PDA

View Full Version : WiFi help required

rednoddy
25-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Just spent 2 days trying to connect to Wi Fi. I have read the setup instructions re this but having no luck.
After setting Wireless connection I click on settings and see the WiFi connection I want to connect to. when I click on it I get 2 items, Network SSID and Security. I have both WiFi reference? and password from the server. I have tried both separately in the SSID, but although the connection says true it5 does not connect.
Could someone please point me in the right direction

gbmitie
25-11-2013, 08:32 PM
"To Setup Wired or Wireless go to Menu / Multimedia / Network Settings right scroll to select Wired or Wireless, ok, enter your wireless Password then go to the floppy disc icon in the same text window to save.
To get extended Menu options goto Menu / Others and press 1111, this will give you 3 extra options at the bottom of the list.
Go to ‘Network’, scroll down to IKS and press register OK, will then show Connection Status as Connected and expiry date."

what make router are you using and have you anything else connected wirelessly? how far from router? And you may have set router to restricted access? I dont have the 6000 so cant help much further.

Aldo
25-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Did you follow all of the instructions, as you did not mention this part:

enter your wireless Password then go to the floppy disc icon in the same text window to save.

rednoddy
25-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I am setting up the Spiderbox for a friend on a narrowboat in a marina and using the WiFi available on site. I have setup my laptop up with no problems. However, whereas the laptop asks for both code and password, the spiderbox does not. this is why I am having so much trouble!

rednoddy
25-11-2013, 08:45 PM
aldo. As I said I read the setup instructions/guide, and obviously followed them. Where/how does it request a password?

hianta
25-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Just spent 2 days trying to connect to Wi Fi. I have read the setup instructions re this but having no luck.
After setting Wireless connection I click on settings and see the WiFi connection I want to connect to. when I click on it I get 2 items, Network SSID and Security. I have both WiFi reference? and password from the server. I have tried both separately in the SSID, but although the connection says true it5 does not connect.
Could someone please point me in the right direction

if the box has seen the connection you wish then select it. This brings up the password menu / keypad? next enter the password in small or cap letters ( as it is in the password) you change this by pressing the A / a above the floppy?

If it says true then you are connected?

rednoddy
25-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks to all who have offered advice. I will be going to the boat tomorrow and will try again. I will let you all know how I got on.

rednoddy
28-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Further to my last post. I have been back to the boat and have tried all the suggestions but still cannot connect to the local WiFi. When I get to Wireless Connection pressing OK does nothing, the only way forward is to Settings which shows the local WiFi connection, pressing OK only starts connecting eventually showing true next to local connection! However, it is NOT connected which is not surprising because I have not entered the Password. This has been the problem all along. Where/how is the password entered? It is getting very frustrating. Any ideas?

hianta
28-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Further to my last post. I have been back to the boat and have tried all the suggestions but still cannot connect to the local WiFi. When I get to Wireless Connection pressing OK does nothing, the only way forward is to Settings which shows the local WiFi connection, pressing OK only starts connecting eventually showing true next to local connection! However, it is NOT connected which is not surprising because I have not entered the Password. This has been the problem all along. Where/how is the password entered? It is getting very frustrating. Any ideas?
If you set it up with the correct password the other day then it will connect automatic.
you say it is not connected? have you tried youtube or IPTV in the box to see if this is working? it would tell you if you are connected to the internet?
The other thing is it will say TRUE if the wifi connection is connected but is the wifi connected to the internet?
just a few thoughts?

rednoddy
28-11-2013, 01:34 AM
hianta. I have not previously inserted the password because I have not been asked to! Exactly where do I put it? I did try putting it in by adding but that just created a new local connection!! No I have not tried youtube or IPTV, I will try next time I go to the boat. The local WiFi in on 24/7.so I don't think that is the problem The problem is inserting the password, but how do I do it?

hianta
28-11-2013, 02:01 AM
hianta. I have not previously inserted the password because I have not been asked to! Exactly where do I put it? I did try putting it in by adding but that just created a new local connection!! No I have not tried youtube or IPTV, I will try next time I go to the boat. The local WiFi in on 24/7.so I don't think that is the problem The problem is inserting the password, but how do I do it?

