PDA

View Full Version : Can I still buy a V Box with a 5v output?

Gazzamo
16-01-2014, 05:30 PM
I am trying to reuse a motorised dish with a Chaparral H-H motor in a new digital system using a VU+ Duo2. The motor has 3 sensor connections from the old receiver (a Chaparral Monterey). Does anyone know if I can still get a V Box with the required extra 5v dc output?

Dave5118
16-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I believe you will need a v-box mk 3..... as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

I've sent you a link to 1 in a PM.

mikie8
16-01-2014, 11:12 PM
i use a fibo motor which requires a 5v+ . i had to mod my vbox as i could not find one to buy .

Burnham
17-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Moteck vBox II has 5v. Listed for sale with many online retailers.

Gazzamo
19-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I wondered about this positioner, but looking at images showing the back of the box, I can't see any connection point for the 5v wire. In fact I've just had a look at the image on a site in Cologne and I can only see motor, ground, sensor, and in and out F connectors

stars
19-01-2014, 08:40 PM
I have a Moteck vBox II with 5v output (the 5V output is for the optical sensor in the motor)
and this version is a rebuild of the normal Moteck Vbox II version.
No big deal only 5V DC feed to the sensor. So ask your dealer if he have got this
mod.

regards stars

Burnham
20-01-2014, 02:37 PM
My Moteck also has a 5v output terminal - I have just checked, and it is a large red knob on the back of the box.

I bought it from a UK dealer some years ago. It was standard stock back then, but the spec might have changed since.

Gazzamo
23-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I think I read a post on another forum which gave an outline of your mod to a Jaeger Superjack. I can wield a soldering iron, but would need a detailed components list and instructions to do this mod myself. I'm having no luck at all tracking down a Mk III box, so it may come down to modding a Mk II.

magician
23-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Would this help????

edited post no links to othere supplyers

captainglassback
23-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Wow! That looks a good bit of kit. My Echostar went wonky the other day so was looking to get a Chaparal out of retirement to drive my 1.2 Channel Master. This looks like a more sensible alternative. Are my assumptions correct in that this box is not connected to any stb but just to the dish? (Fortunately the wonderful Echostar has come back to life....for the time being!)

Mickha
23-01-2014, 01:20 PM
A V-Box II can be used as a stand alone positioner or used with a receiver.
You simply connect the wires, from your motor, to the V-Box positioner, then either use the supplied remote to position the dish, or better still, connect the V-Box to your receiver, using a piece of coax cable. Once done you can set the satellite positions, using the Diseqc 2 option, and manually allocate the satelite positions, using your receiver.
Once set up your receiver will move the dish when a channel, or satellite, is selected, it even works using the timer recroding settings, in your receiver.

mahler
23-01-2014, 09:22 PM
I am trying to reuse a motorised dish with a Chaparral H-H motor in a new digital system using a VU+ Duo2. The motor has 3 sensor connections from the old receiver (a Chaparral Monterey). Does anyone know if I can still get a V Box with the required extra 5v dc output?

I also have a fibo 1.2 mtr dish being used with a receiver not containing a five volt feed to the positioner, and there is nothing special about this 5 volts as it does not need to be high current capability, and only feeds a couple of small transistors.

What I did was to buy one of those small plugin power units used for charging mobile phones and lot's of other things, then connect the 5 volt positive connection to the dish, and the negative connection to the earth connection to the dish terminal block, and I could not actually source a exact 5 volts but six volt ones are ok, and have been working fine for 7 years.

To prevent forgetting I leave mine permanently plugged in but you could use a 13 amp switch socket if prefered.

Regards mahler.

Gazzamo
24-01-2014, 04:55 PM
I also have a fibo 1.2 mtr dish being used with a receiver not containing a five volt feed to the positioner, and there is nothing special about this 5 volts as it does not need to be high current capability, and only feeds a couple of small transistors.

