PDA

View Full Version : can i use a HDD from a sky box in my uno?

gbmitie
10-09-2013, 07:16 PM
got an amstrad box as a spare for nothing today, its the DRX890-C version. Its only going to sit there but could I take out the HDD and use it my vu+ uno??

Only a thought? Apparently they are not easy to access, I wonder why??

thanks

dog-man
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes is the short answer.

sonic1
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM
I destroyed the box getting the HDD out but it worked fine. :D

Anrakh
10-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Ditto

gbmitie
10-09-2013, 08:07 PM
thanks all, if i am careful, would the box work with no hdd? and is there any instructions on how to take out hdd?

edit, did a search and found a guide, watching footie, england v ukraine

cosworth4x4
10-09-2013, 09:26 PM
i take it you found the video on u tube, i upgraded the 500 to a 2 tb in my sky box .

not a 2 min job the frame is a pain.

dog-man
10-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Its easy if you take your time.

I also upgrade mine to a 2tb a long time ago.

echelon
10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I upgraded my amstrad to 2 tb some time ago too, I have also had the lids off quite a few sly plus HD boxes and they are all different inside, some with the hdd easier to get at than others, but all can be got at if you follow the instructions on google or take your time and apply common sense

the only caveats are that the HD ones are all 3.5 inch sata and the older sly plus SD ones are 3.5 inch pata

so the only bugbears are :- what type of connector does the third party box take (sata or pata ? ) and what size or sizes of hdd will the third party box actually take ? ie:- 2.5 inch laptop types, 3.5 inch pc types, or both like my duo can ?

so if it physically fits inside your third party box, AND if it has the correct connector on it , then yes you can use it - period

now as most or all modern boxes only accept sata internally (if at all) then we can rule out sly plus SD boxes and pata drives completely when asking this question

in practice , this means yes to a duo , and no to a solo2 (or dreambox 800), I have no idea about an uno or solo or ultimo as I have never seen inside them, but I believe a duo 2 can take both sizes of sata hdd drives

so the first task is to look inside your third party box and see if it has provisions for accepting a hdd internally, then determine the physical size allowed, and check that it has a sata connector and power point to power the internal sata drive too

it should be obvious that if you can fit a larger 3.5 inch pc hdd inside, then you can easily fit the smaller 2.5 inch laptop hdd inside instead

DCG
11-09-2013, 01:04 AM
im sure it must state this in the manual that came with the box
but yes as long as a sata

gbmitie
11-09-2013, 09:34 AM
i looked in the manual for the uno, page 69 and surprise surprise it says either a 2.5" hdd or.... a 3" hdd. I never heard of a 3" hdd. Must be a misprint.

Burnham
11-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I put a 3.5" Sata drive in my Uno.

gbmitie
11-09-2013, 02:58 PM
thats good to know, I cant get at my box yet!! Mind you after watching that video on how to get HDD out of the amstrad 890 box I wont be able to rush!!