PDA

View Full Version : Homplugs-are they easy to set up?

chopper1
05-06-2013, 09:50 AM
finally decided to do away with the lead from router to spiderbox
got a great deal at Currys- ON NETWORKS - PL200-199UKS 200 Mbps Powerline Adapter Kit £19.99 online, i hope i have bought the correct homeplugs, are they easy to set up, do i just need to plug them in or is it more complicated than that?
help much appreciated!!

TJLOWE1
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Just had a look at them, they seem a good buy and looking at the info it's plug and play, ie plug one adaptor in near your router the cable from that goes into your router, the other adaptor plug anywhere on your electrical system then the cable from that just plugs into the unit you want to connect to the Internet.... Simples.

TJ

^^COMPASS^^
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
There described as plug & play

but a quick search found this video

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN9-2u6fZfU

dog-man
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I have several of various makes and it is just plug and play.

dog-man

welshpaddy
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
finally decided to do away with the lead from router to spiderbox
got a great deal at Currys- ON NETWORKS - PL200-199UKS 200 Mbps Powerline Adapter Kit £19.99 online, i hope i have bought the correct homeplugs, are they easy to set up, do i just need to plug them in or is it more complicated than that?
help much appreciated!! 500mbps would be better

Roadrunner
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Why would you need to use the plugs with hd6000? IT`s got wireless built in? I assume you have the 6000 since you posted in this section?
As for the homeplugs , make sure you use them plugged in directly to the sockets and not the extention leads to avoid drop outs in connection( which needs to be rock solid for spider to work correctly). I personally preffer to use the repeater for my other device that needs to be hard wired to the network, it might not be as fast but is a lot more reliable than the home plugs.
Roadrunner

chris-k
05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
i tried the homeplugs before,,,works ok,,,with small issues (but its up to the electrical wires in the house),,now using a cheap vonet wifi bridge from fle**** works great.

chopper1
05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
good point roadrunner1, maybe with the wireless built in the HD6000 i wont need the homeplugs for upstairs as i am using this as a 2nd receiver

donki
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
good point roadrunner1, maybe with the wireless built in the HD6000 i wont need the homeplugs for upstairs as i am using this as a 2nd receiver

Sorry, but homeplug just never delivered for me and I gave up after shelling out on 4 500mbps units that delivered no where near that. In the end I tried an old Zoom wireless router I had lying around and found to my joy that it would work in client mode and thus allow LAN and wireless devices working upstairs a connection to the main router downstairs. Worked great for surfing but was rubbish for watching movies and stuff from the NAS or STB down stairs. Ended up using a Belkin Wireless N box upstairs in client mode and restoring the boring old BT Infinity Hub downstairs and boy it's ****ing stupendous even for FULL HD content!

williamtell
05-06-2013, 08:07 PM
check my post under ethernet a few weeks ago:respect-047:

johnhenry
05-06-2013, 09:25 PM
1. Connection problem on Satelite receiver, worth a check
For the past six years i have used Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Networking Adapters ( Power Plugs ) to connect my Spiderbox to my Orange Livebox Router this saves having to run a long cable right across the room. About six months ago i started to experiance connection dropout problems, when it started i thought it was to do with the lastest software update ( thought it might have been a glitch in the programming of the software) so i just put up with it. The drop out problem was a real pain with me costantlly having to reconnect with the turning off and on of the network and I*s till it reconnected. However the dropout problem was quite simple to correct only wish i had checked this earlier around the time i was experiance the drppout problem one evening i was disconnecting my laptop from the spare electric socket near to my Orange Livebox and i noticed my Belkin Adaptor which has three led lights was flashing on the middle led, which i checked with the manual which stated that it was not connecting properly with the other adaptor on the other side of the room. Correcting the problem was so simple, after unpluging both adaptors i set them next to each other in a double electric socket and with the aid of a pointed tool ( paper clip would do ) i reset both adaptors back to their default factory setting by pushing the pointed object into the small hole in the adaptors put there for that purpose. Both adptors then showed two constant lit led's ( power on led light and connection led light the third led only lights up once you connect again to your router ) this i did and connection was made nearly instantly. Since doing this my channels have been rock solid, The problem came about because i had not checked these adaptors since i installed them a few years back so if you use power plugs and you are having dropout problems it might be worth checking. As ever it is nearly always such a simple problem which can be corrected so easily and remember always keep your manuals, if you do mislay check on internet most manuals are on PDFs for you to download.