What I did was to buy one of those small plugin power units used for charging mobile phones and lot's of other things, then connect the 5 volt positive connection to the dish, and the negative connection to the earth connection to the dish terminal block, and I could not actually source a exact 5 volts but six volt ones are ok, and have been working fine for 7 years.

To prevent forgetting I leave mine permanently plugged in but you could use a 13 amp switch socket if prefered.

Regards mahler.

That looks an interesting and practical solution. Just to be clear, would I take the positive feed from the charger, and connect to the wire going to the +5v connection on the motor, and connect the negative from the charger to ground on the V-box, which would also have the sensor and ground connections from the motor?

Regards

Gazzamo
24-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Would this help????

It might have! Who knows?

captainglassback
24-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Shame that link was removed as the exceptionally superb Goldwafers don't stock this kind of kit. Rules is rules I guess! Fortunately I kept a note of the bit of kit if anyone needs to solve this issue as indeed I will one day.

DCG
24-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Shame that link was removed as the exceptionally superb Goldwafers don't stock this kind of kit. Rules is rules I guess! Fortunately I kept a note of the bit of kit if anyone needs to solve this issue as indeed I will one day.

yes and rules are rules

@captainglassback
hers part of them

plz reread them

Links
No links are to be posted to other commercial satellite retailers other than our site sponsors.(respect our forum sponsor)
No http links to any other sites.
No http links to any other satellite forums.
No http links to file sites or upload centers.
[we have no way of knowing if files on other sites are safe for our members]
No links or referrals to items listed on @uction sites (that also includes item numbers)
No http links of any variety to be displayed in signatures or profiles.

Gazzamo
24-01-2014, 10:11 PM

I'd be more than happy to receive this information whatever means. My post count isn't high enough to send PM's yet.

Regards

magician
25-01-2014, 06:33 AM
My Bad!! Sorry.

Would this help????

Gazzamo
25-01-2014, 08:47 AM
My Bad!! Sorry.

Hi Magician,

Would it be possible for you to send the link to me via a pm?

Regards

Gazzamo
25-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks captainglassback!. Unfortunately, I tried this site for the Technomate more than a week ago. My order immediately went to status "Cancelled", and attempts to contact the site through email have so far gone unanswered. My Paypal payment is still sitting there. I must get around to cancelling it. I am trying to contact Technomate themselves to find out whether the product is still available. It would be the complete solution if it were.

Mickha
25-01-2014, 11:55 AM
The Technomate V Box MK3 DiSEqC Positioner is very old, in satellite terms, and it is unlikely you will find one availabler, but not impossible.
Why not try an internet search for "Technomate V Box MK3 DiSEqC Positioner" and contact any suppliers, to see if they have one in stock, or ask if they know of anything similar, that will do the same job.

Gazzamo
25-01-2014, 12:34 PM
captainglassback, site references had *'s after the three w's, so I'm unable to follow these leads. If you know that these sites have the box, it might be worthwhile trying the links in some other way? At this rate I'll have my required number of posts for pm's on this thread alone!

mahler
25-01-2014, 06:05 PM
That looks an interesting and practical solution. Just to be clear, would I take the positive feed from the charger, and connect to the wire going to the +5v connection on the motor, and connect the negative from the charger to ground on the V-box, which would also have the sensor and ground connections from the motor?

Regards

Yes Gazzmo that's correct, and you connect the small power unit exactly as you would if your receiver or Vbox had the five volt feed on it but in this case the 5 volt is independant to anything else.

Rrgards mahler.

magician
25-01-2014, 07:54 PM
SENT!! ;-p

Gazzamo
10-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Yes Gazzmo that's correct, and you connect the small power unit exactly as you would if your receiver or Vbox had the five volt feed on it but in this case the 5 volt is independant to anything else.

Rrgards mahler.

Well it's all up and working now, although I'm only receiving a few satellites between .8W and 19E (I think that while the dish wasn't being used it has moved east on its mounting post. It probably just needs realignment). I found an old phone charger that outputs 5.5v and I'm using that as you described to provide the voltage to the dish.

Many thanks