PDA

View Full Version : Catch up channels

MUTN
06-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a 6000 and it's come with a couple of websites preloaded on the multimedia menu, I want to change these for the bbc/itv catch up sites etc, any ideas how I do this please?

MUTN
06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Ok thanks, it's just I'd been told it was, hence the question. How did they get the other websites on there??

echelon
06-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Ok thanks, it's just I'd been told it was, hence the question. How did they get the other websites on there??

its a bespoke box with bespoke firmware (closed source) , clearly the programmers with access to the SDK code have added those sites (like y*upron) into the menu but as its closed source only they can change the sites used, add them , or remove them

there are boxes you can buy with linux based firmware (open source) like the VU range that allow you to add plugins like ondemand which also allow many other changes, like epg downloading , change backgrounds, customise the GUI - change the background colour/image, remove unwanted menu or plugin items (youp**n etc) , add websites , add 1channel or icefilms , connect to a nas , etc

you get what you pay for, which with closed source boxes means you get what the programmers tell you you are getting

the one item you can change on the 6000 is adding iptv sites to the variable list , as do***ented in the IPTV threads in this 6000 section , bearing in mind these are public links so may fail soon after publication , the links are not specifically for the spiderbox users and can be used in vlc and many other pc programs, as well as in linux based boxes too

its a good box for the price, but do not expect miracles from a low budget machine

so limited iptv = yes, changing aspects in the firmware = no (not unless the programmer who has access to the firmware source code decided to change it himself)

MUTN
06-02-2014, 11:04 AM
its a bespoke box with bespoke firmware (closed source) , clearly the programmers with access to the SDK code have added those sites (like y*upron) into the menu but as its closed source only they can change the sites used, add them , or remove them

there are boxes you can buy with linux based firmware (open source) like the VU range that allow you to add plugins like ondemand which also allow many other changes, like epg downloading , change backgrounds, customise the GUI - change the background colour/image, remove unwanted menu or plugin items (youp**n etc) , add websites , add 1channel or icefilms , connect to a nas , etc

you get what you pay for, which with closed source boxes means you get what the programmers tell you you are getting

the one item you can change on the 6000 is adding iptv sites to the variable list , as do***ented in the IPTV threads in this 6000 section , bearing in mind these are public links so may fail soon after publication , the links are not specifically for the spiderbox users and can be used in vlc and many other pc programs, as well as in linux based boxes too

its a good box for the price, but do not expect miracles from a low budget machine

so limited iptv = yes, changing aspects in the firmware = no (not unless the programmer who has access to the firmware source code decided to change it himself)

Thanks for the information that's been really really helpful. I've been looking at changing to a VU box, they seem to offer so much more. Do they allow you to watch one channel and record another?

MUTN
06-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Yes if lnb allows etc.

Sorry as you've probably realised I'm a bit of a novice here, what do you mean?

jbvid
06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Sorry as you've probably realised I'm a bit of a novice here, what do you mean?
Google LNB is your friend, some have more that one output for connecting to twin tuner receivers or a second receiver. If you are a novice I would suggest reading plenty about the VU and Linux receivers first, long learning curve.
Please keep on Spiderbox topic.
jb

echelon
06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
spiderbox is single tuner so requires one coaxial output from the lnb

other boxes can be single , twin or multiple tuners so require one coaxial output for each tuner , so if you were using a single feed lnb on your dish then you would have to swap it to a dual or quad output lnb in order to fully utilise a dual tuner receiver like the vu solo 2 or duo 2

moving this to HD sat chat as becoming less of a spiderbox convo and more of the differences compared between different boxes and multiple tuners and various lnb,s

Roadrunner
06-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Or get a unicable LNB if you only have one cable running from the dish to the box and split the cable to two behind the receiver using two way splitter