PDA

View Full Version : Can you remotely control 2.4m dish?

oregon
27-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi

I want it install a 2.4 Raven dish with motor at my house in the Midlands as I cannot install one where I live in London. If I went ahead with this, would I able to remotely move the dish and set the STB to record using internet?

Also, can anyone recommend a suitable motor and/or LNB? I mostly need to get feeds from 7e and 10e

Many thanks for any advise

digicon
27-01-2014, 11:59 AM
You could control it via a suitable Linux Enigma2 receiver in conjunction with a V-BoxII or similar, For this size of dish there is no alternative but a Superjack Actuator at least 36" heavy duty due to the size and weight of the dish

oregon
27-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks digicon - Do I buy a V Box II and connect this to the superjack actuator and receiver? Also, would you happen to know what the rough cost for this dish and installation would cost? It would be in the Birmingham area.

Many thanks

digicon
27-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I have no idea of the Cost of installation but if it was me i would be trying to source at least a 4" diameter High Grade Ground stand and some Heavy duty weighting system either Flags or Kerb Stones to place into the Ground Mount, The other alternative is to source a 4" diameter Heavy duty pole say 3m and sink at least 1.5m into a concrete base in the ground.

Cost of the dish alone i would expect to cost in the region of around £1500 this is for the Dish face and Support Arms. You would have to source the rear Polar mount separately as it is no longer Manufactured by Raven.

I cannot quote the site on here due to forum rules but if you search primesat this will lead you to the polar mount again no idea on the price.

One company Quotes just short of £3000 for the whole Lot minus the Ground Mount but i think if you shop around you should be able to get everything for under £2500.

ABA
27-01-2014, 04:17 PM
ive got a 2.3 prime focus dish down the bottom of the garden had it for over 20 years its on a 16 foot 4 inch steel pole sunk in to the ground with 2 sq meters of conny at the base the pole is sunk about 2m in to the ground the pole its self is filled with conny as well evan this would sway in the wind so i got a load of angle iron and welded it up like a pillon that stopped it swaying used to go about 60 dg each way was told later that with that much mast sticking out the ground it would have been better made of square steel tube with a 4 inch steel round pole welded in to the top and yes they were right it would have been stronger

FROM ANDREWS £ 2999.00

and thats for a fixed dish not h 2 h
looked all over carnt find a h 2 h mount

Raven 2.4m Fibreglass Satellite Dish

The Channel Master / Raven 2.4m Offset Satellite Dish is a rugged commercial grade product suitable for the most demanding applications. The reflector is thermoset-molded for strength and surface accuracy. Molded into the rear of the reflector is a network of support ribs which not only strengthens the antenna, but also helps to sustain its critical ********* shape in all weathers.
The Az/El mount is constructed from heavy-gauge steel to provide a rigid support to the reflector. The Az/El mount secures the antenna to any 6inch O.D. mast and prevents slippage in high winds. A specially formulated powder paint process offers excellent protection from weather-related corrosion.

• All materials comply with EU directive No. 2002/95/EC (RoHS).
• Two-piece thermoset-molded offset reflector.
• Single bolt fine elevation adjustment.
• Fine azimuth adjustment.
• Galvanized 19 mm (.75”) O.D. feed support legs.
• Factory pre-assembled mount.
• Plated hardware for maximum corrosion resistance.
• Hot dip galvanized Az/El mount.

links removed sorry.

oregon
27-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all that info , I will check out the sites and info suggested. Much appreciated

Barney
28-01-2014, 01:08 AM
much like above poster ABA this is a similar set up to mine
i have a 2 meter prime focus dish works perfect with Superjack 24" heavy actuator [ previously had 32" Superjack untill it got wet inside ]
Superjack is really the best actuator arm you will buy but lots of fakes around so be carefull
The Polar mount i have is a matching polar mount for this dish i was lucky enuff to buy the Dish and polar mount from a very good friend of mine he was gonna dump it infact so he sold it to me real cheap i got a bargain of a lifetime that day ..£50 plus i had to get it delivered via courier for extra £70 but really ive never looked back since i luv my 2m dish its totally reliable like no other dish best thing ive ever bought infact .
had it now about 5 or 6 years i use Motek V-box in my shed to drive dish as once postions are stored you'll never need to look at V-box ever again they dont give problems .

i can use either my Dm800SE HD or TM5402 M2 HD or even my dm600s SD boxes to drive dish once you get a big dish like this tracking the arc with a good inverto black Ultra C120 LNB you'll never need to make any further adjustments even changing the actuator arm is simple job just mark the old one and replace exactly the way old arm came off works every time .
big bonus with ground mounted dish is you'll never need to use a ladder ever again i cant stress enuff how great that is on a cold wet night if you have any minor issues to deal with believe me .
i got a 2 and three quarter inch heavy galvanised pole 7ft long from a guy that was building a house nearby for free
made a good deep hole more than 2ft deep and got pole totally level which is the key to everything then sank more than 10 bags of cement mixed with gravel and sand into the hole and luckliy on top i have lots of concrete slabs on the ground to cover everything
ive seen winds upwards of 145kmph and dish rocked a bit here & there but never needed any adjusting and never lost any signal as yet,
i also got a fair bit of silicone around where the polar mount sits on the pole so dish cant slide at all its a perfect fit anyhow .
i also have another 1.2m offset channel master dish ground mounted just in front alongside of my 2 meter dish but neither dish affecting the other dish as prime focus dish is elevated much higher at all times around the arc
wont bore you to death with further details but thats my set up and i advise you to simply go for it if you can get a big dish motorised you will get great signals on every sat especially a major boost when looking for 10e and 7e feeds like i do it wont ever be a problem .

good luck : )

---
Barney

BillyBits
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
oregon
"Can you remotely control 2.4m dish? "

There is an option if you want to remotely control a distant piece of equipment via the internet.

You can use a Slingbox which has the advantage that you can also view the video/audio output of the receiver as well as have full control of all the satellites receiver's functions.
The Slingbox goes next to your satellite receiver and has an infra red transmitter on a cable that points at the receiver.
The video/audio from the satellite receiver goes into the Slingbox as well as an internet connection.

At the remote site you have a PC/Laptop with the SlingPlayer software on it.
This logs into the Slingbox and receives the video/audio while sending any remote control signals via the SlingPlayers on-screen remote.
There are remote bin files for quite a lot of satellite receivers that are used by the Slingbox to match all the functions of the hand remote in software.
The video quality depends on the model of Slingbox you use and the internet bandwidth.
Its best to have an unlimited internet connection as you are sending lots of video.
The Slingbox system is adaptive to the broadband bandwidth - lowers/raises quality to match the broadband connection.
You can also get all the same functions on an Android device if you purchase the app (£20ish).

I've been using Slingbox Classic (SD quality) for a few years now to remotely link into my Spiderbox while traveling with my laptop and phone.
You can pick up a secondhand Classic for £20-£30 to experiment with. There are HD versions.
The SlingPlayer for Windows is free.

BillyBits