PDA

View Full Version : Picture quality icecrypt S3500

vasjox
22-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Hi all. Is it just me and my 42" LG LED TV with really bad picture quality??? When switch from freeview channel for example BBC ONE HD to receiver on same channel there is big difference. Have checked all A/V settings... 1080p is even worse than 1080i! Bought new HDMI cable worth £24 still no joy! Wonder if STC 6000 or S3700 are any better or they just same poor pic??? Can someone advice any other receiver with same functionality snd simplicity but with decent picture quality??? Other downside i have one receiver and use it for 2 tv's. One in living room using HDMI and other in kitchen using RCA cable. One in the kitchen wont work unless i change pic resolution down to 576i. Never had to do that on my spiderbox before.... Is this same on stc6000 and s3700??? If anyone has these boxes can you please advice on them two issues as i've sold my spiders in rush and noticed faults late. Want to buy decent receiver so it suits all my needs. Many thanks and hope to heare any advices.

blakmumba
22-03-2013, 01:53 PM
A far shot but have you checked whether the av settings are on pal or ntsc? Try switching so see if any difference and also remove the rca cable to eliminate that causing the problem. The pic qual on freeview (built into my sammy) also looks much better than the ice. I remember a previous thread someone else mentioning the same problem.

Give them a shot to see if it makes a change.

DARTFORD
23-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Hi, firstly the box can not display two resolutions at the same time, so viewing by non HDMI would have to be 576i, I have the same issue on my 3600, when using it on a sling box, but I can set it to auto. Now the picture quality is interesting as the HD picture quality on HDMI is better than my sky receiver on BBC HD Channel, on 1080p. PS this is on a 32" oldish LG

blakmumba
24-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Now the picture quality is interesting as the HD picture quality on HDMI is better than my sky receiver on BBC HD Channel, on 1080p. PS this is on a 32" oldish LG

It may be better than the sky receiver (haven't checked) but it's definitely not better than the freeview built into tele (55" sammy & 46" ambilight).

vasjox
26-03-2013, 05:57 PM
A far shot but have you checked whether the av settings are on pal or ntsc? Try switching so see if any difference and also remove the rca cable to eliminate that causing the problem. The pic qual on freeview (built into my sammy) also looks much better than the ice. I remember a previous thread someone else mentioning the same problem.

Give them a shot to see if it makes a change.
Have tryed to change all settings and pull rca cable out. Picture was brilliant on my spider but because all these extras in icecrypt i got rid of them... Just ordered new dual boot enigma 2 receiver to suite all my needs. Same price as icecrypt btw but with broadcom chipset.

blakmumba
26-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Just ordered new dual boot enigma 2 receiver to suite all my needs. Same price as icecrypt btw but with broadcom chipset.
Care to share which receiver you bought;)

fatboy7
27-03-2013, 12:06 AM
If its balls out picture quality, I would go with an box that has the Sti chipset like the offerings from Golden Media / Amiko to name a few. But even they will have issue with not being able to display two resolutions from different box outputs (HDMI, RCA, Scart etc).

blakmumba
27-03-2013, 01:28 AM
If its balls out picture quality, I would go with an box that has the Sti chipset
I personally haven't used them particular receivers but both the ice's 4000/6000 have an sti chipset and to be honest I would avoid em. My dream and ggg both have excellent picture quality especially with standard transmission broadcasts and both don't have an sti chipset (ice's are just terrible with S.D.T.V) . However the same cannot be said for my openbox which just has a 'meh' quality.

geoffh
27-03-2013, 10:39 AM
I know the Ice receivers are getting a bad press at the moment (mainly around software issues) but I have to speak as I find.
I have owned an st 6000 for close on 2 years now. I chose this receiver because of its versatility and picture quality. The receiver is configured with one T2 and one sat tuner.
True there have been some Fw issues but for me nothing on the scale that has been reported, the receiver is stable with an excellent PQ from both sources. My only remaining grip is the lack of programme synopsis (I can live with that) and not being able to record HD channells via the T2 tuner which can and needs to be fixed.
The TV I use is a 32" Panasonic LCD and when I use the the internal panny freeview tuner the pictures come nowhere near the quality of the Ice.

blakmumba
27-03-2013, 12:06 PM
@geoffh, this is where we differ. I don't know about yr panny's internal freeview but the ice comes no where near as good as the internal freeview of my sammy and ambilight. This isn't saying the ice is crap, I'm merely pointing out what I see. I've connected the ice side by side with the dream and the dream wins hands down on both s.d.t.v and hdmi. The ggg wins only on s.d.t.v and comes in at a very close 2nd place to ice with hdmi pic qual (i mean very close). The openbox fails lol.

Regarding the bad press; They deserve everybit and more. The software is dated and bad, each firmware release has additional bugs & the firmware has a wait period of 2 maybe 3 months.

How many times have we all heard of the saying 'you get what you pay for'. Now if they were selling the ice's (4000/6000) at a reasonable price then the bad press is just silly BUT they have placed the ice at the price range of a vu+ or a dream which both deliver constantly and consistently whereas the ice fails each and everytime. So I hope they continue to get ALL the bad press and more as hopefully this will hurt sales and maybe get them lazy programmers to wake up and start delivering what me & many others have been waiting for....'a decent stable firmware'!.

geoffh
27-03-2013, 12:17 PM
blakmumba, fair comment,is your Ice a 6000? My telly is 4 years old so maybe things have improved tellwise in that area.

blakmumba
27-03-2013, 02:15 PM
blakmumba, fair comment,is your Ice a 6000? My telly is 4 years old so maybe things have improved tellwise in that area.

I'm ashamed to say I own both 4000 & 6000. :beatdeadhorse5:
:iagree:

vasjox
28-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Care to share which receiver you bought;)

Sorry for late reply. I've ordered new optibox evo m7 100% genuine. It has dual boot - enigma 2 and genuine sw cant remember name... Broadcom 400mhz processor Bla bla bla. Very similar specs as vu+ but it will cost me £120. Will pick it up when on holiday after 2 weeks. Will let you guys know what it's like in bout 4 weeks when back.
Regarding soft. This is 100% best box for software updates if you know where to look for it! Dont forget, there's around 20 clones to this receiver and "icecrypt" is defineatley the worst in support! If you go to octagon forum you'll be amazed how great support is!!! Only trouble it's in german, but if you know what to look for yo'll easy find what you need! Just have look on icecrypt site, firmware dated in january only get on site sometime in february.... Firmware 2.11.39 is out since end of january on other boxes other than icecrypt, and i havent seen any bugs on thisone! Everything works great! Youtube too! It's just picture what let this box down other than that its great box!

vasjox
28-03-2013, 11:13 PM
P.s Picture in bedroom on my 32"LCD is fine too but on my 42" LED it's not as good as it should be! And i was goin to get 47" later this year...

rake
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
My 3500 has better PQ than the Rx in the sammy ue46d7000.

I use it via an av Rx onkyo and it blows the sammy to bits.

Firmware is ****e.

Upgrading to solo2 soon