PDA

View Full Version : Android APK file problem

chopper1
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
just bought my son a Sony Xperia tipo android smartphone. I am trying to download some apps/files, do i download it to my phone or desktop, then i get really lost as i cannot seem to extract it, do i need to have something on my phone to be able to extract the file, i do have winzip & winrar but dont have the option to unzip the APK file?, can someone please help
I read on another thread on the forum i may need install manager, can anyone tell me where/how i get this from?

zola25
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
You do not extract the apk file just put it in the route of the phones sd card and use a file manager to run it on the phone(you may need to allow unsigned apps to run in settings on the phone if you have problems)

chopper1
02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
thanks zola25 so i just copy & paste or drag the apk file for laptop to SD card on phone, not sure about where the file manager is, should it already be on his phone?
cheers.

sonic1
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
I use this site.

http://www.apkinstall.com/

You just need a bar code scanner app.

echelon
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
I just put the apk in the root or on an sdcard in the device
then use file manager or ESfileexplorer (a free app from google play store) to browse the device and select the apk to run it

if its zipped or rared when you download the app, unpack it first on your pc, then transfer the apk to the device

as you can see from this thread https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?158822-Copilot-9-3-0-173-No-root I did all this with copilot

dog-man
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
You can download the apps via your desktop and email them to your mobile and just tap on the file inside the email.
It will then install.

dog-man

davorp
08-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I upload all APK files to Dropbox and then install from there.

chopper1
19-06-2013, 01:14 PM
when i go to google play store selected ES file and click install it gives me the option to send to either the Sony phone or my tablet ( i want it on the phone), how do i get it to desktop to unpack the file?
many thanks.

echelon
19-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I am not even sure you can actually download the apk file as a separate file onto your pc

the standard method is to use the phone to directly access the google play store, search for the app and install directly onto the device, same as you would do with a tablet

rickt
19-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I dont understand why you want to unpack the apk file on a pc.An apk file is not like a rar/zip file , it's a file specifically for an Android system containing the installation and program files . It would be like trying to open a file specifically for a Apple mac on a pc . Download the file through the PC and transfer it to a memmory card for the phone .

Detlef
19-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I am not even sure you can actually download the apk file as a separate file onto your pc

the standard method is to use the phone to directly access the google play store, search for the app and install directly onto the device, same as you would do with a tablet

There is an addon for the Chrome browser that should let you download and save *.apk files (not tried it yet though).
You have to logon with your google account (the one that you need to create to make all the android stuff sync).

Detlef
19-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I dont understand why you want to unpack the apk file on a pc.An apk file is not like a rar/zip file , it's a file specifically for an Android system containing the installation and program files . It would be like trying to open a file specifically for a Apple mac on a pc . Download the file through the PC and transfer it to a memmory card for the phone .

The only real reason to download and unpack an .apk file on a pc is if you want to modify or customise it. *.apk files are compressed complete distributions.

If you want to read on, there is a wealth of info in the link below:

_www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/android-application-security-assessments-part-5-reverse-engineering-apk-file

Customise might be to remove tracking or adaware links :D

Detlef
20-06-2013, 12:41 AM
While on the subject of downloadable apps, I found this (archive) site:

_m.gomez666.store.aptoide.com

The downside is that you have to add a specific downloader (.exe) on your PC to access them. I ran the exe sandboxed, then did a scan of the resultant file (not totally useful as *.apk files are compressed) and the exe before transferring the app to my SIII.

The above site is great when a previously free app changes to a pay one. As an example, I had been using Krisor's free F1 Live Timing app on my old HTC so went to add it to my new phone only to find it has now gone pay. The aptoide site had the free 2012 version which still works perfectly well.

rickt
20-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Ah ,right . I wondered why anyone would want to unpack a .apk file . I never knew they could be modified.
Cheers Detlef ,that clears that up .

dishdad
27-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Customise might be to remove tracking or adaware links :D

Yep....spot on **