I don't know what the Protocol is for the providers wifi network you are trying to gain access to but I can tell you that if it say's true you have a wifi connection? Entering password has been stated but I wonder what are you connecting to? If its trying to clear channels then it could be that your provider does not open these channels or has closed or moved? (nothing is forever ) this is why you check for
WIFI = TRUE = WIFI IS CONNECTED
YOUTUBE OR IPTV IS WORKING = INTERNET IS WORKING
Then check that your lines are correct? = any ch's open = lines OK

Hope this helps you ? If not or even if it does please post back and let us all know.....

Roadrunner
28-11-2013, 02:29 AM
The only possible explanation for you not being asked for a password is that you are connecting to an unsecured network, in which case the box would connect to the network without asking you for a pass. If you tried to connect to a network that is secured the box would come up with a screen where you would need to type your network key. You can easily check if its a case for you, by checking if there is a red padlock next to your wi-fi routers name. It would really be best if you tried if you can connect to you tube to see if there is a connection since the box says `true` . You can also see if you are connected if you press the EPG button
Providing that you have one of the latest patches installed , on top of the screen (where date and time is) there would also be three icons (the first of them is for your wi-fi connection second for Lan and third for 3G)Two of them would show a prohibition sign on them and one wouldn`t . The one that isn`t, indicates the method you are connecting to the network, if all three show it it means you are not connected.

rednoddy
28-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Roadrunner, Thank you for such detailed information with all the possibilities. The next time I go to the boat I will try everything that you have suggested. When I was there yesterday I did add the new patch (26/11) so you tube is there!!
I will let you know how I get on.

Roadrunner
28-11-2013, 11:06 AM
You welcome, hope you will get it sorted eventually. Just to clarify :the youtube was there right from the first patch, and when I said (Providing that you have one of the latest patches installed) I meant that only recently the Icons indicating your connection were introduced :) Looking at the youtube was just one of many ways of checking if you really are connected to network.
Regards
Rd

rednoddy
28-11-2013, 12:28 PM
hianta. The only way I know its not connecting is that Cccam and IKS channels do not open. There are other boat owners who also have sat dishes and they are using WiFi bridges because they also appear with the site connection when I connect to wireless!

hianta
28-11-2013, 01:39 PM
hianta. The only way I know its not connecting is that Cccam and IKS channels do not open. There are other boat owners who also have sat dishes and they are using WiFi bridges because they also appear with the site connection when I connect to wireless!

Then you are connecting to WiFi and after checking if you get youtube you will know if you are connecting to the internet. Which brings the problem to iks do not open that channel or an entry in Cccam is wrong?
pm sent please check your inbox?

rednoddy
28-11-2013, 03:41 PM
hianta. Thanks for PM. Unfortunately as a newcomer with 0nly 8 posts I was unable to reply. Am aware of IKS parameters and Cccam together with IKS was working correctly when installed at my home. When I visit the boat next time I intend to take laptop and program Vonets bridge in the hope I can connect that way! Also will be following advice from Roadrunner. Thanks for staying with me.

jbvid
28-11-2013, 09:23 PM
@rednoddy,
Re the boat, where is your dish? I assume its fixed on land and not floating about with the boat? have you got a signal from it for IKS and CCcam?
jb

hianta
28-11-2013, 11:28 PM
hianta. Thanks for PM. Unfortunately as a newcomer with 0nly 8 posts I was unable to reply. Am aware of IKS parameters and Cccam together with IKS was working correctly when installed at my home. When I visit the boat next time I intend to take laptop and program Vonets bridge in the hope I can connect that way! Also will be following advice from Roadrunner. Thanks for staying with me.

