PDA

View Full Version : Help to decide what HD receiver to buy

messi_tnt
29-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi there,

I am about to buy a new HD receiver, and I have never had one of these before. What I have in mind when comparing products and specifications is to look for processor, RAMs, and what software it use. Something like what you do when you are about to buy a new desktop. But I did not get that much of information like for example: What is a 32 bit superscalar RISC cpu.

So what I want to aske first : What a person should look for when choosing HD receiver?

Appreciate the help and please be patient because I am really new to this.

Regards

tr8.
29-03-2013, 05:38 PM
It's very simple the VU+ solo2 is way ahead of the rest on spec and at a good price.
If you can Handel a Linux based receiver

echelon
29-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi there,

But I did not get that much of information like for example: What is a 32 bit superscalar RISC cpu.

Regards

no idea and not something I would even bother to look at

what I look for are genuine boxes, good track record, good software and good support, well liked and hopefully will give good long term use

I hope I never have to bother to find out what that chip is or does

my sony tv will have chips and other stuff inside it, dont care as long as it does what I want it to do

I agree with tr8 that a vu solo 2 is currently the best machine on the market and is what I would buy at this moment in time

kojidon
29-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi mate if you are on a budget go for skybox f3/f4/x5 cheap at only 50 quid delivered does the job.

Plessy
29-03-2013, 09:02 PM
What is a 32 bit superscalar RISC cpu. ?

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superscalar

Linux RX unit's should be first on your list.
As for the Manufacture.?
Then it is down preference.
(and or support level)
I've always liked tm and still use. Simple/Ease of Use.

But I also like the Vu+ for its capabilities and picture quality calibration feature along with network integration....

1 it is Not as easy to set up initially. (But only done once or twice)
2 future platforms and further compatibility integration are only just beggining.....
3 ... --- ...

Plessy

simon 2003
29-03-2013, 09:13 PM
im totally blinkered but the solo2 is a fantastic receiver

messi_tnt
29-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I have just read all of your answers and first of all thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Since you all recommended vu+ I checked there site and then checked the local market and none of the big names here in my country has it.
What a shame, it looks like a very good device with good specifications, even if I decide to buy it online+ shipping+ customes+ tax = a really high price.
I checked also skybox and did not find it here.

So I searched for Linux based receivers and I have found a model with the name Strong srt4930l and another unknown brand where they claim that it is a clone of a receiver manufactured by a korean company with the name Fortis and they said that it is the best because it uses sti chipset as a processor. And finally I found a cheap clone of dreambox.

Anyone knows about these brands??

Thanks again for your time and regards.

echelon
29-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I have just read all of your answers and first of all thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Since you all recommended vu+ I checked there site and then checked the local market and none of the big names here in my country has it.

What a shame, it looks like a very good device with good specifications, even if I decide to buy it online+ shipping+ customes+ tax = a really high price.

I checked also skybox and did not find it here.

So I searched for Linux based receivers and I have found a model with the name Strong srt4930l and another unknown brand where they claim that it is a clone of a receiver manufactured by a korean company with the name Fortis and they said that it is the best because it uses sti chipset as a processor. And finally I found a cheap clone of dreambox.

Anyone knows about these brands??

Thanks again for your time and regards.

I suppose its a shame that you never told us where "in my country" and "here" actually is !!

had you done so in the opening post it may have given you different answers than you have had already, as the answers given tend to be for northern europe and particulary the UNITED KINGDOM, seeing as we are a mainly uk based sat forum but also tend to serve northern europe too with many eu members

I suppose you can only go with what is available and it sounds like the boxes are similar to the oktagon/icecrypt-and similar names boxes or like the alien amiko sti boxes, and cheap dreambox clones too (I am not sure I would want any of those at all)

skomedal
29-03-2013, 10:54 PM
I suppose its a shame that you never told us where "in my country" and "here" actually is !!

That is why the pane on the left under username " my setup /location " ( if members used it ) would be helpfull as per the older days of this forum!

Regards

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?154952-location-option&highlight=

Plessy
30-03-2013, 12:08 AM
I suppose its a shame that you never told us where "in my country" and "here" actually is!

? tnx ech, which Country R We Talking about ?

echelon
30-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I suppose its a shame that you never told us where "in my country" and "here" actually is!

? tnx ech, which Country R We Talking about ?

N.F.I. m8 !! NFI

LOL