PDA

View Full Version : please can someone explain ?

dorsetjonboy
19-08-2013, 12:43 PM
satpimping virgin!!!!

hi everyone, my name is jon! i have stumbled upon this great site while trying to research the icecrypt range. i have been looking at either the s3500 s3550 or the s3700, as i have been paying £80+ a month for bransons v.i.p range!*i have been looking at what channels can i get with the above boxes as i still have the sky dish on my house too. Is it as simple as downloading the updated channel lists on here that i have seen and following the instructions etc or do i have to mod/chip the icecrypt box somehow first? also will i just get the standard freesat channels or do you get a full list?im good at following instructions so if one of you experts could please find the time to help me out (also on which box i should get out of the above three) i will be very very greatful.look forward to receiving your instructions/guides/helpmany thanks*jon

echelon
19-08-2013, 12:59 PM
satpimping virgin!!!!

hi everyone, my name is jon! i have stumbled upon this great site while trying to research the icecrypt range. i have been looking at either the s3500 s3550 or the s3700, as i have been paying £80+ a month for bransons v.i.p range!*i have been looking at what channels can i get with the above boxes as i still have the sky dish on my house too. Is it as simple as downloading the updated channel lists on here that i have seen and following the instructions etc or do i have to mod/chip the icecrypt box somehow first? also will i just get the standard freesat channels or do you get a full list?im good at following instructions so if one of you experts could please find the time to help me out (also on which box i should get out of the above three) i will be very very greatful.look forward to receiving your instructions/guides/helpmany thanks*jon

if you plug any digital receiver into a sky dish (apart from the subscription boxes sky use) all you will get is free to air channels, known as freesat (check the freesat website for actual channels)

all the sky and bt and setanta channels are scrambled so you will pick them up but WILL NOT decode them

once a box is "patched" you still have the problem of making those channels "open up" , usually by cs using cccam or newcamd, which we dont talk about

if you motorise a bigger dish of say 90cm to 110cm then you can pick up channels from other satellites, but have the same problems as above , non-decoding of the dollar $ sign scrambled channels

so in essence, you could spend hundreds of pounds and only get the free channels

a spiderbox 6000 HD or the black panther may allow you to "see" scrambled channels from various satellites, but NOT from your sky dish which is pointed at the satellites at 28.2 east. those channels will still require you to "cs" using an ethernet connection from your router

so if you think its as easy as you expect, then think again !

I would carefully consider your options after more research (and look at other boxes too)

ManikM
19-08-2013, 01:03 PM
i would NOT recommend an ICECRYPT !!!!

dorsetjonboy
19-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Wow thanks for the quick honest reply as i know newbies usually get shrugged off!!

I was under the impression that i could upload firmware/software onto these boxes and somehow get past the scramble part! As i have seen loads of threads on here with updated channel listings and thought that would be the full set of channels i could get!

Im not thick and can do most techincal things tbh but this is completely new to me! I hate paying what i pay for tv and thought this was the way forward to get all the channels, i think a couple of friends of friends have been misleading in telling me to buy a icecrypt box and download some files onto usb, plug in, install and wayhaa i have a full list of premium channels!!!

What box is recommended then as i would like to be able to record 2-3 channels while watching another (missus crappy soaps!) and hd etc??

Thanksfor the help guys

echelon
19-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Wow thanks for the quick honest reply as i know newbies usually get shrugged off!!

I was under the impression that i could upload firmware/software onto these boxes and somehow get past the scramble part! As i have seen loads of threads on here with updated channel listings and thought that would be the full set of channels i could get!

Im not thick and can do most techincal things tbh but this is completely new to me! I hate paying what i pay for tv and thought this was the way forward to get all the channels, i think a couple of friends of friends have been misleading in telling me to buy a icecrypt box and download some files onto usb, plug in, install and wayhaa i have a full list of premium channels!!!

What box is recommended then as i would like to be able to record 2-3 channels while watching another (missus crappy soaps!) and hd etc??