As I said to you I don't use lines but just put one into the Cccam to see what was involved.
I love this box lol It was a lot easier than I thought and only mist out two letters in the line the first time lol so entered the lot again on line 7 all working the now. (only a free line but might think about buying)
After doing this I, like yourself just can't think of why it won't work at the boat? (your lines will still be in the box)
All you would have to do is conect to the WiFi provider which you did.
So after checking WiFi =" boats supplies network" Has TRUE on it .(means you are connected to that WiFi service)
Check youtube is working. (means your box has a connectoin to the internet)
Check Cccam menu has a green dot beside it? (means the line is correct and working?)
Then you could enter line again on empty space if you have the internet connection?
and of course as jbvid said check the dish on open and closed channels?
Failing all else take it back to house and check it there again?

rednoddy
29-11-2013, 12:59 AM
jbvid@ Dish is mounted on narrowboat. Receiving channels no problem. Trouble is IKS and Cccam not opening due to lack of connection to site WiFi!!

rednoddy
29-11-2013, 01:10 AM
hianta@ Been using lines for years with no problems. When connected to internet shows number of cards, when not connected shows 0 cards. Because I have so far been unable to connect I obviously get 0 cards and IKS not connected!
I have tested the box at home and it connects and works perfectly! However, that test was wired direct to my Lan cable and not wireless. I am beginning to think it may be the strength of the WiFi signal although it is showing excellent! I will have a better idea when I take the laptop to the boat and do a bit of experimenting!!

blackdevil
29-11-2013, 08:10 AM
hianta@ Been using lines for years with no problems. When connected to internet shows number of cards, when not connected shows 0 cards. Because I have so far been unable to connect I obviously get 0 cards and IKS not connected!
I have tested the box at home and it connects and works perfectly! However, that test was wired direct to my Lan cable and not wireless. I am beginning to think it may be the strength of the WiFi signal although it is showing excellent! I will have a better idea when I take the laptop to the boat and do a bit of experimenting!!

I think that your mistake is that while you have wireless network option you press yellow button 'add' which is used to add a new network .
Now the correct is when you are in this option to press red button 'refresh' .
Now you will see all the existing networks .
Select the marine's pressing OK to it and then write the password .
Be careful keyboard is by default in caps . To change it use this 'A-->a' in keyboard .
Also do not forget to press floppy disc in keyboard to save password .
Then wait a little until 'true' appears .

rednoddy
29-11-2013, 11:37 AM
blackdevil@ Thank you. Yes I did in the early days press the yellow button but I soon realised that it just added another network. My problem appears when I am on the marine's network when I press OK it just tries to connect. I am not getting the password option! This is what is baffling me.

hianta
29-11-2013, 11:57 AM
the only thing you have not answered yet that I see as important? Is connect to youtube as this will tell you for sure if you have no connection ( WiFi is true so your connected to something?) After this you can figure out the next step? (poor or over used WiFi network? Connecting to wrong WiFi signal?)

rednoddy
29-11-2013, 01:48 PM
hianta@ Hope to get down to boat today to try you tube. As promised will let you all how I get on.

blackdevil
29-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Menu - Multimedia - Network Settings
Left scroll to select Wireless
Scroll down to :
Wireless Network --> Settings - press OK
Press red button 'Refresh' , all existing Networks will appear
Select yours and press OK
Write your password then go to the floppy disc icon to save it
After some seconds 'true' message will appear

rednoddy
30-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Latest update! Spent 1 Hour yesterday and 2 hours today at mooring and still cannot get the box to open You tube, IKS or anything else. Whilst I now get connection? to the site WiFi at 87% strength, I believe the reason for not opening anything is that I still can't enter password!!! This is ridiculous, last evening I installed the box at home and everything worked perfectly.ie. after selecting my WiFi connection clicked OK and was presented with keyboard for password. Yet At the boat mooring when I select WiFi connection and click OK all I can get is connecting followed by true! It will not take me to keyboard for password. Why this difference in actions between home and mooring I cannot explain. I followed blackdevil's latest instructions exactly. Refresh did bring up the other Wi Fi connection on the site, but again after selecting site WiFi it just went into connecting! Just a thought, if when at home would it be possible to enter the site WiFi network name and then the password and store it, so that when I take the box back to the mooring would I get full connection?

