PDA

View Full Version : EPG and Channel Listing problems on S1600CHD

DigitalGhost
12-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I've just recently installed the latest patched firmware for the S1600 and I have downloaded the latest Astra2 channel listing file from the FTP server.

Most if not all of the channels seem to work but I have the following problems with it:

1. Too many channels seem to be coming through (e.g. multiple region versions of ITV). Is there a quick fix for that?
2. The EPG often appears blank until a channel is selected or will be old cached listings information (e.g. a 20:00 listing will be displayed at 21:00 unless the OK button is pressed to view that channel which forces an EPG update).
3. Only HD channels are grouped automatically. The others need to be filtered using the page listings or the alphabetised list.

Does anyone know if these problems can be fixed or if I'm doing something wrong? This is my first satellite receiver so this could all just be my mistake.

echelon
12-03-2014, 12:24 PM
point 1) when you use a third party sat receiver you will receive all the bbc and itv channels , so all regions etc, its your task to put these into some sort of order and archive or move the unwanted regional channels out of the way , leaving the channel list in the order you require and only the regional channels you require

on various boxes this involves using the inbuilt channel editor on the receiver and moving channels around, also on a lot of boxes there is a favourites option where you add your preferred channels into them, usually you move them around in the favs too, until you get an order you like

so its not like freeview or freesat or sly where its all done for you , meaning you the owner has to do this tidying up work and altering your channel list to suit yourself

my answers above reflect what is done on any third party box, I dont have your box but am sure the same principles apply

the same details above may apply to point 3) too

as for point 2) epg issues crop up a lot on third party boxes, so you have to work out how any epg updates are actually achieved , many boxes dont even have anything better than now and next

DigitalGhost
12-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, I thought that might be the case regarding points 1 and 3 to be honest but I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing something simple before diving into arranging all of the channel lists myself.

Regarding point 2, the box does show now and next and there's a function which will display even further than that but the problem is that it doesn't seem to read/update EPG at all unless a channel from that page on the EPG menu is selected. It shows EPG listings for channels that have recently been watched but the listings are cached/stale and usually incorrect by that point. You have to select the channel again to receive an updated EPG listing. I'm not sure if this might just be a limitation of a budget-end box really.

echelon
12-03-2014, 01:02 PM
most boxes that have an epg that is more than now and next require updating on certain channels or from the internet , so do not assume they are like sly or freeview

so what you need to do is ascertain how your box achieves 24/7 epg updating and the frequency that it needs doing, also check where the epg data is stored (in the flash memory or usb stick or hdd)

once you know how it achieves the updates, which channel is may use or if its via the internet, then determine the storage aspect and use the best possible

at the moment on my vu duo I have to update my epg once a week using either opentv epg update or internet updating like rytek , if I were to use a newer image there is a method whereby the automated process happens on one of the 2 feeds (its a twin tuner) but I have not updated my crossepg plugin to do this

so on your box its important to know if it can be done , when it needs to be done, if it can be automated and where it is stored

I cannot tell you this as I dont own one, but the same principle applies to any third party box

the problem being most people expect 24/7/365 automatic epg updating like on sly or freeview or freesat, but they use bespoke epg`s

DigitalGhost
12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks. I know for sure that it isn't caching EPG data to external storage as there is no external storage connected to the box. EPG data was being received for all of the channels before any cam details were modified so I think that information is received from the Satellite feed. I'm guessing that EPG cache is stored to flash but the available space may be quite slow or limited.

I can download list updates for it from the FTP server that is built into the firmware build (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?160937-Icecrypt-S1600C-HD-patched-firmware&p=899852&viewfull=1#post899852) but I think that process has to be initiated manually and I have tried doing it several times already.

To be honest, the out of date record caching and missing EPG for some channels unless they are selected is causing a bigger headache for me than anything else. Selecting a channel from the list seems to manually force the box to download/sync the EPG data for that channel otherwise it doesn't seem to bother.

indio77
13-05-2014, 02:46 PM
hello I installed the latest firmware S1600_1.6.16.abs but when I do the 'update FTP server I can not see the channel list updated hotbird13Est Italy abs because it is only updated astra?

thanks

ColdAsICE
14-05-2014, 05:31 PM
indio
You can use the channel lists from older firmwares on the ftp, just select one with the 13Est and use the Channel list upgrade only option not software and channel list.
This will just load the channel list so you will also keep the newer firmware with these channels settings.

indio77
14-05-2014, 07:58 PM
ok it takes more time but that's okay

ColdAsICE
19-05-2014, 03:35 PM
all ftp firmware and channel lists have been updated.

dangerous brain
06-12-2015, 07:43 PM
This FTP server I see posted about, where is it? Could someone PM the address please? I am struggling with finding downloads such as crossepg for my box.