Thanks for the help guys

in order to achieve what you are asking you need a vu duo 2 with internal sata hdd fitted (not cheap)

or a cheaper option is the vu solo 2 with internal sata laptop hdd fitted

the box would need 2 or more feeds from its sly dish + lnb as well , ideally one feed for each tuner , so as sly plus has 2 feeds to a twin tuner box , allowing you to watch one channel and record another, the same applies to any third party box like the solo 2 or duo 2, but in your case you need a quad lnb on the sly dish and 2 twin shotgun coaxial cables or 4 separate single satellite grade coaxial cables

so a quad lnb on 28 east sly dish allows up to 4 separate feeds to one or more boxes

the channel lists do allow you to put them in and to "tune" in the channels , but as I said in my previous reply , its the decoding that is the hard part, not the reception

in essence , you can definitely receive most of the main channels, but thats no good if you cannot unscramble them, which for the most part a patch will not do, especially not on 28 east

there are some channels opened by a patch + softcam on 13e and 19e and 39e (maybe one or two other sats too) but without internet access and some form of cs the rest will remain black (as I said , we dont discuss the cs part, and neither do most forums)

so if you want to watch 1 channel and record 3 channels from the same satellite, you ideally need a 4 tuner box (2 twin tuners) so thats a vu duo 2 , (with extra twin satellite tuner module fitted) , and an internal sata hdd fitted too

and thats before adding in any cs payments that we dont talk about ;)

if you look at your vm box it has a subscription card that allows you to watch what you pay for, remove it and you get maybe 16 to 20 fta channels only, like bbc1

sly do a similar trick with their boxes, and access to the subbed card is required for the channels to open, and only the ones you pay for (its been that way with sly for about 14 years now) - you dont really expect a large company like them to just let you buy a box for £100 and be able to get everything for nothing ! - surely not ;) lol

remove a subbed card from a sly box and it becomes a freesat box, google freesat and you will see what is "free" , like I said earlier on

dorsetjonboy
19-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Once again thanks for the quick and very in depth response. So its not all what its cracked up to be then! The bloke in the crappy shop which is selling the icecrypt box s3550 said that if i had the sly dish already there all it is, is a case of plugging in the box and i will get the freesat setup. It says on the box you can record 2 while watching a third channel but unlike what you have said above icecrypt didnt mention the set-up needed for that and neither did the sales bloke in the shop. He simply said i can plug in set up and record what i wanted and is all easy.

I didnt mention to him my intentions obviously as i thought i was on to a winner with this! Well if it is all possible for me to learn the process of what you have explained above and costs are worth it i am willing to give it s shot. Can i damage anything or be caught trying that 'method' we dont discuss on this forum? As i will try to find some answers out about it and 'how to' as i wouldnt want anyone on here to get im trouble for writing on the forum!

Ps if any of you smart guys are in dorset and want to do a full set up for me i will pay you lol

Thanks

dorsetjonboy
19-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the spelling mistakes! Trying to type on the phone hiding from eyes at work :)

echelon
19-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Once again thanks for the quick and very in depth response. So its not all what its cracked up to be then! The bloke in the crappy shop which is selling the icecrypt box s3550 said that if i had the sly dish already there all it is, is a case of plugging in the box and i will get the freesat setup. It says on the box you can record 2 while watching a third channel but unlike what you have said above icecrypt didnt mention the set-up needed for that and neither did the sales bloke in the shop. He simply said i can plug in set up and record what i wanted and is all easy.

I didnt mention to him my intentions obviously as i thought i was on to a winner with this! Well if it is all possible for me to learn the process of what you have explained above and costs are worth it i am willing to give it s shot. Can i damage anything or be caught trying that 'method' we dont discuss on this forum? As i will try to find some answers out about it and 'how to' as i wouldnt want anyone on here to get im trouble for writing on the forum!

