PDA

View Full Version : Is this stupid? and don't just post yes?

hianta
11-10-2013, 11:47 AM
OK I'll try make this short.. Since I don't know anything about programming or writing programs I'm interested to know if It is possible to write a sub routine to make the box use the USB stick/ drive as memory? Like a computer can do by allowing the HDD be used as RAM?
Would this allow the box to store more channels and give it more options like editable FAV names and more?
Yes at my age I know I should not ask silly questions but I have, so will now sit back and read the backlash?
your knowledge is appreciated ty

Mickha
11-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Unlikely as the Spiderbox is not a Linux based receiver, with open source coding. You can store images, and features, on USB sticks, or hard drives, in linux based receivers, but all you can do with the Spiderbox is record, tranfer data, both ways, channel lists, softcams, etc.. and view movie, and image files.
The only way you can get other features added, like the ability to alter the fav list, is by contacting the developers, but the Spiderbox might not have the capacity to do to much more, after all it is a very nicely priced receiver, for the options it provides.
You can get a linux based receiver, with the options you want to try, quite cheaply, and might be worth playing with, just don't try anything with the Spiderbox.

echelon
11-10-2013, 01:19 PM
agree with mickha above

you can do what you wish with the vu boxes and similar linux boxes, which use the linux os, but bespoke boxes like the spiderboxes are just not able to do so, even if you had the source os software

you get what you pay for , and the vu range will certainly do as you ask, which is why the developers develop for them

den123
11-10-2013, 02:10 PM
yes lol

hianta
11-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks for that I understand and very well explained to. In no way am I putting this box down and can't say I'm to bothered not being able to name fav's. It was just a thought that wondered into my little grey cell's or cell lol. Thank's for explaining and not just posting YES! DEN123 :smilielol5:

simon123
12-10-2013, 09:47 AM
i agree lol

echelon
12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
what you have to take into accound with these bespoke software boxes is that the developers will not release the source code for the os and so you are unlikely to get a hold of it, even if it were possible to do what you are asking

whereas linux based boxes by definition use open source software in which case people develop plugins and addons, same as with android devices that also have apps (plugins and addons) but if you look at apple it uses a bespoke software and the apps are developed using licensed developer kits and are vetted before being allowed onto their website for download (obviously people jailbreak devices and so sometimes they cir***vent the controls in place, so never say never)

but as the system already exists for boxes like the VU range, it seems pointless trying to spend time and effort breaking the os on the spiderboxes when you can almost guarantee that the box hasnt got the memory capacity to run these "apps" on top of the ones already in it (like u tube)