echelon
30-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Latest update! Spent 1 Hour yesterday and 2 hours today at mooring and still cannot get the box to open You tube, IKS or anything else. Whilst I now get connection? to the site WiFi at 87% strength, I believe the reason for not opening anything is that I still can't enter password!!! This is ridiculous, last evening I installed the box at home and everything worked perfectly.ie. after selecting my WiFi connection clicked OK and was presented with keyboard for password. Yet At the boat mooring when I select WiFi connection and click OK all I can get is connecting followed by true! It will not take me to keyboard for password. Why this difference in actions between home and mooring I cannot explain. I followed blackdevil's latest instructions exactly. Refresh did bring up the other Wi Fi connection on the site, but again after selecting site WiFi it just went into connecting! Just a thought, if when at home would it be possible to enter the site WiFi network name and then the password and store it, so that when I take the box back to the mooring would I get full connection?

I doubt it as wifi connections rely on channel numbers, names and mac codes etc too , never mind different encryption types , login names and login passwords

for all we know your home network could be wep or wpa and the one near the boat could be wpa-psk2 or whatever its called

there is also the fact that the host ip address could be different and the served out ip addresses could be different too

so your home could be 192.168.1.1 and the one on the boat could be 192.168.0.1 , or 192.168.1.254

its not as if one wifi fits all

rednoddy
30-11-2013, 08:18 PM
echelon@ You have shone a different light on the problem. As far as security is concerned I have not entered any type into the box. I do know that my home network is set at WPA2. I'm told that is secure! As for ip address, I can certainly ask the marina owner for details. Apart from this I just don't know what else I can do!

hianta
30-11-2013, 08:18 PM
rednoddy? this is a long shot but if you haven't tried it, maybe you could? Factory reset take to boat switch on then look for the WiFi signal and select the one that you want ? if it's there? ( factory reset will wipe your WiFi connections and let you see what's there and what is password controlled ) like I say long shot?

Think your way beyond this but it may interest you?
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?164410-Navigating-the-fav-s-sat-s-and-channel-list

rednoddy
30-11-2013, 08:28 PM
hianta@ Thanks, it's worth a try. I hope to find the time tomorrow to go back to the boat. Fingers crossed!!

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
hianta. Sorry to say your suggestion did not work. I've brought the box back to house and set up. Again no problem connecting to my WiFi. As soon as I click on wireless connection (Netgear router), whether OK or Connect, it shows the keyboard for password.
So why will it not show the keyboard on the boat. This is doing my head in!!!

echelon
01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
really need to know what system your netgear is using ? (probably wpa-psk)

also need to know what system is the boatyard using ? (same or not ? - if not - what ? )

clearly this is a wifi issue, nobody else seems to have had this problem so you may be the first

maybe the spiderbox can "talk" to any wifi system , or maybe not

hianta
01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
hianta. Sorry to say your suggestion did not work. I've brought the box back to house and set up. Again no problem connecting to my WiFi. As soon as I click on wireless connection (Netgear router), whether OK or Connect, it shows the keyboard for password.
So why will it not show the keyboard on the boat. This is doing my head in!!!

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like that its the internet connection at the boat and you should contact the supplier of that service again?
As said in previous posts If it is not a secure WiFi then it will not ask for the password and since you said you had the laptop working on the internet at the boat maybe you could ask another boat owner and the supplier how to?
The box usually scans for any WiFi signals and auto fills in the details so If provider cant come up with anything it would have to be " not compatible" with the boats connection? ( hope not but I now have ran out of Ideas so hope someone finds out ) good luck

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 06:23 PM
hianta. How would I check if is secure or not? When the Site connection come up it has a red padlock against it, which indicates it requires a password! What I can't explain is why the box will not let me enter password when clicking on site connection, when on the boat, yet will allow when at home. This is obviously at the root of the problem. In case it was a power problem, I have tried both 12V and 240V connections! It has made no difference. I don't think the site owner can help me because I believe it is a receiver problem, deciding when and where it allows password entry!