Ps if any of you smart guys are in dorset and want to do a full set up for me i will pay you lol

Thanks

in that case he is correct , except for anything he left out (and you left out)

when you are recording a channel , you can watch or record another channels from the same tuner , with the proviso that both channels are on the same transponder (this makes a big difference)

so if you had 2 or more channels all on the same transponder you may be able to record several

but if we assume that the channels are all on different transponders, then a separate tuner and feed is needed for each one

a sly plus box works on the latter principle, it assumes that you wish to record bbc1 and watch itv1 or c4 or c5 etc, so uses one tuner and feed for the recording and the other tuner and feed for watching , maxxing out both tuners

so if we are talking purely fta channels, he is probably correct, albeit that it will depend on the same transponder issue ( you may typically get around 12 channels per transponder, but may be more or less)

when it comes to the scrambled stuff, neither you nor your mates have done the required research in working out how to decode said channels

as you didnt ask the guy in the shop its hardly surprising he didnt "advise you" privately as to the exact requirements (which you google for anyway as its definitely a no-no and yes people have been "done" , usually the suppliers and dealers , not the punters)

you wont damage anything if you try the above, but you need to start and learn slowly, possibly with a cheap box until you get going, a box you dont really care too much about that only gives the basics, not your ultimate requirements anyway. most of us on here have worked our way up from the lower basement as the teaboy before buying and running the company , ;) lol

joany
19-08-2013, 09:39 PM
in that case he is correct , except for anything he left out (and you left out)

when you are recording a channel , you can watch or record another channels from the same tuner , with the proviso that both channels are on the same transponder (this makes a big difference)

so if you had 2 or more channels all on the same transponder you may be able to record several

but if we assume that the channels are all on different transponders, then a separate tuner and feed is needed for each one

a sly plus box works on the latter principle, it assumes that you wish to record bbc1 and watch itv1 or c4 or c5 etc, so uses one tuner and feed for the recording and the other tuner and feed for watching , maxxing out both tuners

so if we are talking purely fta channels, he is probably correct, albeit that it will depend on the same transponder issue ( you may typically get around 12 channels per transponder, but may be more or less)

when it comes to the scrambled stuff, neither you nor your mates have done the required research in working out how to decode said channels

as you didnt ask the guy in the shop its hardly surprising he didnt "advise you" privately as to the exact requirements (which you google for anyway as its definitely a no-no and yes people have been "done" , usually the suppliers and dealers , not the punters)

you wont damage anything if you try the above, but you need to start and learn slowly, possibly with a cheap box until you get going, a box you dont really care too much about that only gives the basics, not your ultimate requirements anyway. most of us on here have worked our way up from the lower basement as the teaboy before buying and running the company , ;) lol

Ech - Don't some of these new boxes (INCREASINGLY) have plugins that allow streaming from the internet. I personally I have a raspberry pi running XBMC to supplement my sat stuff but don't these new boxes combine the two to some extent. Maybe this is something the OP has heard about?

echelon
19-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Ech - Don't some of these new boxes (INCREASINGLY) have plugins that allow streaming from the internet. I personally I have a raspberry pi running XBMC to supplement my sat stuff but don't these new boxes combine the two to some extent. Maybe this is something the OP has heard about?

yes, and its been mentioned many times on here

1channel , icefilms , catchup tv like iplayer and itv player

dorsetjonboy
26-08-2013, 10:57 AM
hi guys sorry for being quiet as been away on holiday. Well the time has come to purchase a box :woot-035: i now know the certain things we are not allowed to discuss etc and am still abit puzzled with this idea of the cccam thing and being able to get all the channel listings for free. As mentioned above people say to stay well clear of the icecrypt brand and as im a newbie i do not know of any other brands as such?? thanks

echelon
26-08-2013, 11:07 AM
its most definitely not "free"

any method of decoding scrambled channels is going to cost, especially for the top packages

the only things "free" are free to air channels like bbc1HD on 28 east (like Freesat), and any channels opened by softcam or biss keys like nova sport on 39e or fox on 30w for instance (nothing on 28 east)

a "channel list" is free because all it is will be a list of channels "tuned in" by another person for your particular box , sorted into various favourite lists (or bouquets), saving you time in doing all that for yourself. a "channel list" is just a list of channels on different satellites, it has nothing to do with decoding of any $ channels even if they are included in the list !

