PDA

View Full Version : Icecrypt S3500 series record

DDHBUSH
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi. I am having a couple of problem with my Icecrypt S3500 and wonder if anyone could help? To avoid confusion I will start a second post for the other problem.

When I set series record it does not work. i.e. if I ask it to record the series of casulty it will only record the next one. If I record a daily program like East Enders it will record them all for about a week then no more, Lastly if I record F1 then it only records the next one if it is in the EPG.

I could set it for weekly/daily but the time of the example above changes every week.

I am recording to a hard drive with loads of space so that should not be the problem.

The Manual is silent on series record so any help would be appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards

Dennis

echelon
02-05-2013, 10:56 AM
moved to the correct forum (Icecrypt discussions forum) - from the firmware section

I have never known any box to do series record like a sly plus box does, so as the epg is where the info comes from I tend to think it can only do it twice (now and next), but hey, thats just my opinion

my missus uses a sony dvd/hdd pvr recorder to record the programme from bbc1 freeview through our terrestrial aerial on series record and it works fine using the freeview epg

the fact it can do a daily series record for 7 days just indicates to me that its a limitation of the 7 day epg and clearly renewing the epg doesnt allow the series record timer to carry forward

blakmumba
02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
For me; using the s4000, series record actually works pretty good as I have bob the builder on series record for my nephew. Maybe once or twice I've had a prob but overall does work (box is still pants though). How I get it to work is as following... Choose network as storage device, background epg, and once a week switch off ice from mains for approx an hour or so to delete the epg info and do the above again.

DDHBUSH
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi. Blackmamba and thanks for your reply. I will try it. We do have an HP 250gb Freeview box which does record the series but that has limited space left and the wife will not let me delete most of the information and I have not found a way of transferring the recorded stuff so brought the S3500 about six months ago which I tend to use for films and other long programs but as we were going away for 2 weeks I thought I would set the S3500 to record a couple series that she likes. It of course failed and I lost more brownie points.

Echelon. Thanks for transfering my posts to the correct forum. I did not realise I was in the wrong section as I had spent a lot of time trying to find the answers and must have strayed into the wrong section. I will make sure I am in the right section next time.

echelon
02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
you will normally find that a pvr is a closed loop box, meaning you cannot get recordings from it, other than by connecting a scart up to a pc using something like an easycap or dazzle, or to a dvd recorder like me and recording to it (in my case my dvd recorder is a sony made by pioneer and has a hdd built in, so you record to the internal hdd, remove unwanted adverts and trailers etc and then can burn to disk if required using fastdub (dubbing at high speed)

the problem with transferring recordings this way is that its done in real time , so a 95 minute movie takes 95 minutes to transfer (this is no different then when we used to use a vcr to do the same thing)

because I use a hdd/dvd pvr recorder I can dub to rewritable dvd disks (or standard dvdr disks)

I find that the hdd fitted inside most boxes is far too small so I have fitted a 2Tb sata hdd into my amstrad sly plus HD box and 500 gig sata hdd into my sony dvd/hdd recorders (these sony recorders can take up to 1Tb in size)

eventually you will fill up any hdd so its important to have a strategy that deals with these issues and so involves burning to disk, or downloading as divx or mp4 or similar and storing on a NAS. the important point here being that you have a strategy for emptying the pvr hdd that you own, as anybody and his dog can fill them up in no time at all !

also, you can normally get those popular programmes on bbc i player (ondemand or catchup tv)

Dreamcatcher
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Re your first paragraph Ech, I have a Panasonic machine which does exactly that. Very useful.