^^COMPASS^^
01-12-2013, 06:24 PM
It maybe a free wifi connection that requires a web browser login to gain internet access (similar to what premier inn offer, "30 minutes free browsing on a daily basis")

when you open your browser,
you would be redirected to a specific web page where you can login,

without http login you would be merely connected to wifi alone without internet access.

hianta
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
It maybe a free wifi connection that requires a web browser login to gain internet access (similar to what premier inn offer, "30 minutes free browsing on a daily basis")

when you open your browser,
you would be redirected to a specific web page where you can login,

without http login you would be merely connected to wifi alone without internet access.
Would think this is the only possibility and rednoddy would have to check with supplier to find out.

echelon
01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
as above, good points made, which is why I said its important to know what the boatyard is using

my point is that I do not believe its the spiderbox at fault , so not a spiderbox issue , especially as it works on the OP netgear at his house, which is probably using wpa-psk out of a number of possibilities

therefore its all down to the access system used at the boatyard, meaning its a wifi issue , and the compass post above is a good and likely scenario , such that it would probably work with a laptop or maybe even a mobile phone

its basically a problem with the encryption and access allowed by the boatyard router , which no amount of spiderbox tweaking will solve if its actually the case that the boatyard router needs "tweaking"

so the OP is going round in circles due to the fact that the spiderbox is not compatible with the boatyard router

question is ? will any other spiderbox work there ? or a dreambox ? or a vu ? or a technomate ? or any other box ? OR NOT ! ?

ps:- my netgear has the following wifi options listed

disabled
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA2-PSK
MIXED WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
WPA-PSK-802.1X

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 06:35 PM
COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!

echelon
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!

it still doesnt answer the questions as to what type of encryption is used on your netgear , or what type is used on the site

neither does it answer the question as to if its a http login page or not at the site (clearly it wont be on your netgear), as per the compass post (clearly a spiderbox isnt a http login)

so when you logged in on site with the laptop, did it open a http page that you put the password into ? or not ?

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 06:44 PM
echelon. Thank you. I will definitely discuss this with the site owner. What I can't get my head round is why the receiver allows access to keyboard at home but not on the boat!

^^COMPASS^^
01-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Yep when you entered the password it's paired with your pc mac address.

hianta
01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
I think you just answered it yourself? You can get free WiFi which will allows you to gain access to the web login and the spiderbox does not give you that option because The WiFi is normally connecting straight to internet and this is why Password is needed to login to The WiFi?

echelon
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
echelon. Thank you. I will definitely discuss this with the site owner. What I can't get my head round is why the receiver allows access to keyboard at home but not on the boat!

because (as I have said before several times) the site access is clearly NOT THE SAME as your netgear access

my netgear is set for WPA-PSK so when somebody comes here or I login the first time , the device checks the wifi access and asks for the password , I give them or enter my wifi access password and that device remembers it and is paired by the mac code of the device (as mentioned by compass)

now when you go to the boatyard, its clear something different happened like compass inferred, so the spiderbox looks at the access type, throws a wobbly as unrecognised access and does not proceed to the next stage

hence my constant reminders that you have not indicated what the boatyard access actually is (not your home one either) and clearly they are not the same, hence my earloier reply as to why it cannot be done at your house

ie:- the spiderbox mac code and authorised password needs registering on the router login , this cannot be done as the wouter wifi encryption is unknown to the spiderbox (like compass pointed out)

^^COMPASS^^
01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Ech there's no encryption to connect to the wifi
when you open your browser your merely redirected to a 3 party site where you can buy internet airtime

I have actually done the above on a Haven caravan park,
The spiderbox doesn't have a web browser so isn't compatible

I used a VU+ UNO with opera web browser installed
i went to havens home page and entered a voucher code i bought from havens shop
it worked well.

