only get one feed from the 4 available at any one time

if you want to watch one and record another, you really need 2 separate feeds so you can watch any channels and record any other channel, or record 2 or more

flickerrr
22-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Sorry maybe didnt explain myself right - i know only one feed available at a time from the switch but my other feed isnt coming from the switch but from fixed 28 - i have two cables coming from fixed dish - one straight into the vu solo2 and the other into the diseqc switch. I thought then could record off one while watching the other (even though it may only be on 28e)

ginjaninja
22-01-2013, 10:37 PM
well i have just bought a sky dish with quad LNB.

so here's what i am hoping to do

1. Connect current motor setup into input 1 and set to Usals
2. Connect the fixed dish (28.2e) to input 2 via 1 of the LNB ports (not sure what setting i select for tuner B, help if you can)
3. Connect a second port of the LNB to a DM800 upstairs set as fixed dish.

Question is after doing all this will i be able to record two channels at the same time on my VU+ solo2 (on the same satellite).

Thanks
The Ninja

echelon
22-01-2013, 11:02 PM
as far as I am aware you can record from each tuner separately, so should be able to use each tuner to record or watch a channel as required, same as on a sly plus HD box

in fact you should be able to record more than 2 channels if you pick the right ones on the same transponder etc

in other words each tuner can handle its own individual feed and each tuner can operate a motor or a dish or tune in a fixed dish single lnb

to get the switch to choose between input 1 , or 2 , or 3 , or 4 you set the committed to 1 for the motor and 2 or in my case 3 for the fixed sly dish

BUT I havent got a vu connected this way, its a spider with a single tuner operating a switch, a motor and 3 feeds

there should be no reason that a vu cannot be setup to do this task as it can manage diseqc switching and motorised dishes too

ginjaninja
23-01-2013, 12:02 AM
as far as I am aware you can record from each tuner separately, so should be able to use each tuner to record or watch a channel as required, same as on a sly plus HD box

in fact you should be able to record more than 2 channels if you pick the right ones on the same transponder etc

in other words each tuner can handle its own individual feed and each tuner can operate a motor or a dish or tune in a fixed dish single lnb

to get the switch to choose between input 1 , or 2 , or 3 , or 4 you set the committed to 1 for the motor and 2 or in my case 3 for the fixed sly dish

BUT I havent got a vu connected this way, its a spider with a single tuner operating a switch, a motor and 3 feeds

there should be no reason that a vu cannot be setup to do this task as it can manage diseqc switching and motorised dishes too

Cheers echelon, really helpful information. New dish due in a few days sobwill feedback my results.