PDA

View Full Version : SB6000, wireless and Homeplugs. A bit of advice

heyho
02-01-2014, 10:11 PM
This is my first experience of satellite and I'm still getting to grips with setting up the dish and motor.

But I do have quite a lot of experience around computer networking so I will share this with you so that you don't waste several days.

Tip 1 - any issues with wireless and or wired on Homeplugs on the SB6000 then first plug the SB6000 directly into the router and check that it connects ok and that things like youtube are working

(1) Wireless - couldn't get the SB6000 to connect to my home network despite the signal being good and other devices connecting ok. Anyway I have a wireless extender so I plonked the SB6000 right next to it. Managed to get 7% signal. When I plonked the SB6000 next to my wireless router I got nearly 100%. Played around with the wireless channel on the extender and managed to get it up to 37% but no higher. Worth a try playing around with channels if signal strength is an issue

(2) Wired - after showing that connected directly to the router worked fine I plugged it into one of my Homeplugs. Had mixed results i,e, Youtube didnt show any clips. I know the Homeplug is fine as I have it streaming to my Squeezebox (on the same electricity circuit as well). Anyway I needed a pass through Homeplug so I bought a TP-Link. This works fine and Youtube streams perfectly. Might be an issue with SB6000 and some Homeplugs.

Hope this might help.

I do know someone else that has a SB6000 and no issues at all with wireless but in case you do try my tips.

tamo
04-01-2014, 10:03 PM
This is my first experience of satellite and I'm still getting to grips with setting up the dish and motor.

But I do have quite a lot of experience around computer networking so I will share this with you so that you don't waste several days.

Tip 1 - any issues with wireless and or wired on Homeplugs on the SB6000 then first plug the SB6000 directly into the router and check that it connects ok and that things like youtube are working

(1) Wireless - couldn't get the SB6000 to connect to my home network despite the signal being good and other devices connecting ok. Anyway I have a wireless extender so I plonked the SB6000 right next to it. Managed to get 7% signal. When I plonked the SB6000 next to my wireless router I got nearly 100%. Played around with the wireless channel on the extender and managed to get it up to 37% but no higher. Worth a try playing around with channels if signal strength is an issue

(2) Wired - after showing that connected directly to the router worked fine I plugged it into one of my Homeplugs. Had mixed results i,e, Youtube didnt show any clips. I know the Homeplug is fine as I have it streaming to my Squeezebox (on the same electricity circuit as well). Anyway I needed a pass through Homeplug so I bought a TP-Link. This works fine and Youtube streams perfectly. Might be an issue with SB6000 and some Homeplugs.

Hope this might help.

I do know someone else that has a SB6000 and no issues at all with wireless but in case you do try my tips.

this is true with TPLIN wirless the spiderbox work perfeckly and streaming too well.

Sim7alb
04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Best way to conect it is to buy a netgear wifi signal booster and as soon as your booster get conected wirelesly with your hotpoint you should conect the netgear booster with your stb via ethernet cable . By this you do not neeed to enter paskey , wait for wifi delays and disconnections . It's simple and easy to do .