PDA

View Full Version : samsung plasma 43 inch tv

simon123
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
i have just bought a samsung 43 inch plasma tv today it has a usb port for a usb stick for photos and etc is there away i can change it to a smart tv if so how do i do this please

saintomer1866
08-09-2013, 08:38 AM
if you wanted a smart tv why didnt you buy one ?
some blu-ray players are 'smart' and have the required ethernet connection

Dark Cloud
08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
saintomer1866 is spot on!.
Get a Samsung "Smart" Blu-Ray player and it will link to your telly just nice.

echelon
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
all anyone can do with a tv is check the manufacturers website (in this case samsung) and download and install any firmware updates

then you check the manual and use the remote to see what it can do

if it has an ethernet port, connect it to your router (if its wifi, connect that to your router the same as you do with smart phones and tablets and laptops)

if it has any smart tv features, they will be in the menus and listed in any manuals for that tv

if it hasnt got those "smart tv" features, then you will have to add an extra box to do so, one with smart tv facilities built into it

there are some samsung and panasonic and other makes of dvd player that have "smart" features in them, so you could add one of those

or you could do as my lad did and buy an android MX2 (gbox2 midnight ) black box (check flea bay) and use that as your "smart" hub for xbmc etc (it has wifi or ethernet connection, with hdmi to go to the tv)

he also has a samsung BD-E6100 blu ray dvd player (bought from flea bay) that has smart features built in too

whereas I have the PANASONIC Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc DVD Network Player, - DLNA DMP-BDT120 sat under my sony tv

or you buy a VU satellite box (I have the Duo) and use that as a "smart" box using various plugins like icefilms and 1channel and ondemand

so in answer to the question, not if it hasnt already got those smart features - no

but if it hasnt - you add another box that has into the mix of boxes under it like the rest of us

donki
08-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Agree with Ech on this one but you could also just buy an Android TV Stick. They are as cheap as chips and will turn your TV into a Smart TV with a proper browser and proper email client, With it you can also add XBMC, fully fledged games, IPTV, BT Sport, etc etc. BUT make sure you get a decent one and not some underspec'd pile of junk going cheap on some bidding sites. Do your homework and expect to pay about £50. Get a mini wireless keyboard to go with it too and your are fully loaded and ready for action. :)

i have just bought a samsung 43 inch plasma tv today it has a usb port for a usb stick for photos and etc is there away i can change it to a smart tv if so how do i do this please

echelon
08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
thats why I mentioned the matricom MX2, its a better quality type of android stick and has a remote control, a wireless keyboard and can be controlled with wifi keyboard and mouse, or usb keyboard and mouse, also has wifi and ethernet built in, and runs jellybean and xbmc

its a bit more than the cheap as chips android sticks but as with everything , you get what you pay for

and if he had paid for a tv with built in smart features already, he wouldnt have to be adding them externally ! (as he seems to be having to do now he has bought it)

joany
08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
thats why I mentioned the matricom MX2, its a better quality type of android stick and has a remote control, a wireless keyboard and can be controlled with wifi keyboard and mouse, or usb keyboard and mouse, also has wifi and ethernet built in, and runs jellybean and xbmc

its a bit more than the cheap as chips android sticks but as with everything , you get what you pay for

and if he had paid for a tv with built in smart features already, he wouldnt have to be adding them externally ! (as he seems to be having to do now he has bought it)

I sort of agree with the point about 'buying a tv with smart features' to start with BUT afik most smart tv's still do not have the flexibility or configurability of say the xbmc. I have a £23 Raspberry Pi sat under my tv running xbmc (+£8 microsd card). I can control it remotely using either my smartphone or nexus tablet using the android app 'Yatse' as they are connected to the same network via wifi.

I would THOROUGHLY recommend everybody get one (if they can't afford the dearer options) for the price they are and the massive range of channels available (FREE). Only cost is the download if you don't have unlimited downloads.

Dreamcatcher
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I sort of agree with the point about 'buying a tv with smart features' to start with BUT afik most smart tv's still do not have the flexibility or configurability of say the xbmc. I have a £23 Raspberry Pi sat under my tv running xbmc (+£8 microsd card). I can control it remotely using either my smartphone or nexus tablet using the android app 'Yatse' as they are connected to the same network via wifi.

I would THOROUGHLY recommend everybody get one (if they can't afford the dearer options) for the price they are and the massive range of channels available (FREE). Only cost is the download if you don't have unlimited downloads.
I bought a raspberry pi last week and will set it up later this week. I got a SD dard with multi systems on it and will probably try Openelec at first.

joany
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I bought a raspberry pi last week and will set it up later this week. I got a SD dard with multi systems on it and will probably try Openelec at first.

you will be amazed by it. Make sure you install the fusion addon and mashup addon.

PS -Lets not hi...jack the post/topic though.

simon123
08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
so if i get a samsong blueray smart player it will do then

joany
08-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Here is a list of samsung apps from their website: _http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvapps/

This allows the catchup channels and also subscription services such as netflix.

The range of options is going to be very limited compared to an open source option like xbmc, which has an UNLIMITED number of plugins written by an army of amateur enthusiasts. Unless you don't like tweaking stuff yourself I would recommend the open source option of XBMC.

I guess a similar comparison might be between Android phone with the thousands of apps available (lots badly written but some really excellent) or Apple iphone where you can ONLy use the apps they want you to use.

sonic1
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM

It will give you plenty and they are not too expensive, they also complement the TV very well/

simon123
08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
no what im saying if i buy a smart blu ray player it will work with my tv

sonic1
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
no what im saying if i buy a smart blu ray player it will work with my tv

Yes