It may be an option for you to share your internet connection from your laptop to your spiderbox

echelon
01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I think you just answered it yourself? You can get free WiFi which will allows you to gain access to the web login and the spiderbox does not give you that option because The WiFi is normally connecting straight to internet and this is why Password is needed to login to The WiFi?

not quite, you can still log on to a router even if the broadband is down

wifi connections allow mobile devices access to the router using a type of encryption , a channel number , a mac code login and a password or pin , depending on the router used and its admin settings

access to the internet is allowed or denied within the router using its DMZ and also any other factors determined by the router admin as to who can do what and why and how

echelon
01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Ech there's no encryption to connect to the wifi
when you open your browser your merely redirected to a 3 party site where you can buy internet airtime

thanks , in that case its basically something to do with what I have been repeating all along , that the spiderbox does not recognise the wifi encryption and so rejects it and fails to go to the password stage

nowhere in this saga has the OP told us what he uses at home, nor what is used at the boat site

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
echelon. When I use the laptop there is a network icon on the taskbar which lets me know what networks are available. I just click it and select the one I want. If available it asks for a password, which if correct allows access. As previously stated my Netgear router is programmed with WPA2 encryption. Unfortunately, when at the boat I cannot gain access to the security menu when trying to log on, it only has Auto of Manual?

echelon
01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
echelon. When I use the laptop there is a network icon on the taskbar which lets me know what networks are available. I just click it and select the one I want. If available it asks for a password, which if correct allows access. As previously stated my Netgear router is programmed with WPA2 encryption. Unfortunately, when at the boat I cannot gain access to the security menu when trying to log on, it only has Auto of Manual?

true, but your laptop has wifi drivers that can identify the type of encryption used and so allow you to just put in the password (it does the work not you)

clearly the spiderbox see it , says WTF and doesnt go any further , so clearly it works with WPA2 at your house so it cannot be WPA2 at the boatyard or you would get the same thing

we also know spiderboxes work with wep and wpa-psk so it cannot be those either IMHO

the point is that its a router login problem via wifi , at the boatyard, caused by something you have not identified , which you are expecting us to know , or you expect the spiderbox developers to know and have installed suitable drivers for it

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Thank you all for bearing with me. Never thought it was going to get so technical It's getting a bit beyond me so I will wait till I have spoken to the site owner to see if he can provide some answers before I come back to you.

blackdevil
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Because it has referred ,i have my router using WPA2-PSK and Spiderbox has no problem to connect with it .
I had also test other protocols without any problem .
As i read all latest posts ,and if owner cannot give you a solution, there is a possibility to connect with your spiderbox from your PC .
You 'll have to use an ethernet cable (utp) from your PC to Spiderbox .
Go to your PC : START - SETTINGS - NETWORK CONNECTIONS
You have the wireless network conection & local area connection network .
Press ctrl from your PC's keyboard to select both connections and make them bridge connections.
In Spiderbox menu you must select wired network .

hianta
01-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Looks like you need to find out what boxes and what WiFi bridges they use?

rednoddy
01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
blackdevil. That is interesting, I did not know that was possible. Will need to get laptop for boat owner if I cannot resolve the problem

^^COMPASS^^
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
You could ask the boat yard if they could get your Spiderbox Wifi Mac address registered with the hosting company that provide the Internet service.
If there willing to do this i would only pay for a short test period & see how it goes.

The WiFi mac address differs to the one found in Network settings

It can be found in your home router,
make sure you are connected to your router using wireless setup

Using your Spiderbox 6000HD Remote

menu>
Multimedia>
Network Settings>
Make a note of your IP: EG: 192.168.0.10

Using your pc

In your web browser enter
192.160.0.1 press enter
you should be prompted for username & password
this should be located on your router
EG:
login: admin
pass: password
next press the login tab

On my router i navigate to LAN then Ethernet,
which displays both my wired & wireless devices
look for your Spiderbox 6000HD IP address (which you made a note of earlier)
write down Spiderbox Wifi Mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Roadrunner
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
If everything else fails (I hope not) then perhaps a 3g dongle could offer some solution? How expensive would it be to run a spider from a simcard? As far as I know they are charged with data rather than time, and I dont think that spider uses all that much data to stay connected? If you go easy on the IPTV then it will last very long on each top-up.
But that would only make sense if all else fails, or the hot spots owner asks for more money

terry l
03-12-2013, 12:10 AM
m8,wot,s the use in using a dongle?..if u plug it into the usb port how r u going to use the recording side of the system?...unless u you u use your laptop our your main computer to make the conect
tion.. u might as well [if it work's use a mifi..and a three month chip]...my opinion..Could be wrong but then again hey ho..lol... /?

