PDA

View Full Version : latitude and longitude

spurskev
27-09-2013, 07:16 PM
hi i am trying to set up my sb 6000 but cant seem to in put correct numbers does any one no how to abbreviate what was given on google earth readings - longitude and latitude. When i input what i think it is and press go to the calculation on google earth it goes to a totally different area to my house - obviously i am inputting it incorrectly. thanks.

enrico001u
27-09-2013, 07:21 PM
When i did mine i just googled whats my lat and it came back with correct figure of (53.0000, -1.5000)

voyager1972
27-09-2013, 07:24 PM
dishpointer.com

echelon
27-09-2013, 07:25 PM
just round it to the nearest you can manage, as it doesnt have to be exact

on my spiderbox I would put say 002.3W AND 53.5N for instance (where a minus sign also indicates west, a plus sign is east)

so for tottenham you would use something like 000.1W and 51.6N

spurskev
27-09-2013, 07:27 PM
cheers for reply so what out of that did you put in because you dont get space to put full reading in.cheers

echelon
27-09-2013, 07:33 PM
just input the correct amount of digits (three) before the POINT (the full stop) and (one) after the point and change the longitude to W or to E as appropriate for your location, and your latitude will be 2 digits before the POINT and 1 digit after it, and the letter change to N and not S

its not hard m8, its simple maths with rounding up to more or less decimal points dependent on the number of digits allowed

so for tottenham , it was -0.0757 which rounds up to 0.08 or 0.1 , and the minus makes it west (for your longitude) and your latitude was 51.6037 N which rounds down to 51.60 (to 2 decimal places) or 51.6 (to 1 decimal place) and make sure N is used and not S

skomedal
27-09-2013, 07:38 PM
When i did mine i just googled whats my lat and it came back with correct figure of (53.'''', -1.5)

And now everyone can trace your address with google maps if these coordinates are correct ( location in sheffield will not give actual address )

Fix the figures please as in your quote by me:blush5:
Regards

echelon
27-09-2013, 07:44 PM
frankly, he should already have all this info on his old spiderbox so its simply a case of putting the same details in on the new box, like we all do

spurskev
27-09-2013, 07:55 PM
thanks for that will try again it was just when i tried to scan for sats it did not find anything i followed the instructions down loaded patch etc any idea cheers .

echelon
27-09-2013, 08:02 PM
frankly, I never scan and apart from feedhunters never understand why anyone does so

with the spiderbox 6000 you are limited in the number of channels and transponders allowed anyway, a lot less than your old box, so its easy to bust the limits if you are scanning satellites (6000 channels instead of 10,000 channels)

why you dont just use a premade list for now whilst you are getting it going is beyond me

I just find it strange when people get so obsessed with having to scan or blind scan for channels when there is normally no reason for doing so

if you are going to scan, I suggest you manually scan just the transponders you require the channels from, by checking with k.o.sat or l*yngsat , that way you avoid having to clear out hundreds of unwanted channels

thats MY opinion anyway

as for usals, just use the same details you used on your old spiderbox in the new one

enrico001u
27-09-2013, 08:04 PM
And now everyone can trace your address with google maps if these coordinates are correct ( location in sheffield will not give actual address )

Fix the figures please as in your quote by me:blush5:
Regards

No they cant cos I aint that daft

This comes up with hub around 30 miles away

I checked first

but thanks for vigilance anyway

skomedal
27-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Words of wisdom echelon, deleteing unwanted channels is far more time consuming than just scanning the channels you want using info on sat. directory sites ( as mentioned ).

Regards

spurskev
27-09-2013, 08:13 PM
ok maybe were not all as bright as you ,i thought we helped each other not ridicule one and other in life i am the first to help someone just this is not my stroung piont may be im thick.

skomedal
27-09-2013, 08:13 PM
No they cant cos I aint that daft

This comes up with hub around 30 miles away

I checked first

but thanks for vigilance anyway

Phew that`s a relief .

Regards

enrico001u
27-09-2013, 08:16 PM
ok maybe were not all as bright as you ,i thought we helped each other not ridicule one and other in life i am the first to help someone just this is not my stroung piont may be im thick.

Dont think any ridicule was intended.
Just maybe a combination of bad wording and a little mis reading

echelon
27-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I gave my opinion which I am entitled to do no matter who reads it, scanning is for those who know what they are doing and why (usually feed hunters) - so not me and not you either , and for anyone reading this thread its important that they take note of it before they get weird results once the spiderbox 6000 memory is full up (which it soon will be if scanning). I tell it the way it is, no frills and no dressing up either, it was also 100% factual and accurate

I had a feeling of deja vu when I read this new thread and now I know why , we had the exact same conversations over a year ago with your 9000 , here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?157850-10-east and you werent a happy bunny then too

it would seem that all you need to do with your new box is do exactly the same as you and your missus did last year with the old box, perhaps you should have searched your previous posts seeing as it was all sorted last year in the same manner ?, - just a thought

so what goes around, come around, especially for those who forget history and so relive it ;)

regards

spurskev
27-09-2013, 08:34 PM
well i looked at my posts and nothing there about lat or long may be this is personal because i for got last year.

echelon
27-09-2013, 09:06 PM
in that thread you were asked to provide latitude and longitude details because you could not find 10e pltv despite umpteen replies, when you replied you said it was on all zeros (post #31 spurskev "sorry me again longitude says 000.0e and lat says 00.0n " )

you were advised back then to use your gps details in post #32 and I even gave you an example for tottenham cemetery in post #37 so how you can say it wasnt discussed is beyond me !!!

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?157850-10-east/page2

the point here is that you are not a newbie to the spiderbox, we went through all this 14 months ago with your spiderbox 9000 , and eventually you sorted out your latitude and longitude on 27th august 2012 , now you have a new spiderbox 6000 you should still be using those same details and you should by now have learned how to set up a spiderbox seeing as this is your second one and those correct details are in your old one

this is a technical forum where the questions and answers and tutorials are there for all to see, so as its not facebook or bebo then when asking questions its as well to check they havent been answered already, in this case what I find galling is that we went through the same frustrations over a year ago, to the point where you exasperated several members here including myself

I would have thought that the initial replies in this thread would have jogged your memory and also they provided you with the basics for the question asked, then you went off at a tangent asking about scanning when its clear its not setup correctly as yet

scanning is something you do with a freeview tv so it picks up all the channels in your area , typically about 125 channels, but there are over ten thousand channels on a motorised system so scanning should be avoided wherever possible, and leave it to those feedhunters who are aware of the pitfalls of scanning. the same principles applied with your old box so I would have hoped that after 14 or more months we would have taught you the basics on the 9000 such that your 6000 should be a doddle, especially when your new box can only take just over half the number of channels your old box can

thats how I see it, and your previous thread on it seems to prove you learned nothing from the posts we all made back then either, which annoys me when I give the help and advice freely, and I make sure the tutorials are updated with as much info as possible for any "newbies", never mind those more experienced members

there is nothing personal in this, its sheer disappointment that I have had to repeat myself yet again on a subject that should not need repeating as its fundamental to those of us in the motorised dish world and something you should have learned by heart 14 months ago after spending a week trying to get PLTV on 10e with a biss key and eventually I told you to check your usals and it was set to 0.00 and 00.0

dave d
27-09-2013, 09:10 PM
just down load super compass app on you phone gives the lat and long of where your standing ,,,,,,,:)