PDA

View Full Version : android 4.4 kitkat

echelon
26-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi all

my nexus 7 32 gb mark 1 has just updated to android 4.4 kitkat (the latest)

dOOds
26-11-2013, 10:56 PM
original matey? my boy has the 1st nexus....will look for updates..

Cheers

echelon
26-11-2013, 10:57 PM
afaik its a mark one , as its deffo not the latest one

mrdude
27-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Hi all

my nexus 7 32 gb mark 1 has just updated to android 4.4 kitkat (the latest)

Mine done this about 4 or 5 days ago m8 - I have it rooted already using 'Wugs Nexus Root Tookit' - which you can get from XDA developers - it only takes a few minutes to root or unroot.

echelon
27-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Mine done this about 4 or 5 days ago m8 - I have it rooted already using 'Wugs Nexus Root Tookit' - which you can get from XDA developers - it only takes a few minutes to root or unroot.

thanks

never rooted one and would not know any reason why I should as it does what I require "as is"

thanks for the info though

mrdude
27-11-2013, 12:43 AM
thanks

never rooted one and would not know any reason why I should as it does what I require "as is"

thanks for the info though

Some apps I use require root (give's you admin privilege's) but I guess if you don't need that access for anything - there's no point in doing it. Still at least you know it's easy to do and backwards compatible if you ever require the need.

TBH kit kit is not that much different from jelly bean, I suppose it's always nice to have the latest version of android though - that was my main reason for buying a tablet made for google. I have an Ipad mini as well (got it free from work) - but that's sitting in a box somewhere as android kicks ass!

Anrakh
27-11-2013, 01:10 AM
I rooted mine as well.
I wanted to be able to connect to a network using an OTG cable and a usb-ethernet adaptor.
It works fine.
The reason is that there's a relative's place I go to where the wifi is no good. The ethernet option takes care of it.

Burnham
27-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I've only had the Nexus for a week. Last night I saw the message "update available" - nothing to lose (I thought) - clicked System update, a few minutes later I had Android 4.4 Kitkat.

Checked a few apps, and found that some wmv files that played with the VLC app no longer worked. Uninstalled VLC and reinstalled - same problem. Did a search and tested MX Player - it worked perfectly. Much smoother than when VLC worked on Android 4.3. VLC now deleted.

Might be a good idea to check that all your apps work under Android 4.4 Kitkat - like me you will probably find a solution if any don't but worth checking.