there will always be some $ channels you cannot decode no matter what you do, so the word "all" is never used as you will never decode "all" the channels, not even in the channel lists posted on here or elsewhere

in other words "all" is never a viable option, only "some". with a tiny minority that are "free"

if you re-read all the replies in this thread all the info you need has already been thoroughly explained to you, especially the info I have just given you once more

types and makes and models of boxes have also been mentioned too

dorsetjonboy
26-08-2013, 12:18 PM
its most definitely not "free"

any method of decoding scrambled channels is going to cost, especially for the top packages

the only things "free" are free to air channels like bbc1HD on 28 east (like Freesat), and any channels opened by softcam or biss keys like nova sport on 39e or fox on 30w for instance (nothing on 28 east)

a "channel list" is free because all it is will be a list of channels "tuned in" by another person for your particular box , sorted into various favourite lists (or bouquets), saving you time in doing all that for yourself. a "channel list" is just a list of channels on different satellites, it has nothing to do with decoding of any $ channels even if they are included in the list !

there will always be some $ channels you cannot decode no matter what you do, so the word "all" is never used as you will never decode "all" the channels, not even in the channel lists posted on here or elsewhere

in other words "all" is never a viable option, only "some". with a tiny minority that are "free"

if you re-read all the replies in this thread all the info you need has already been thoroughly explained to you, especially the info I have just given you once more

types and makes and models of boxes have also been mentioned too

yep got it!!! i was just wondering the best place to buy a box?? yes i know that the decoded thing is hard and not 'free' and i think i worded my response wrong sorry. i ment that its sort of subscription free as not having to pay the likes of sly or branson!! on the icecrypt it doesnt mention about having to have two feeds to record and watch other channels. I was told its simply a case of plug in and away you got! i have re read all the comments, and i think i may as well just buy a box to get the freesat channels, then continue with my research and experiment on the above methods

thanks for your help mate

Satcat
26-08-2013, 12:57 PM
yep got it!!! i was just wondering the best place to buy a box??

From the sponsors of this forum, "Goldwafers"

echelon
26-08-2013, 07:46 PM
yep got it!!! i was just wondering the best place to buy a box??

GOLDWAFERS (the forum sponsor)

yes i know that the decoded thing is hard and not 'free' and i think i worded my response wrong sorry. i ment that its sort of subscription free as not having to pay the likes of sly or branson!!

its still a subscription to somebody - a charge is made for a certain period and is renewed after that period, so it is definitely a sub , just not a legal sub, and definitely not "free"

on the icecrypt it doesnt mention about having to have two feeds to record and watch other channels. I was told its simply a case of plug in and away you got!

It may not tell you this info on a lot of boxes, but the fact remains that in general you need one tuner for each and every action and I explained all this in post #5 and again in post #8 too

a single tuner box can possibly allow recording of one channel and watch another if the two channels are on the same transponder (as in the last reply), but in all likelihood you will want to watch a channel on one transponder and record another channel on a different transponder, so to have full channel choice and availability you need 2 tuners which is the same principle employed by sly with sly plus HD , 2 FEEDS , 2 TUNERS , 2 ACTIONS

its not rocket science, its the way it works, and as human beings we usually want 2 independent choices so in this case thats 2 feeds from a quad lnb to a box containing 2 tuners (like sly plus) , or for 4 channels you want a double twin tuner box like the vu duo2 from goldwafers so that contains 4 separate tuners fed by 4 separate feeds from a quad lnb

i have re read all the comments, and i think i may as well just buy a box to get the freesat channels, then continue with my research and experiment on the above methods

thanks for your help mate

yep , been telling you that all along ;) LOL

start off slow and work up the ladder when you know the ropes

hope it works out for you