PDA

View Full Version : need a 4 pin power adaptor to fit HDD to uno... why not supplied?

gbmitie
11-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I got a 300gb HDD out of an old sky box but when I opened the uno to fit it I found the power connector is a 4 pin to a white connector on the motherboard. The sata power cabble supplied wont connect!!

A right pain, why not supply the correct connector?? what do I actually need?

I have to add a PS

This was my own fault, I had hidden the original cable in a folder! Now found it so all is good but cant get hdd to mount!!

Mickha
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
That sounds like the correct power cable, for a sata hard drive, Are you certain the hard drive you have, out of the sky receiver, is sata?
You can get an adapter:

gbmitie
11-09-2013, 10:45 PM
but the connector on the board is this one!!! and when you look at a duo install its shows the correct cable!! what is the cable i need called? I got the one you posted.

DCG
11-09-2013, 11:47 PM
wat cable have you got and it it a real vu or a clone

Mickha
11-09-2013, 11:54 PM
It should have the HDD power lead included:

DCG
12-09-2013, 12:02 AM
It should have the HDD power lead included:

is that the inside of a vu

DCG
12-09-2013, 12:03 AM
I have one here but its like the connection on a floppy drive

Mickha
12-09-2013, 12:14 AM
VU+ Solo 2
Can you please upload some photos, of the cables you have supplied, with your VU receiver, and the rear of the hard drive you removed from your Sky receiver, particularly the connections. I'm beginning to think it might be an old hard drive.

DCG
12-09-2013, 12:18 AM
I cant upload any pictures m8 but im sure the op could

as I would like to see

gbmitie
12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
its no panic, all i want is the name of the cable i need, look at previous postings, i have shown the connector type from the vu uno board. here are a few more pics.

i got a long red sata cable and the other short one is the power cable, other pic shows the power cables

DCG
12-09-2013, 12:47 AM
is it a genuine uno

DCG
12-09-2013, 12:52 AM
you should be able to get that cable from any pc shop or use the one that came in the box with THE user manuel

seagate1
12-09-2013, 02:39 AM
xaplins and pc xorld do a connection for that lead. i think its ide power to sata power.

Mickha
12-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Try an internet search for P4 to Male Sata power cable but ensure you get one that is long enough to fit. As mentioned you should have had one supplied, with your receiver, check the box, if you still have it.

echelon
12-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Try an internet search for P4 to Male Sata power cable but ensure you get one that is long enough to fit. As mentioned you should have had one supplied, with your receiver, check the box, if you still have it.

looking on the usual a*cti*n site I found a few (but as mentioned they should both have been supplied with the vu when new)

SAS Male to SATA 7 Pin and Molex 4 Pin Power Cable - 6 Inches

LINDY Power Adapter , SATA Power Male to ATX P4 Motherboard Power, 0.15m

Molex 4pin Male to SATA 15 pin female + P4 male15.5cm connect SATA or P4 devices

Molex to ATX P4 4 Pin 12V Motherboard Lead Power Cable

SATA Slim Optical Drive to SATA & P4 ATX Power Cable

Internal Molex to ATX P4 Power Adaptor Cable
Connector A: Molex 4 Pin Male, Connector B: ATX P4 4 Pin Male, Length: 15cm

note:- most sellers will have the standard 4 pin in line molex connector, not the P4 connector , bear in mind there are molex male and female plugs too - so the ideal is sata to P4 male

gbmitie
12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
ok went to a local pc shop and the connection advised was this one

Molex 4pin Male to SATA 15 pin female + P4 male15.5cm connect SATA or P4 devices, no 6 on echelons images above. And I never knew there were so many. I have searched again for bits that came in box but no joy. There was a bg tidy up here tuesday so could be hidden some where!

Anyway I will order the one from pic 6, unless of course someone knows better. The hdd is from a sky thomson box that I had in loft!! dated 2007 and its got sata on the cable, its 300gb. Box is not a clone and I dont think there are any uno clones. Pic I posted above shows black and white power cables = genuine.

just in case here are some pics of the disc. it shows disk with connectors in place ie the ones it was fitted with in sky box, pic without connectors, and then labels

that pic above is of a vu solo2

a mighty thanks to all

echelon
12-09-2013, 12:41 PM
your pics are just a standard sata hdd with standard sata data and sata power connectors next to each other

your problem is that the uno motherboard uses the P4 power connector so needs P4 to sata power connectors , so that triple looking lead with sata + P4 + molex should do the trick, although strictly speaking the leads should have come with the uno with all the other bits and pieces in the box

you could quite easily buy the leads as shown in my pics, and maybe cobble 2 together to make your own, but some of the ones I listed from e*** will do the trick, but the blue one in pic5 was from the usa so silly post prices on that one, although its probably similar to what came with the uno (unless the uno had 2 separate leads)

pic no6 with the green "bubble" info on it should do the trick (pic p4sata1 jpeg)

gbmitie
12-09-2013, 01:10 PM
well what can I say, lead has been found in its original plastic wrapping and it fits! only problem I had moved box back under tv. I was helping a friend on Tuesday and lead got filed away in an online shopping file! Only found it as I was buying that one on e*******!

as an aside can I just put in hdd and box will wipe and format it?

by the way I have not seen a combined lead like that before but its very neat.

echelon
12-09-2013, 01:26 PM
should be an option to mount and format the hdd in your uno image

gbmitie
12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
waiting for a quite moment now and should get access to box again.