PDA

View Full Version : Help needed re correcting motorised dish

rankine
13-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi all,
I have had a motorised dish for a number of years, but now need help. I had a local installer to re-set my dish in the last few weeks. He has manged to completely mess up the alignment, has set the dish to the wrong place. I have had tremendous help via MSM from passete, but he can only do so much from so far away.
I am on The Isle of Skye off the west coast of Scotland. Is there any member within travelling distance to get me out of this problem please?
Thanks

rankine

Dark Cloud
13-02-2013, 08:38 PM
If your Professional installer messed up the alignment he is not very good.
You are close enough to get true south aligned up on the sat at 5west, so it is very easy.
I strongly recommend getting a Sat Meter at around £50 and do it yourself.
Echelon, on this Forum has tutorials to read.
If I can do it, ANYONE can.
Go on, give it a go.

echelon
13-02-2013, 08:49 PM
plenty on dish alignment in the dish forum here

as mentioned above , use 5w as your zero marker on your motor, and you are almost there when you get some of the 5 west fta channels

passete
13-02-2013, 10:06 PM
So, from his Location, is best to use 5W as 0 to set the dish ?

I allways used Thor (0.8W) to set my motor, but i guess that it depends on the location !

echelon
13-02-2013, 10:50 PM
So, from his Location, is best to use 5W as 0 to set the dish ?

I allways used Thor (0.8W) to set my motor, but i guess that it depends on the location !

correct, thor would be a pretty poor choice if he was in bulgaria at 39 east, or some other one miles away from thor

the correct choice is the nearest one due south of your position, so somebody at 5 west would use 5 west as that would read at around zero on the motor pointer, and zero on a motor always points due south

passete
13-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Good to know mate !
Maybe this was the cause !

Let's hope so.

satwyn
14-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Good to know mate !
Maybe this was the cause !

Let's hope so.i also use 5w as my sat for dish setup or 4w depending on dish size used here in north wales

satwyn
14-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi all,
I have had a motorised dish for a number of years, but now need help. I had a local installer to re-set my dish in the last few weeks. He has manged to completely mess up the alignment, has set the dish to the wrong place. I have had tremendous help via MSM from passete, but he can only do so much from so far away.
I am on The Isle of Skye off the west coast of Scotland. Is there any member within travelling distance to get me out of this problem please?
Thanks

rankinewhat type of dish motor are you using i'm sure with some help you can do the setup yourself i assume most of the work is done you will only need to align the dish on the arc

voyager1972
14-02-2013, 12:33 PM
do you have your correct lat and long setting entered in the box??

jamsb
14-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Have had similar troubles which i sorted out this morning.

The recent gales moved my ground mounted motor system.

Spent time last night reading this sticky https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?58680-install-FAQ-thread

I have to say if you follow the thread / sticky you will sort out your problems yourself.

If i can do it im sure you can also. regards. lecky.

mdt
14-02-2013, 02:21 PM
you can use any satellite you want if using usals to align your dish although 1w or 5 west are the usual choices in the uk... problem with 5w if using a largish dish is its so powerfull that you can be pulling in all the channels(apart from 11.064h) and your dish can still be out a fair amount. personally id get the installer back and tell him to do his job properly or your going to report him to trading standards,regards mdt

satwyn
14-02-2013, 03:02 PM
you can use any satellite you want if using usals to align your dish although 1w or 5 west are the usual choices in the uk... problem with 5w if using a largish dish is its so powerfull that you can be pulling in all the channels(apart from 11.064h) and your dish can still be out a fair amount. personally id get the installer back and tell him to do his job properly or your going to report him to trading standards,regards mdtallways used 5w here at times without a sat meter with no problems but i use 4w when my 1.8m prime focus is used

rankine
14-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone, have my box fixed with all the sats back on. All I have to do is re-align the dish. I will buy a meter and have a go myself soon

gbmitie
14-02-2013, 08:12 PM
you dont need a meter, just say make of motor, name of receiver, make of lnb, size and make of dish, the sats you want to get. are you using USALS.

then when we know all that we can tell you how to set it all up, meter is a waste of money and time. It is so easy you will be amazed.

and are you asking for a refund.

by the way, where you are located you would benefit from a black ultra lnb, much better buy than a meter.

gbmitie

rankine
18-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I am just about to go and buy a very cheap meter this morning, I have an ultra Black LNB. I am not at home this week, so will have a go at doing the job myself towards this weekend, thasnks all, great info guys

echelon
18-02-2013, 12:16 PM
cheap meters are unnecessary and a waste of time

I use a sat beeper to tell me when I am pointed at a satellite, and have a box and tv hooked up to determine which one I am on, and use the sat box to peak the signal

so as long as your box has an up to date channel list in it, and has signal and quality bars you can check, thats all that is needed

apart from the cheap sat beeper I use to find a satellite, I have never used a meter, and would only consider using a rover or lacuna or something similar if I was doing it professionally

there should be less emphasis on using cheap meters and more on doing the job correctly, and a satellite box is usually good enough to do this

Gerry55
18-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi rankine
Google Dreambox Signal Meter, then use a Netbook/laptop to adjust your dish

rankine
21-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi all, sorry I didnt get back to you, finally called in an engineer who knew what he was doing, wasnt too expensive for what I needed,so system back working a couple of weeks ago, thanks for all your advice