PDA

View Full Version : Intalling Maxiboot instaler on S4000 problem

mackowiakp
12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I want to install on S4000 Enigma2 OCTAGON PKT E2 - Nebula V3 - 918-1028 on 2 GB USB memory connected to rear USB port. I run Maxiboot Installer 1.5, it connects to my Icecrypt but only internal HDD is listed in Maxiboot installet GUI (as /dev/sda). The external USB memory is not listed (as /dev/sdb for example). I want to install E2 on such external USB memory but it is not listed as potential install device.
Memory USB module is formatted as FAT32 and I can see that memory both from telnet console (using df command) and from original Icecrypt "stock" software in setup menu.
So, what the problem is? How can I install E2 on unlisted in AAF GUI device. Any help please!

Edit

When I try to copy something to such USB mem stich, I got such error:

/STORAGE/USB2 # cp /etc/hosts .
cp: write error: Input/output error

What the problem is?

echelon
12-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I may be totally wrong here but as E2 is linux I would have thought the usb stick should be formatted in ext2 ?

paulipm
13-02-2013, 04:58 PM
have you tried the front usb port,try a different pendrive,you format the pen drive using maxiboot installer

mackowiakp
13-02-2013, 07:48 PM
So I install new bootloader via plugin method. Now I have possibility to change S4000hd boot source. One problem less.
Now I want to instal E2 image over network, as described my ManikM. So I install AAT Maxiboot Installer ver 1.5, set IP address and click to "Connect".
Connection was established and I can see internal storages as /dev/sda (internal HDD) and /dev/sdb (rear USB memory stick - 1 Gb, formatted as FAT32). Then I done partitioning of /dev/sdb into 4 partitions and than reboot S4000. After reboot the connection of Maxiboot Installer was established. But in lest AAF GUI panel the internal storage's where still available but after clicking on /dev/sdb no partition was listed on right panel.
So, I can not install any E2 image. I try 3 different USB sticks.
Any help, what I an doing wrong? Or how can I install E2 image on USB stick out-of-S4000 using my Linux based PC? Is it possible?

fatboy7
14-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi.

I always have the stick in the back.

When you see both your drives in AAF (sda and sdb), right click on sdb and select partitioning, then only select 2 partitions and don't change or alter anything else (I only run one partition, with no issue).

When its finished formatting etc, I use the refresh button until it appears on the right panel , if it doesn't show, try the whole thing again. (have the auto-mount clicked).

When you can see it on the right panel, right click and mount, then install image and your away.

If all this fails use EaseUS (free), to format the sick to EXT2 within a windows environment, then put in box and you should now see it on the right straight away, then right click, install image and your away.

Sticks are also important, Kingston G2 tend to be recommended, I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 8gb (fast), with no issue.

Hope it helps...

PS . Yes, if you have a linux PC, just extract the TAR.GZ directly to the EXT2 formatted stick. Command line is often better.

mackowiakp
14-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Hmmm. I still try to use AAF Installer and still nothing appears on right panel :-(
So I formatted USB mem stick on my Linux PC as EXT2 (whole stick). And still it is shown as /dev/sdb but no partition shown on right panel. And HDD listed as /dev/sda has no partition shown in right panel. But of course I can record programs on HDD and (vi telnet) to create file on USB connected stick.
So I extract tar.gz directly to such formatted USB memory on ny Linux PC. I try to boot S4000 from such memory. TBTInstaller allows me to cycle (via pilot) thru the possible surces of booting ie Flash, USB1 P1 to P4, USB 2 p1 to P4 (potential partitions on USB connected device. No effect. It after several try`s to boot from selected boot source, it returns automatically to boot from internal flash. No idea what to do next... Any help?

fatboy7
15-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Just out of interest, what windows version are you running and try running it as 'administrator'.

Dont think this is the answer, but you never know.

Do you have the facility to take a screen video or screen shots of your process, might help with a direction to follow.

mackowiakp
17-02-2013, 11:26 PM
I run AAF as administrator. I try both in WIN XP and WIN7. As You can see, the disks can be seen by AAF but no partitions are discover.
The screenshot is available on address: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79280403/AAF.JPG.
Any idea?

fatboy7
18-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Just looked at the picture, just an observation but are you booting the box into stock firmware before running AAF. If so (I can see its connected) try leaving the passwords blank for FTP and Telnet as I've not seen that password before.

Next, the IP address 192.168.0.4 must be the s4000, but your gateway is 192.168.0.41, this is normally your routers IP address, this may be the case just checking as most people tend to leave them as 192.168.0.1, unless you are using a cross over network cable directly to the box.

Have a check in the stock firmware network settings, just to make sure everything is set as it should be.

I've attached a picture of mine, but ignore the HDMU password as did log in while watching the box with the image running.

mackowiakp
19-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes, i boot S4000 from stock FW. When I leaving the passwords blank, AAF does want to connect at all.
The screenshot I pass to You was taken when S4000 was connected directly to my laptop using cross cable. But I try in "ordinary" environment and in such case the gateway IP is set to 192.168.0.1.
Network settings are set properly, because S4000 work good in my home network, including SAMBA, ftp, telnet etc. For example I telnet from my Linux PC to S4000 and run command from S4000: ping ntp.icm.edu.pl (very popular NTP server in my country). So look to the session listing:

[maciek@piotr ~]$ telnet pvr
Trying 192.168.0.4...
Connected to pvr.
Escape character is '^]'.

hmp7109 login: root
Password:
================================= =====================
ICECRYPT S4000 HD PVR
z podmontowanym /etc do katalogu .NIE_KASOWAC na HDD
================================= =====================

~ # ping ntp.icm.edu.pl
PING ntp.icm.edu.pl (212.87.14.44): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.87.14.44: seq=0 ttl=58 time=31.291 ms
64 bytes from 212.87.14.44: seq=1 ttl=58 time=30.325 ms
64 bytes from 212.87.14.44: seq=2 ttl=58 time=30.349 ms

--- ntp.icm.edu.pl ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 30.325/30.655/31.291 ms
~ #

But still I can not see any partition both on HDD and USB. Because of it I create on my 1 GB Kingston memory stick 2 partition manually (on my Linux PX). First - 100MB FAT32 (/dev/sdb1) and second - rest of mem stick capacity as EXT3 (/dev/sdb2). But AAF still does not see any partitions on USB.

fatboy7
19-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Using your Linux PC can you telnet into the box and see and explore both the sda and sdb if so looks like its a AAF issue (try uninstalling and reinstalling).

Or.

It looks like you have a good command of Linux, if you can see both drives ok on your PC, you could partition / mount / and extract the image from your PC. I've not tried this, but this is what AAF is a GUI for really.

Try :
tar -zxvf image_name.tar.gz -C /sdb

or the Archive Manager within Linux will give you a GUI to do the same thing.

mackowiakp
19-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Yep. WORKS! THX

fatboy7
20-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Hey, no problem. Have fun with E2.