rednoddy
03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
terry l. Thanks. Point taken. Decided to take a couple of days off, it's getting me down.

january_king
03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Possible alternative?
I was having problems with the wi-fi connection to the Spiderbox dropping frequently despite adequate signal strength. Security is WPA2-PSK [AES]. In an attempt to fix this quickly I used an Apple Airport Express to provide access via the LAN socket instead. Bingo (or similar!) it worked 100% last night with no drop outs. If there is anything in this it should also work with any other item that provides a LAN connection from a wifi signal. I had a cheapo one for my 9000HD which I will try today - its downside is that it is powered by the USB socket. Either way it does not involve tying up a laptop.
I suspect that problems people are having are related in some way to the wifi security protocol used and maybe even its exact implementation by different routers.

echelon
03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I suspect that problems people are having are related in some way to the wifi security protocol used and maybe even its exact implementation by different routers.

I have been saying this all along , its a wifi security issue that the spiderbox cannot resolve which stops it in its tracks preventing the password screen coming up

one option I was thinking about was to try to use another router locally, one that can pick up the wifi signal and login using its own admin panel, this would then provide a different ip address and login password and encryption like wpa-psk or wpa2 that the spiderbox logs into and the admin panel of this secondary router would control local access and not the main one (or such that you use the lan output in a similar fashion to this apple adapter mentioned in the last post)

effectively the same as using a laptop to do it in the "bridge" method described earlier

I would think that you can by wireless extenders to do this , the part I wasnt sure of is if you can get an extender that is more like a router in that it provides more local login and ip address options. possibly using an old cheap router to achieve this ?

january_king
03-12-2013, 11:35 AM
The item I referred to above is a Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge which certainly did its stuff in providing a LAN connection to my (now HDMI-knackered) HD9000. About £12 online. In a sense it is doing the interface work that is done by the Spiderbox in wifi mode. I guess I could run it off a USB power supply (phone type) instead of the single USB socket on the 6000.

[LATER EDIT] I have tried the above and on a brief test it seems to work as well as the Airport. Using the LAN port rather than built-in wifi looks like a solution.

rednoddy
05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Latest update!!! Still not connected!! However the company who installed the WiFi at the marina, Ineedbroadband, cannot understand why I cannot connect. They say that the installation is a "Hotspot" and does not have an encryption. They are now going to investigate the problem and are going to have a look into the specification of the Smartbox. They have promised to come back to me in a day or two with their findings.

echelon
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
sounds more like what compass posted about earlier then , where the login screen is a http login

posts #36 + #42 + #45

he also did tell you the box is not compatible too

what the spiderbox or smartbox is after is a standard wpa login like at your house (a router login)

rednoddy
17-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Final update!!!! Have finally managed to connect the 6000HD to the marina WiFi. I first logged on using a laptop which accepted the WiFi Username and password. Then used Windows 7 internet sharing feature. finally connecting with a LAN cable. This is basically what both Compass and blackdevil had suggested. The delay in getting this to work was due to my lack of knowledge of how to do it!! I finally found the details for "Dummies" on the internet.
My thanks to everyone who helped me through this saga. :hurray: :D

echelon
23-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I recently stayed in a hotel with free wifi for guests and saw exactly what compass mentioned with this http login, my phone could easily connect to the router wifi but I then had to access the system via a browser and was presented with the name + password login screen which was room number and a password, only then did I have internet access

had I not read this thread I would have struggled, but I also have now seen first hand what compass described

so all thanks due to those who did reply and explain the situation , glad you got this http login sorted , its certainly NOT the same as your home router login that you were trying in your own house , so one to bear in mind for the future